Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda pilot
Occupation
Travel agent
Country flag
Ford emailed me this morning to tell me that my deposit was being refunded, and if I felt like this was in error to call the dealership. When I talked to my dealership, I explained that I was under the impression that my deposit would be counted towards the down payment, and come off of the purchase price of the vehicle. But they said it was Ford's policy to refund that money. I was mainly worried that something had happened and my order had been canceled (which would be the ultimate slap in the face since it allegedly went into production yesterday). The dealership said that my order was still good and that was standard operating procedures.

Does that sound right to everyone on here? Have you heard something similar from your dealership or received a refund of your deposit back from Ford?
Should I be freaking out right now? Or does that all seem normal? It's been about 13 years since I've ordered a brand new car, and don't even remember if I put down a deposit for them to even refund at this point.
My original deposit was refunded at time of reservation conversion, at same time my dealer took the order deposit. I reserved on first day back in November 2019
Sponsored

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
All seems to be figured out now, dealer sent me a follow-up email and explained that since he knew I was going to purchase it for sure that they didn't want to hold that money over my head like some dealers may. It would also alleviate some paperwork during the purchase. So my freak out wasn't warranted, but hopefully, it helps if anyone else has a similar situation arise.
That's actually pretty awesome and proactive on the dealer's part. I'm glad to hear some dealers are that customer focused. Mine, unfortunately, is not. Hopefully your dealer's attitude spreads!

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
That's actually pretty awesome and proactive on the dealer's part. I'm glad to hear some dealers are that customer focused. Mine, unfortunately, is not. Hopefully your dealer's attitude spreads!
Well I did have to call and try to get an explanation first, but was very cool of the internet director to email me back an explanation. Would have saved me some stress if they could have explained it before the refund was processed. But water under the bridge, looking forward to the next step in the buying process.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
That's what I was thinking, I'm not so much concerned about them keeping the money towards the purchase price, versus me having the cash on hand as I was about the car being canceled. I hadn't read about anyone else getting a deposit refunded so it sounded weird to me.

Maybe one of the Ford insiders on the board can offer some insight.
Yeah I am with you - would be concerned about canceled order

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
Ford emailed me this morning to tell me that my deposit was being refunded, and if I felt like this was in error to call the dealership. When I talked to my dealership, I explained that I was under the impression that my deposit would be counted towards the down payment, and come off of the purchase price of the vehicle. But they said it was Ford's policy to refund that money. I was mainly worried that something had happened and my order had been canceled (which would be the ultimate slap in the face since it allegedly went into production yesterday). The dealership said that my order was still good and that was standard operating procedures.

Does that sound right to everyone on here? Have you heard something similar from your dealership or received a refund of your deposit back from Ford?
Should I be freaking out right now? Or does that all seem normal? It's been about 13 years since I've ordered a brand new car, and don't even remember if I put down a deposit for them to even refund at this point.
This is correct, the reservation funds get refunded back

This is evident if you request Ford Credit, it shows that the £1,000 deposit (UK anyway) doesnt reduce the total price as it's purely a holding deposit

I wouldn't stress

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That depends:

When I made the reservation I paid the $ to Ford. When I converted my reservation to and order Ford refunded my deposit and I made a 2nd one to the dealer--Ford didn't transfer my deposit to the dealer (was a wash anyway as it was the same amount).

So perhaps that was Ford returning your initial deposit that wasn't going to the dealer.
Same here, reservation deposit was refunded when I placed the order and a separate deposit was made to the dealer.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
The dealership said that my order was still good and that was standard operating procedures.
The dealership is right...your deposit to Ford is refunded when you place the dealer order. HOWEVER, you should now take that $500 and put it down as a deposit at the DEALERSHIP. Don't let them talk you out of it, until you've put "earnest money" down at the dealership, they can sell it to anyone that they want to, for whatever price.

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium AWD ER; '21 Mini SE (EV)
Country flag
My order (not reservation) deposit was refunded to my credit card last month because the dealership changed ownership. Per both Ford and the dealer my order is still good, they are just no longer holding my deposit. I saw someone else's post with the same situation, different dealership. Would have expected the deposit to stay with the dealership despite the ownership change, but that is not how it worked.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
My order (not reservation) deposit was refunded to my credit card last month because the dealership changed ownership. Per both Ford and the dealer my order is still good, they are just no longer holding my deposit. I saw someone else's post with the same situation, different dealership. Would have expected the deposit to stay with the dealership despite the ownership change, but that is not how it worked.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.
My dealer requested an additonal 500$ and now it shows on my order letter/contract a $1000 deposit. So somehow my dealer got the first and second $500. Go figure. No car yet or production date.

JamesInWeston

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ordered 8-25-21: 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E CalRt1
Occupation
Risk Management/Insurance
Country flag
I would be concerned & fearful of the dealer lusting after the opportunity to sell the almost-your car to a walk-in for the huge ADMs they can charge (vs. whatever price was on your ford.com order).

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The dealership is right...your deposit to Ford is refunded when you place the dealer order. HOWEVER, you should now take that $500 and put it down as a deposit at the DEALERSHIP. Don't let them talk you out of it, until you've put "earnest money" down at the dealership, they can sell it to anyone that they want to, for whatever price.
Did you check the date of this post at all? I've had my car for months and have over 6000 miles on the car. thanks though.

EpicMachE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME, FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag

It is true, I placed my online order online when you get the conformation screen it says "You'll also receive a full refund of your Ford Reservation Deposit now that your order has been made." No worries...

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is true, I placed my online order online when you get the conformation screen it says "You'll also receive a full refund of your Ford Reservation Deposit now that your order has been made." No worries...
Thanks I have 7000 miles on my MME, this was posted months ago lol

dbonsett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
That doesn't make sense to me. As far as I know the deposit does go to the purchase price
My dealer asked for $1500 and a copy of my license. Deposit check not cashed until delivery. Plus signed build sheet. Took 10 days to get the confirmation from Ford.
Sponsored