Lost my Mach E yesterday. I will miss it for the time it is in the ICU......

COMachENoDecals

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, F-150, 330XI
Country flag
Lost my Mach E yesterday. HVJB the Service advisor is 100% sure. Got the High Voltage Battery Warning and Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power. Called the dealer as I was still driving it, which by the way does make it super convenient to still drive it over to them (no tow). We both said don't shut if off at about the exact same time to each other. So now the wait.

I am so not looking forward to the gas bill in the next two months (hopefully just a month wait).

For those wondering: OTA recall software was done about a month and a half ago I believe. I haven't DCFC'ed in over a month. We weren't on any hills or riding it hard, 75mph maybe. I don't WOT, in fact I don't think I ever have all the way. It has been up and down several Mtn passes (Colorado here) without issue, even several Mtn passes in a single day. DCFC total makes up for about 5% or less of the all time charges to the vehicle and I have 8700 miles. Car is a GT Extended 2021.

@Ford Motor Company appreciate anything you can do to get our parts faster. I have and have had several products so believe in it, still do. Thanks!
Sponsored

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
That stinks. Thought this was going to be another "My MachE is wrecked" thread. Things could be worse....

Last edited:
OP
OP
COMachENoDecals

COMachENoDecals

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, F-150, 330XI
Country flag
That stinks. Thought this was going to be another "My MachE is wrecked" thread. Things could be worse....
Oh for sure. Appreciated it isn't wrecked!

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Sucks - let's hope the parts are expedited. I still get the feeling this will bite almost everyone at some point.

In other news, I saw a GT yesterday in Waterloo, ON on highway 401. It had Michigan "Manufacturer" plates on it which was interesting given how far from "home" Waterloo is. Possibly doing some long-distance testing? HVBJC testing maybe? Could also be a testbed "loaner" to Ford Canada teams. Wish I could have had a chat with the driver.

RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
Lost my Mach E yesterday. HVJB the Service advisor is 100% sure. Got the High Voltage Battery Warning and Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power. Called the dealer as I was still driving it, which by the way does make it super convenient to still drive it over to them (no tow). We both said don't shut if off at about the exact same time to each other. So now the wait.

I am so not looking forward to the gas bill in the next two months (hopefully just a month wait).

For those wondering: OTA recall software was done about a month and a half ago I believe. I haven't DCFC'ed in over a month. We weren't on any hills or riding it hard, 75mph maybe. I don't WOT, in fact I don't think I ever have all the way. It has been up and down several Mtn passes (Colorado here) without issue, even several Mtn passes in a single day. DCFC total makes up for about 5% or less of the all time charges to the vehicle and I have 8700 miles. Car is a GT Extended 2021.

@Ford Motor Company appreciate anything you can do to get our parts faster. I have and have had several products so believe in it, still do. Thanks!
Im in the same boat as you. Happened to me a few days ago. My dealer was not as knowledgeable as yours clearly is but after some help from @DevSecOps i was able to convince them that it’s hardware and not software. It bothers me that they still asked if I wanted to take the car back while they wait for the part, as if it’s not a ticking time bomb waiting for the catastrophic failure that could happen when I’m far from home @Ford Motor Company you really need to do a better job of educating your dealerships about this issue. Depending on when this happens it could be dangerous for the driver and cars around them.

if you’re not going do do a massive recall, at least tell the dealerships that when this happens they should NOT just try to reinstall software or tell the customer they can come pick it up and use it if they want.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
Sucks - let's hope the parts are expedited. I still get the feeling this will bite almost everyone at some point.

In other news, I saw a GT yesterday in Waterloo, ON on highway 401. It had Michigan "Manufacturer" plates on it which was interesting given how far from "home" Waterloo is. Possibly doing some long-distance testing? HVBJC testing maybe? Could also be a testbed "loaner" to Ford Canada teams. Wish I could have had a chat with the driver.

I think they use them wherever they can legally. I see the Michigan plates on all the review videos it seems no matter where they are being filmed. Must be okay to use across North America.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Well the first step is to actually order the part, sometimes that doesn't happen right away at a lot of dealers unfortunately. Can't make it go any faster while waiting for the part, assuming the order has been placed. I want to say the part is a week or two wait currently.

Im in the same boat as you. Happened to me a few days ago. My dealer was not as knowledgeable as yours clearly is but after some help from @DevSecOps i was able to convince them that it’s hardware and not software. It bothers me that they still asked if I wanted to take the car back while they wait for the part, as if it’s not a ticking time bomb waiting for the catastrophic failure that could happen when I’m far from home @Ford Motor Company you really need to do a better job of educating your dealerships about this issue. Depending on when this happens it could be dangerous for the driver and cars around them.
Some people have driven over 500 miles on SVS without issue while waiting for an appointment. Some people have it brick shortly after, although that's rare (maybe 5% chance). So it's not out of the question to ask if you wanted to keep driving it before the repair can be made. That's up to you.

Last edited:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Some people have driven over 500 miles on SVS without issue while waiting for an appointment. Some people have it brick shortly after, although that's rare (maybe 5% chance). So it's not out of the question to ask if you wanted to keep driving it before the repair can be made. That's up to you.
So first of all, the dealership told him that it WAS NOT hardware related and that a software update would resolve the issue until we got involved.

