kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
The advantage to HomeKit Secure Video is just that - Secure Video. Apparently, other video systems have been providing your video to 3rd parties without necessarily letting you know. I'm not saying that the vehicle would have to stream the video back, but it would be nice to have that feature available for people who would take advantage of it - just like the vehicle has CarPlay compatibility for people who want to use that feature. As for data charges, I don't know how data plans in other countries work. I'm told the US has some of the most expensive data plans in the world (I pay $104/month for "unlimited" "4G/5G" for one phone and a companion watch. Note that, in the US, "4G" and "5G" are more marketing terms than actual technical standards.

What I envision is a scenario where, if the car is disturbed, you'd get an alert on your phone and be able to pull up a real-time stream from the camera(s) to see what's going on with the vehicle. Is it being towed? Is someone trying to break into it/steal it? You'd then at least be able to call emergency services and give them a description of what you're seeing on the video, in real-time.
I can guarantee you we're more expensive but i understand your point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Id be worried about the quantity of data transferred with this. Mobile data rates are not the same all over the world and id use this more often when im not home so wifi might not be available
yeah this is basically the issue for constant streaming archive work. You can get good-sized USB flash for very cheap. video is insanely expensive in bandwidth, and on top of that cell providers often feel it's okay to screw with it (add compression through packet inspection) because "bandwidth." sometimes you can control that, sometimes you can't.

plus some cloud providers *cough*Google*cough* think screwing with images and video is perfectly fine on the storage side as long as it's "the same" at the other end or you make special effort to stop it.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
?

this feels like a bad sign for this particular customer request since this would suggest "we don't need to add this to the car because they can buy a branded add-on"?
Maybe but that doesnt mean that they wont integrate it into the system. Id rather buy the branded add-on and see if they make it accessible through Ford Pass than not buy it and be stuck trying to get it if they do make it accessible.

"integrated electrical OBD II T-harness for a clean installation"

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just looked its a thinkware dash cam which is easily had for 80$ cdn and the harness is 50cdn$ so i dont think this would be a branded add-on.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
?

this feels like a bad sign for this particular customer request since this would suggest "we don't need to add this to the car because they can buy a branded add-on"?
I don't think it's a sign at all. They sell that part already, it's compatible with the Mach-E, so they put it on there. Same exact part number shows up for Bronco Sport too.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I don't think it's a sign at all. They sell that part already, it's compatible with the Mach-E, so they put it on there. Same exact part number shows up for Bronco Sport too.
so question to all....Is this worth it so that you have 24/7/ protection if someone hits your car or attempts to break in? In short is anyone going to buy the Ford accessory???

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
yeah this is basically the issue for constant streaming archive work. You can get good-sized USB flash for very cheap. video is insanely expensive in bandwidth, and on top of that cell providers often feel it's okay to screw with it (add compression through packet inspection) because "bandwidth." sometimes you can control that, sometimes you can't.

plus some cloud providers *cough*Google*cough* think screwing with images and video is perfectly fine on the storage side as long as it's "the same" at the other end or you make special effort to stop it.
Hmmm. How do you do packet inspection on an end-to-end encrypted stream? ? also, you don’t continuously stream, like another poster proposed - that would be silly. You send a little alert to a user if the car detects something interesting, then the user can choose whether to watch the live stream (delivered via HomeKit secure video) or not. Think doorbell model. Video would be stored locally, with an option to offload to cloud storage.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
so question to all....Is this worth it so that you have 24/7/ protection if someone hits your car or attempts to break in? In short is anyone going to buy the Ford accessory???
My understanding is that, in other countries, dashcam footage is extremely useful in accidents to prove fault - especially if people are trying to make false claims.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Hmmm. How do you do packet inspection on an end-to-end encrypted stream? ? also, you don’t continuously stream, like another poster proposed - that would be silly. You send a little alert to a user if the car detects something interesting, then the user can choose whether to watch the live stream (delivered via HomeKit secure video) or not. Think doorbell model. Video would be stored locally, with an option to offload to cloud storage.
You don't compress end to end encrypted data. But they can screw with it in other ways. But not all video is encrypted, although I would hope the video we are talking about would be.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
you're assuming the end-to-end encryption is not being screwed with. If you're on T-Mobile or AT&T (haven't looked at VZW terms lately), you may already have streaming video being messed with... I don't know your background, so I'll just leave it at that and not get into all the details of deep packet inspection, the way TLS actually works, etc.

that said, you don't need HomeKit to do anything you're talking about. my Eufy does local event storage on the doorbell and live streaming on request. Does it support HomeKit too? I think it said that on the box or it's been promised or something, I don't know because again, it's completely useless to me.

If they do this, they need local storage as a minimally viable product, then add an app on both Android and iOS, and then add Apple lock-in later. otherwise they are not helping me nor the majority user propulation.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
My understanding is that, in other countries, dashcam footage is extremely useful in accidents to prove fault - especially if people are trying to make false claims.
As an insurance agent this is absolutely true. I was hoping it was already built in but obviously not. Guess I will be buying this

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here we have no fault insurance so its not as big a deal, but I really wouldnt want this car to get stolen. I waited long enough for it
Sponsored