Issue - Android Auto rebooting phones

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
It's been posted a few times now on this forum, so it seems like a definite issue. Perhaps if we dedicate a thread to it, a pattern will emerge.

If your phone reboots when you try to use Android Auto, post your phone model, version of Android, and Sync4 version level. Also, post any troubleshooting steps you perfomed and what the outcome was
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheSteelRider

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
FWIW, User @CP-Mach-E took his car into the dealer, and the dealer claimed

I just got back from picking up the car. The result is pretty much what I expected:

Navigation
It was a 'configuration error'. No idea about the specifics, but the navigation is working properly now.

Wi-Fi
They connected it to the Wi-Fi at the dealer and concluded that it was working fine. It still refused to connect to my Wi-Fi when I got home.

I'll be spending the weekend to see if I can get the Wi-Fi working. I'm pretty sure it is an DHCP issue. I'll update the thread as I find out more.

Android Auto
Apparently there is an issue with Android Auto that hopefully will be fixed in the next OTA update.

The good news is that I got lots of love from Ford. I got a call from the Executive Liaison for the CEO of Ford Canada. That was pretty cool.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
Having Android auto issues too. I was able to pair the phone but none of the auto functions work. When I select "Android Auto" it says to add a phone, I click there, and my phone is shown, but it won't actually do anything. Bluetooth audio doesn't work either.

When I plug in via USB, my phone instantly reboots.

I have a OnePlus 6T with android version 10. Android Auto is version 6.0.615334-release.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
Wanted to chime in that I'm not 100% sure this issue is solely with the Mach-E. I believe those that have encountered the issue have all been running Android 11 on their phones, there seems to be known issues with Android 11 and Android Auto, according to this post below:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/11/02/android-auto-broken-android-11/
I have Android 11 on my brand new samsung galaxy s21 ultra and it's working fine on my 2019 Bolt as of today, so the issues is not fully across the board. But honestly everyday is a crap shoot when AA so I just cross my fingers and say a prayer everytime I plug in my phone ?

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I have Android 11 on my brand new samsung galaxy s21 ultra and it's working fine on my 2019 Bolt as of today, so the issues is not fully across the board. But honestly everyday is a crap shoot when AA so I just cross my fingers and say a prayer everytime I plug in my phone ?
Yea - I think I spoke too soon. Saw someone post with issues on Android 10.

I still love Android, but I'm not too ashamed to say I switched to the dark side earlier in 2020 and haven't really looked back as far as my main personal phone goes. It's nice that almost everything "just works" without fussing. My entire smart home setup is still voiced by the Google ecosystem though (Google Homes/Nvidia Shield TV/etc.), which continues to work well, even with iPhones.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
It's been posted a few times now on this forum, so it seems like a definite issue. Perhaps if we dedicate a thread to it, a pattern will emerge.

If your phone reboots when you try to use Android Auto, post your phone model, version of Android, and Sync4 version level. Also, post any troubleshooting steps you perfomed and what the outcome was
So here's something strange. Saturday morning, I went and tried to plug in my Pixel 4 XL to get Android working through USB-C. Worked fine (Wireless still won't work for me). I used the USB-C wire that comes with the phone to charge it. So I figured : "Great, that works! I'll order some USB Cables from Amazon".

I received the cables today, went and plugged in my phone with the new 3rd Party Cable. Phone keeps rebooting... I spin the USB-C wire, phone stops rebooting, but Android Auto doesn't work. Going to try tomorrow to re-use the USB-C Wire that I got with the phone to see if the problems persist... but could be related to poor USB-C wires?

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
So here's something strange. Saturday morning, I went and tried to plug in my Pixel 4 XL to get Android working through USB-C. Worked fine (Wireless still won't work for me). I used the USB-C wire that comes with the phone to charge it. So I figured : "Great, that works! I'll order some USB Cables from Amazon".

I received the cables today, went and plugged in my phone with the new 3rd Party Cable. Phone keeps rebooting... I spin the USB-C wire, phone stops rebooting, but Android Auto doesn't work. Going to try tomorrow to re-use the USB-C Wire that I got with the phone to see if the problems persist... but could be related to poor USB-C wires?
When the Pixel 2 first came out, there were a lot of problems related to cheap cables. There was even a list someone compiled of cables on Amazon and if they caused problems. I could see that having an effect with the current situation.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Android Auto connectivity issues are fairly common with cheap cables. I've seen problems getting various phones to work on my dad's Hondas and Hyundais, until we swapped out the cables. Usually it's that the phone either won't charge and/or won't connect to the head unit.

Try to look for USB C cables that are short enough to suit your needs (i.e., don't go overboard with long lengths), check for product details indicating support for data transfer, and look for customer comments indicating that they're working well with Android Auto.

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
Android Auto connectivity issues are fairly common with cheap cables. I've seen problems getting various phones to work on my dad's Hondas and Hyundais, until we swapped out the cables. Usually it's that the phone either won't charge and/or won't connect to the head unit.

Try to look for USB C cables that are short enough to suit your needs (i.e., don't go overboard with long lengths), check for product details indicating support for data transfer, and look for customer comments indicating that they're working well with Android Auto.
So I tried again this morning with the original USB-C Wire that came with the phone and no luck anymore :( The second I plug in the phone in the car it reboots the phone and when the phone opens up, it automatically reboots the phone again.

As for the 3rd Party Wires, they seem to have a direction. I know in my wife's Civic, I was using Android Auto connected by a cable that was USB to USB-C. If I didn't put the USB-C side in a specific way (it had writing on it, the writing had to match the same orientation as my phone's screen) the cable would not detec the phone properly, which is stupid because one of the reasons for USB-C is so people stop plugging the wire upside down and it not fit.

So I get the same issue with the Amazon USB-C wires I bought. If I put the wright on the same orientation as my screen, the phone reboots when I plug it in the MME, but when I put the wire "upside down" nothing happens (as if there was no connection).

So for some reason, I got Android Auto to work with USB-C once :p Will do more tests and see.. I rebooted Sync4 this morning to see if it changed something, didn't change anything.

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
So I tried again this morning with the original USB-C Wire that came with the phone and no luck anymore :( The second I plug in the phone in the car it reboots the phone and when the phone opens up, it automatically reboots the phone again.

As for the 3rd Party Wires, they seem to have a direction. I know in my wife's Civic, I was using Android Auto connected by a cable that was USB to USB-C. If I didn't put the USB-C side in a specific way (it had writing on it, the writing had to match the same orientation as my phone's screen) the cable would not detec the phone properly, which is stupid because one of the reasons for USB-C is so people stop plugging the wire upside down and it not fit.

So I get the same issue with the Amazon USB-C wires I bought. If I put the wright on the same orientation as my screen, the phone reboots when I plug it in the MME, but when I put the wire "upside down" nothing happens (as if there was no connection).

So for some reason, I got Android Auto to work with USB-C once :p Will do more tests and see.. I rebooted Sync4 this morning to see if it changed something, didn't change anything.
We should not have to be doing all of this analysis. Very disappointed in the QA of the software-related components. Hopefully, someone is working on an update for both car and phone.
Sponsored