Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
So, I was just doing a little googling last night and came across some interesting (šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«) electrical stuff in regards to EVSE, garages and GFCI. Apparently the National electrical code was updated two or three years ago to require a GFCI circuit breaker for an EVSE plug in the garage or outside. Then I read an article that said this requirement was a bit problematic because level II chargers can nuisance trip the GFCI breaker. Thereā€™s no requirement for the GFCI breaker in a hardwired setup.

I have a NEMA 14-50 plug in the wall that I use with the mobile charger and I donā€™t have a GFCI breaker. I could go buy a hard-wired EVSE with a soon to be obsolete J1772 plug that works with the car I have now or just keep what I got in the ā€œwhat could possibly go wrong?ā€ approach.

Anybody actually have a GFCI breaker for their NEMA 14-50 plug? Any nuisance trips?
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I have a NEMA 14-50 plug in the wall that I use with the mobile charger and I donā€™t have a GFCI breaker. I could go buy a hard-wired EVSE with a soon to be obsolete J1772 plug that works with the car I have now or just keep what I got in the ā€œwhat could possibly go wrong?ā€ approach.
It's fine, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have an inspector flagging it (most don't care). The 50A GFCI breaker is pretty expensive and not really necessary IMO since the GFCI is built into the EVSE. A lot of states exempt GFCI from 240V outlets.

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In most cases you donā€™t need to change out the breaker as long as the circuit met code when it was installed. It only has to meet current code when making changes.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
It's fine, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have an inspector flagging it (most don't care). The 50A GFCI breaker is pretty expensive and not really necessary IMO since the GFCI is built into the EVSE. A lot of states exempt GFCI from 240V outlets.
A couple of modifiers/additional info -

All UL-listed EVSEs have built-in GFCI protection. But the reason for the requirement to GFCI protect the receptacle outlet is to protect people when plugging and unplugging. If you contact one of the blades, the EVSEā€™s GFCI isnā€™t going to help. I think itā€™s overkillā€¦ sometimes, people just need to exercise reasonable care.

The states Iā€™m aware of (not all) have that exemption only for HVAC equipment. Thatā€™s based on a TIA put out by the NEC. Several states have adopted this TIA.

And as Glen states, you are not obligated to upgrade installations that were code-compliant at the time of install.

I have a 14-50 in my garage that is not GFCIā€™d. Weā€™re still on the 2008 NEC. I have used the Ford Mobile Charger on GFCI-protected circuits without issue.

defender845

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select
Country flag
When we installed our 14-50 plug and circuit breaker we went with the GFCI because I wanted the dual purpose of using the same plug for our electric brewhouse (building a GFCI into the electric brewhouse would've cost more than the upgrade to the GFCI breaker). We've had it set up that way for 3 months now and haven't had any nuisance trips with the Ford travel plug.

OP
OP
Tampamike

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
When we installed our 14-50 plug and circuit breaker we went with the GFCI because I wanted the dual purpose of using the same plug for our electric brewhouse (building a GFCI into the electric brewhouse would've cost more than the upgrade to the GFCI breaker). We've had it set up that way for 3 months now and haven't had any nuisance trips with the Ford travel plug.
Thanks. Good to know.
Sponsored