Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
As we know the California drought is getting pretty severe. I just got a letter from my city stating that washing a car at home or using a service to wash a car is now forbidden. I guess my Mach E will be going dirty.

In addition to that watering lawns is forbidden and trees/shrubs can only be watered once per week using low flow/drip systems. There's a 60 day extension on the shrubs to allow the installation of low flow systems.

Violations could end up with flow restrictors being placed on the home causing showers to turn into drip systems and washing machines and dish washers becoming unusable. Some tough times ahead.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
As we know the California drought is getting pretty severe. I just got a letter from my city stating that washing a car at home or using a service to wash a car is now forbidden. I guess my Mach E will be going dirty.

In addition to that watering lawns is forbidden and trees/shrubs can only be watered once per week using low flow/drip systems. There's a 60 day extension on the shrubs to allow the installation of low flow systems.

Violations could end up with flow restrictors being placed on the home causing showers to turn into drip systems and washing machines and dish washers becoming unusable. Some tough times ahead.
Get yourself a California duster brush and the Meguiars detailer spray, just wanna get the surface dirt off before you use the spray so you donā€™t get swirls

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Time to go waterless:

Folks in cold climates have used this approach in garages during the winter for years.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag

What city are you in? So far here in South Orange County I haven't been notified... yet. My guess I'll probably get a similar letter soon.

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
What city are you in? So far here in South Orange County I haven't been notified... yet. My guess I'll probably get a similar letter soon.
Thousand Oaks.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Itā€™s only going to get worse. Lake Mead dropped another 10 feet in the last 5 weeks. Itā€™s now more than 180ā€™ below full pool. This has ramifications not only for water supplies, but also power generation.

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Itā€™s only going to get worse. Lake Mead dropped another 10 feet in the last 5 weeks. Itā€™s now more than 180ā€™ below full pool. This has ramifications not only for water supplies, but also power generation.
Yeah, we've already been warned of rolling blackouts.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Not to go too off topic, but just to the left of California is a fairly large body of water - the Pacific Ocean. Iā€™ve never seen a good reason offered for why California just doesnā€™t do what they do in the Middle East and desalinate ocean water for use?

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Not to go too off topic, but just to the left of California is a fairly large body of water - the Pacific Ocean. Iā€™ve never seen a good reason offered for why California just doesnā€™t do what they do in the Middle East and desalinate ocean water for use?
I'm no expert on this. From my limited knowledge I think it comes down to these two issues:
1. Power/electricity needed to drive the desal plants is very high. Supposedly needing a dedicated power source just for the plant! This would effectively raise the cost of water by orders of magnitudes from what I recall reading some time ago.
2. The excess brine that results from the desalination process would need to go somewhere. To do this an environmentally friendly manner, it would mean NOT dumping it back into the ocean. This would also further compound the cost of water issue.

There's also the smaller issue of reduced sea life around the desal plants. Again, not an expert. Just what I've come across in the past.

I'm in Far East Los Angeles. I haven't gotten a letter to NOT wash my car yet. But I can't water my lawn.

Edit:
The Lake Mead comment, yes. That's been concerning me for some time now. That's where a lot of the water comes from for SoCal. We're absolutely screwed right now.

Edit 2:
Actually, the entire South West USA is screwed in terms of water.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

Need rain in Colorado. Seriously, lots of rain there Woukā€™s help the nice night Colorado River and that would help SoCals water needs an awful lot.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
There is a plant in San Diego. Environmentalists just recently blocked plans for building one near LA.

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
This was rejected (reasons: environmentalists and tribal nations concerns for marine life, and cost), plan was to have a desal plant in Huntington Beach and had backing from the Gov.

Full Report

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
weird we had a decent amount of rain this winter in SoCal

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
We have had an unseasonably cold Spring on the West Coast of Canada. I expect a lot of snow pack to melt here quickly. They are warning of more floods in the Valley here. Iā€™m hoping some of this water makes it to our friends in California, as well as some Hydro Electricity. Good luck.
Sponsored