Load shed for homes with back up generator

silvercurves-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
Hello,

Thanks for the great forum! My home currently has 17kw generac generator for the entire house and it was recommended that I install loadshed (GENERAC SMART MANAGEMENT MODULE (SMM) 7000 50 AMP) to ensure EV charger doesn't turn on when I lose power/running on generator. I have no issues spending extra money to have this feature but anyone have experience with this? I've heard mixed reviews about working properly etc.
Sponsored

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Hello,

Thanks for the great forum! My home currently has 17kw generac generator for the entire house and it was recommended that I install loadshed (GENERAC SMART MANAGEMENT MODULE (SMM) 7000 50 AMP) to ensure EV charger doesn't turn on when I lose power/running on generator. I have no issues spending extra money to have this feature but anyone have experience with this? I've heard mixed reviews about working properly etc.
Car charger to Generac: All your electron are belong to us.

quitepossibly

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
How is your whole house generator hooked up? Are all of the circuits backed up, or is there a subpanel with circuits that are backed up and a subpanel with circuits that aren't backed up?

OP
OP

silvercurves-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
How is your whole house generator hooked up? Are all of the circuits backed up, or is there a subpanel with circuits that are backed up and a subpanel with circuits that aren't backed up?
All of my circuits are backed up currently with no subpanels.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
All of my circuits are backed up currently with no subpanels.
If the genny cannot handle the total calculated load, automatic shedding is required by code. That is if you have an automatic transfer switch.
If you have a manual transfer switch, you are allow to manage the loads yourself manually.

The only thing having an EV charger changes is that it adds to the calculated load.

A subpanel for backed-up loads makes life much easier.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have ATF.
The installer of your genny should have performed a load calculation. Presuming they did, it likely means that it can handle your entire home. It's also likely that adding an EVSE will cause that to no longer be true, and adding load shedding is warranted.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Hello,

I have two unused Generac 50A SMM, the previous model 6873, sitting around from a project that didn't move forward. If you'd like one or both, I'd send it to you for the price of a donation to Doctors Without Borders. Let me know!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I have two unused Generac 50A SMM, the previous model 6873, sitting around from a project that didn't move forward. If you'd like one or both, I'd send it to you for the price of a donation to Doctors Without Borders. Let me know!
that's amazing; you get a special post prize for being awesome today. congratulations. ?

OP
OP

silvercurves-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW
Country flag
Very generous indeed. Thank so much for the offer. Will let you know if I am interested. My installer is pretty particular using his equipment/inventory for warranty purposes.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Very generous indeed. Thank so much for the offer. Will let you know if I am interested. My installer is pretty particular using his equipment/inventory for warranty purposes.
Understood on the warranty topic! Let me know if you'd like one, otherwise I'll let anyone else grab them if they read this thread. Clearing stuff off my junk shelves is very satisfying so I've been looking for every opportunity these days!

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
Just set the EV to charge from midnight to 6 am, you should not have to worry about load shedding the charger during those hours. It is highly you would exceed 17kw during those hours. As long as your air conditioners are load shedded (since those can consume a lot of amps at startup) you should be fine.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just set the EV to charge from midnight to 6 am, you should not have to worry about load shedding the charger during those hours. It is highly you would exceed 17kw during those hours. As long as your air conditioners are load shedded (since those can consume a lot of amps at startup) you should be fine.
He mentioned that he currently has no load shedding.

While you suggestion may work OK, it would not be a code-compliant installation.
Sponsored