Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Phone is pixel XL, latest Android version.
Ford app is 4.12.1
How about the car? When was its build date and have you have any updates performed? Also which pixel?

I wouldn't be so sure the dealer updated the car. I've seen many many times where the car wasn't updated like they claimed.

Send me a DM with your VIN and I'll check if you actually got the updates.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I am not able to imagine any "cause" other than bad programming.

The car clearly knows that:
1. Key is not detected (it says so, right on the IPC)
2. Brake is depressed
3. Start button is depressed

It should be dead-simple to program - when those three things happen, display prompt for backup passcode. But apparently, Ford has added a random number generator to intermittently prevent the prompt from appearing.
That's far too generic for my blood. I want to know what causes it and, at least, how to remedy it. I'm not going to point fingers and say "my grandma could program better".

In my limited analysis of the passcode issue it appears to be more prevalent when users have performed multiple or partial PaaK setup attempts. Resetting PaaK, from the car, and starting fresh, ensuring the passcode is successfully set has so far proven to make it reliable. I just don't have enough input to say for certain that it's a surefire solution.

OP
OP

AkMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Car was purchased Feb 2021.
Pixel 4 XL android version 12

EGmachE

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE CR1
Country flag
Yes. This has happened to me as well. I test out the backup once a week now. Sadly the dealership won't do the 21p22 since I'm out of the window date.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Car was purchased Feb 2021.
Pixel 4 XL android version 12
Send me a DM with your VIN. Also for Android make sure you have excluded the FP app from power management, give it always GPS access and don't hide the PaaK notification ( it's ok to minimize it ). That will improve on reliability.

cdale12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 289 Convertible, 21 GB GTPE MME
Country flag
I use Paak 100% of the time. Don't carry my fob. I have a 9/21 GTPE with no updates and it works all the time. Once in a while when I start driving the car, it will notify me that the key is not detected. I just click OK and continue on and it's fine. Never had Paak fail and never had to use the backup code. Just lucky I guess?

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
That's far too generic for my blood. I want to know what causes it and, at least, how to remedy it. I'm not going to point fingers and say "my grandma could program better".
It could be sensor inputs, but it's not - the car clearly detects the necessary conditions, but sometimes fails to deliver the correct response. Even if the problem is more prevalent, or less prevalent following resets, that's not much of a clue, because the prevalence should be zero, regardless of resets.

This is not genericism, nor finger-pointing. I literally can think of no other cause that would produce the results I see. Can you?

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
PAAK is too flaky even after the update. l never go far without a fob. I now have 3 fobs as the 3rd one can be programmed by the owner of the car, cheap insurance.
Man,

That sucks big time dealing with Fob issues, App issues.....SMH

I take delivery soon for my GTPE.....Does it come with 2 key fobs?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I use Paak 100% of the time. Don't carry my fob. I have a 9/21 GTPE with no updates and it works all the time. Once in a while when I start driving the car, it will notify me that the key is not detected. I just click OK and continue on and it's fine. Never had Paak fail and never had to use the backup code. Just lucky I guess?
No, I think more people it works like this, I’m the same way too, you’ll just see more complaints on a forum

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It could be sensor inputs, but it's not - the car clearly detects the necessary conditions, but sometimes fails to deliver the correct response. Even if the problem is more prevalent, or less prevalent following resets, that's not much of a clue, because the prevalence should be zero, regardless of resets.

This is not genericism, nor finger-pointing. I literally can think of no other cause that would produce the results I see. Can you?
How do you know it detects all necessary conditions? All it takes is for your phone to drop BT to switch over for a second and you’ll get No Key Detected. I’ve literally done this on the iPhone, if you have the car parked and you’ve been using other apps, open the camera app and Boom the car says NKD. It’s 90% the phones fault.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
How do you know it detects all necessary conditions? All it takes is for your phone to drop BT to switch over for a second and you’ll get No Key Detected. I’ve literally done this on the iPhone, if you have the car parked and you’ve been using other apps, open the camera app and Boom the car says NKD. It’s 90% the phones fault.
Think about it....

The problem Devsecops and I are discussing is the intermittent failure of the Mustang to present the on-screen prompt for the backup start passcode. This prompt should be displayed when you attempt to start the car with no key present. The necessary condition is that the phone (or any other key) NOT be detected. We know for a fact that the key is not detected - the IPC displays a message saying: "Key not detected". Pretty conclusive, right?

Now, if you want to talk about PAAK problems, that's another story. This is about the backup start passcode not working reliably.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Think about it....

The problem Devsecops and I are discussing is the intermittent failure of the Mustang to present the on-screen prompt for the backup start passcode. This prompt should be displayed when you attempt to start the car with no key present. The necessary condition is that the phone (or any other key) NOT be detected. We know for a fact that the key is not detected - the IPC displays a message saying: "Key not detected". Pretty conclusive, right?

Now, if you want to talk about PAAK problems, that's another story. This is about the backup start passcode not working reliably.
100% agree.
The phone shouldn't factor into the equation as far as I understand.
Press the brake, press the button and the car should look for a fob or phone. if not found then present the prompt for backup start code. Seems simple to me.

alockbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
This is most likely the issue… PAAK got deactivated or not set up … I have PAAK but don’t leave the House without the fob.. as PAAK can be erratic
I have experimented a lot and have come to the conclusion that PaaK + fob nearby is a recipe for flakiness.

I wrote this on another post about PaaK being flaky with welcome lights but it applies to more:

I had the fob what I thought was far enough away. Clearly it uses two different protocols or levels of "sensing" when I moved the fob much further, my Paak has worked reliably for a few days.

I also tried a highly rated faraday key fob sleeve from amazon (2 pack) and had exactly the same issue. Enough signal was blocked that I could use paak, but not enough that it would believe the fob was gone and welcome lights functioned. Door buttons were flaky too. Very strange.

My solution was this:

For the fob in the house, I keep the key in the sleeve and the combination of distance and faraday sleeve has solved the issue.

For the emergency fob in the car, I have the key in the sleeve, then wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil a few times over and around, then in a pressed-flat ziplock bag in the glove box (easier to keep safe and slide in and out).

My paak now works every single time I've tried and welcome lights function. They don't function as fast at the fob, but they literally have always worked. I never have issues with the door lock touch button by the glass either.

Bonus tip I've posted elsewhere if you regularly use the keypad for entry. Press the door open button, then put in your code. The moment you finish your code the door will pop open. Just seems a little faster and more seamless for entry.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Think about it....

Ah ok I see

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
For the Faraday shield bag to work properly, it has to be grounded. Attach a jumper cable with alligator clips on each end to the bag and to a grounded bolt or screw..
Sponsored