Will we ever get sentry mode equivalent? Does anyone have a good reason why not?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You say you never had it happen, but how do you know without a camera? There is a YouTube channel that shows Tesla's cameras, its pretty interesting to watch sometimes.

You are driving a $60,000 car, that right now, would cost thousands of dollars to fix in just a minor fender bender (see other peoples posts here). That is considering that your insurance company does not just total the car all together. Let alone the lead time on parts could take months where you have no car.

A camera system is the cheapest insurance that you can ever buy. Pay $200 bucks once every 5 years or so and you are covered if someone hits you (a not fault accident of course). It removes all the he said she said crap that people ALWAYS do. You get legal support (often free because you have video) and all the above issues disappear. It cost you nothing, your rates don't go up, you get a rental car, you get deprecation or money if totaled, you get lost wages if there are any, any possible medical bills are taking care of ect ect... Even if its your fault a lot of states assign percentage of fault to drivers. Its possible that the video could make you "less" at fault thus making you less responsible legally. Of course if you know its your fault, you never mention the fact you have a camera :)

I'm a old dude, been in three accidents my entire life. Two of those accidents happened the SAME night about 1hr apart... First one was an old lady who was lost, she curbed her tires (parked directly against a curb) and stopped her car, so I went around her. As I was going around her she pulled away from the curb and hit me. She claimed fault at the time, however she told her insurance that I cut her off. I believe I was assigned 30% fault for that when it was 100% not my fault at all, I was livid. I actually stopped behind the lady trying to figure out what the heck she was doing before I went around her. The second accident that night was a rear end at a stop light, then my 3rd accident was years later which was also a rear end on the freeway.

After that old lady straight up lied, I got a camera. You have to think about the liability, what if god forbid, its a fatal accident. That $200 camera could save you from having a REAL F'ed up day.. Thats just my 2cents :)

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
You say you never had it happen, but how do you know without a camera? There is a YouTube channel that shows Tesla's cameras, its pretty interesting to watch sometimes.

You are driving a $60,000 car, that right now, would cost thousands of dollars to fix in just a minor fender bender (see other peoples posts here). That is considering that your insurance company does not just total the car all together. Let alone the lead time on parts could take months where you have no car.

A camera system is the cheapest insurance that you can ever buy. Pay $200 bucks once every 5 years or so and you are covered if someone hits you (a not fault accident of course). It removes all the he said she said crap that people ALWAYS do. You get legal support (often free because you have video) and all the above issues disappear. It cost you nothing, your rates don't go up, you get a rental car, you get deprecation or money if totaled, you get lost wages if there are any, any possible medical bills are taking care of ect ect... Even if its your fault a lot of states assign percentage of fault to drivers. Its possible that the video could make you "less" at fault thus making you less responsible legally. Of course if you know its your fault, you never mention the fact you have a camera :)

I'm a old dude, been in three accidents my entire life. Two of those accidents happened the SAME night about 1hr apart... First one was an old lady who was lost, she curbed her tires (parked directly against a curb) and stopped her car, so I went around her. As I was going around her she pulled away from the curb and hit me. She claimed fault at the time, however she told her insurance that I cut her off. I believe I was assigned 30% fault for that when it was 100% not my fault at all, I was livid. I actually stopped behind the lady trying to figure out what the heck she was doing before I went around her. The second accident that night was a rear end at a stop light, then my 3rd accident was years later which was also a rear end on the freeway.

After that old lady straight up lied, I got a camera. You have to think about the liability, what if god forbid, its a fatal accident. That $200 camera could save you from having a REAL F'ed up day.. Thats just my 2cents :)
Did you get the camera before getting rear ended later that evening? You move quick!

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah, I would love this feature and being the cheap *ss that I am, even I might pay for it if it's a 1 time thing (vs. buying a dash cam if it's better integrated). I hate monthly fees/subscriptions.

It only takes 1 incident to make you think 1 way and the cost is not too high for a 50k purchase. ($350 is 0.7% of $50k).

Sorta like my home has never burned down, never filed an insurance claim, what a waste of $. I should just go without any insurance since I own the home free and clear.

If it's an option, at least people who don't want it has a choice/say, but this would be a great feature. Hope they add it in a OTA update.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I would love a sentry type feature as well. That might never happen so I guess I need to consider a dash cam. Anyone have a suggestion for one that is easy to install or works well specifically in the MME?