Second, a dealership that has a TSB stating that a vehicle needs a critical component replaced should not be offering people to drive away in the vehicle. We have been telling people in DMs "DO NOT go and get your vehicle" if they tell you that you can get it without doing the proper replacement.

Dealerships should not be offering people to take the vehicle after clearing codes. Additionally, Ford wouldn't have this issue if they did a proper recall to start with. They will reap what they sow financially and should be putting him in a rental. In my case it was about 2k in rental costs plus a 120mi tow, which I don't know the cost of, on top of the HVBJB replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
COMachENoDecals

COMachENoDecals

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, F-150, 330XI
Country flag
At least I have another car so it should be on the cheap for them to process mine. That is where I am lucky. It is what it is, as others say it could be worse. I have no ill's about it with @Ford Motor Company because they will fix it. Obviously all of us wish all launch parts (all parts) are 100% stellar and no issues, it's just not how it works. I just appreciate all of you on the forum with the great tips and knowledge so we kind of know what to expect.

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
So you actually didn't loose it as you know where it is and you'll eventually get it back.

@Ford Motor Company better figure out a permanent solution to this problem. What hardware are they using in the F150?

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So you actually didn't loose it as you know where it is and you'll eventually get it back.

@Ford Motor Company better figure out a permanent solution to this problem. What hardware are they using in the F150?
They have a permanent fix, at least in so far as they believe they fixed the underlying cause and until we see failures at a high rate on the new units, can assume it is. You just need a car built after May/June 2022.

I get why Ford isn't doing a mass recall, but I suspect these issues are going to happen often enough for existing users that they need to try a new method of recall for this one, where anyone with a failed junction box gets front of the line replacement, but they just put everyone else in a line and call them in to the dealer and just proactively do the replacement. It's expensive, but I don't know that it will cost more than having this drag on as early owners continue to experience this over the next few years.

a dubb

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag

if you’re not going do do a massive recall, at least tell the dealerships that when this happens they should NOT just try to reinstall software or tell the customer they can come pick it up and use it if they want.
This is really scary to me !!! I am so nervous about all of this and having to trust the dealership who has already told me they aren’t on any rush for these because “they aren’t making any money” is even more scared ..

It’s so dumb that Ford makes us all go thru dealerships who are not trying to help and o guess why should they if they work on commission plus so much turnover I hate this process .,

RosarioM

First Name
Rosario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GT
Country flag
So first of all, the dealership told him that it WAS NOT hardware related and that a software update would resolve the issue until we got involved.

Second, a dealership that has a TSB stating that a vehicle needs a critical component replaced should not be offering people to drive away in the vehicle. We have been telling people in DMs "DO NOT go and get your vehicle" if they tell you that you can get it without doing the proper replacement.

Dealerships should not be offering people to take the vehicle after clearing codes. Additionally, Ford wouldn't have this issue if they did a proper recall to start with. They will reap what they sew financially and should be putting him in a rental. In my case it was about 2k in rental costs plus a 120mi tow, which I don't know the cost of, on top of the HVBJB replacement.
In my case I have about a 90 mile round trip commute three days a week. I charge my car at work for free so I have 0 commute costs (outside the cost of the car and wear and tear of course). Even with Ford covering the rental, are they going to cover the cost of gas? I had to go out and rent a car on Saturday even though I don’t need it until Tuesday because rental places are closed on Monday around me. All without getting confirmation from Ford that they would reimburse my rental.

it’s not just one thing, but all these things together that’s given me a very sour taste in my mouth for this car. It’s not the car itself but everything around it. You simply can’t charge$60+k for a car and not make the customer feel like you’re falling over backwards to help them.

I had someone over my house today and when asked about why I had a rental in my driveway do you think I told him how happy I was with my decision to get my car or the headache I’m going through right now?

Ford should do better. I should be feeling like everything will be ok and I will get my car back as fast as possible not look down the barrel of what could be several months without my car. At this rate, maybe I should have gone with the Tesla! I mean what’s the difference? I though the dealership network meant something.

Cptmorgemaker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Edge St, 2021 Lincoln Aviator BL GT
Occupation
Electrical
Country flag
So I just got my mach e back 0n Friday Sept 2 from getting this fixed. It was the second time and had the update when it came out. Problem is now the car makes a annoying noise like old pcs when processing. Come to find out the dealer did not tighten the freaking battery back to the car. I felt the bolts under the car last night on way back from concert and sure is it loose bolts. Thanks Ford dealer. I got corporate involved originally because the dealer said they couldn't offer me a loner because they don't have any and I'm tired of hearing COVID as a worthless excuse. It was there for about 3 weeks. So Tuesday I get to go and have a great conversation with the dealer. I hope the battery and everything is ok. I Hope the dumb dumbs tightened everything else. Here's some pics

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lost my Mach E yesterday. I will miss it for the time it is in the ICU...... 20220831_

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lost my Mach E yesterday. I will miss it for the time it is in the ICU...... 2022083195

Ford Mustang Mach-E Lost my Mach E yesterday. I will miss it for the time it is in the ICU...... 2022083195 (1)