Sin_Chase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Does the hardware really exist to do it properly though?

The front and rear cameras might serve the purpose but the side cameras don't really have the necessary field of view?

Tesla has side cameras in the B pillar at a decent height which offers the wide side views.

Burnsy8787

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy volt
Country flag
Hardware already exists. Once software is written @Ford Motor Company could charge subscription to enable just like Blue Cruise.

If they're interested in adding that revenue stream, why not this one? Arguable that it could apply to way more people since lots live away from the motorways that are added thus far to blue cruise.

And yes, dashcam can do same thing but for good quality one you're looking at what $350+? and having to hardwire it to get parked alerts. Not to mention maybe harder for people who lease?? Either way, big upfront cost and effort that I'm sure many would relish removing with a ...$8 per month sub?
The reason why it won't happen is because it's ford. They will have it on a future model of the mach e but not give it to us I am guessing.

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This morning I could really have used sentry mode as my car was purposefully vandalized in the grocery store lot. The manager does have footage (not sure how good) and I reported it to the police. Someone threw coffee at my Mach-E and scratched my door. I am not going to let it ruin my day, however. I will get it repaired and move on. I might even pray for the person who did it. One thing is for sure, I will be asking Santa for a dash camera for Christmas. Even in my little town, these things happen, I suppose.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Does the hardware really exist to do it properly though?

The front and rear cameras might serve the purpose but the side cameras don't really have the necessary field of view?

Tesla has side cameras in the B pillar at a decent height which offers the wide side views.
exactly. Tesla can't do 360 view because their cams don't point down enough, and the mirror cameras in the Mach E point straight down and aren't useful for sentry mode. Even the rear camera is pointed downward a little, so might not get a good face shot.

Anyway, it's obviously a nefarious plot by Ford to make current model year Mach E owners angry as they'll add the feature to future model year cars. I bet Darren Palmer and Bill Ford are laughing about it right now.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This morning I could really have used sentry mode as my car was purposefully vandalized in the grocery store lot. The manager does have footage (not sure how good) and I reported it to the police. Someone threw coffee at my Mach-E and scratched my door. I am not going to let it ruin my day, however. I will get it repaired and move on. I might even pray for the person who did it. One thing is for sure, I will be asking Santa for a dash camera for Christmas. Even in my little town, these things happen, I suppose.
That does really suck. Unfortunately BEV's have now been made into a divisive issue just like preventing a fatal disease has been. Just yesterday I read a ridiculous rant by some blogger about how the pinhead green movement is destroying dodge because the ICE charger and challenger are going to be discontinued in 2024. The clown actually talked about how carbon is necessary for all life so isn't dangerous, and that the French don't care about selling "the muscle cars americans want". It doesn't matter that those cars are already dinosaurs and their owners will be getting smoked on a regular basis by plenty of faster and better BEV's by 2024.

Hate is a powerful political tool, so I expect the vandalism and vitriol to get worse as time goes on. While a sentry mode would be nice it probably won't prevent these kinds of issues anyway.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Sorry to hear that happened to you....people are just idiots at times.

Curious of any battery drain with he dash cams?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
That sucks, but what would you do with the video other than just stare at it and get more angry?

Unless you know the person in the video, not much you could do.

Although you did say it’s a little town, so maybe it was Tim or Steve or drunk Bobby.

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yes, you all are right. If someone wants to do damage on others’ property, they will do it no matter if you have a camera on them or not. I just never imagined when I ordered my new electric Mustang 2 years ago that I may be subjected to hate because of it. I cannot think of any other reason to have done such a thing, except maybe he was having a bad morning and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It probably is good not to have to rehash it with video. It’s ok; I’m just not going to let this deter me from enjoying driving my Mach E everywhere.

one5460

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MazdaSpeed 3
Country flag
That sucks, but what would you do with the video other than just stare at it and get more angry?

Unless you know the person in the video, not much you could do.

Although you did say it’s a little town, so maybe it was Tim or Steve or drunk Bobby.
People have been identified and charged with vandalizing Teslas because of Sentry Mode. If you have a good shot of their face, you can post it on social media. One woman even made the news and had to turn herself in.

I also think that if people know it's a feature, it can serve as a bit of a deterrent.

I'd get one of those front / rear surveillance dashcams with motion detection. Whatever you get, go for 4k or 1080p 60fps.

No, it won't prevent an idiot from doing it anyway, but it will bring you some peace of mind.
Sponsored