Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
If you're waiting on Ford to enable that feature, you might have a long wait. As a person with no inside information, my guess is there are quite a few other current and planned features they want to debug, improve and add before they implement the Ford "Watchman System."

So what's preventing you or causing you concern, if any, about an aftermarket solution?
I just don't want to spend hundreds on dash cam and installation just to have them implement the feature and then I wasted my money :/
Sponsored

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
The Ford Branded Thinkware Camera is, as of today, installed in my car. Model DC-M1-FG. Camera Front and rear and OBD connected. The tech at Crossroads Ford Wake Forest did a great job installing the cameras. As you can see in the attached photos the front camera is just below the rearview mirror and not really in the way. The rear camera is on the left side of the car (my choice) slightly angles to the right side. The video and audio quality are good. Records one minute snips.

Also when you take you Mach-E for service bring the fob. It was an adventure starting the car when he needed to move it. They have no "dealer access" which is good.

Working with the system is interesting. I think I have to use this for a bit longer to form really strong opinions. It uses WiFI not Bluetooth and getting connected is more akin to setting up a HomeKit device like a light dimmer. Once connected I had full access to the camera and settings. It has a setting for driving, parking, manual recordings and so on. You can Look at the videos on the app on you phone or tablet. When you connect you are warned that ADAS and other functions don't work. Not sure whey I would want to see the videos while driving.

Personally I think it is easier to pull the memory card out and use the Thinkware Player on your computer to watch the videos.

It came with a 16gig memory card. I had a 64gig card so formatted it and placed the firmware update on the card and put it in the camera. That started and adventure; it did not recognize the card and stated it needs to be formatted. There is a very tiny woman hidden in the camera that tells you many things. Turns out I had formatted the card to FAT32 as was the original card. No you want to use ExFAT and 128 block size (if you have that option) and then the card will work in the camera. (not easy to find on the Thinkware site used a BING search to find it.)

Does not come with the GPS antenna and not available via Ford that I can find. So I ordered the Thinkware antenna for $39.99 making the bet it is compatible. The application has it already. Hope it works.

Have put questions to Echomaster and Thinkware about the statement in the documentation that says "*not compatible with electric vehicles". Yet it was listed as a Mach-E accessory, hmmmm. Hope to hear back soon on that statement.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Dashcam and Sentry Mode Updates IMG_0201
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Dashcam and Sentry Mode Updates IMG_0202 2

Now on to mess with the settings.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Have put questions to Echomaster and Thinkware about the statement in the documentation that says "*not compatible with electric vehicles". Yet it was listed as a Mach-E accessory, hmmmm. Hope to hear back soon on that statement.

[/QUOTE]

After an email exchange with Echomaster/AAMP global I was told that the IGN-3 otherwise known as a HWK-TW01 will not work with electric vehicles. That I had to order and install a TWA-SH. Both of these are basically the power cable for the cameras. The side affect being that the camera will unexpectedly shut down. Not the car! So very puzzled that Ford would offer an accessory for the Mach-E that won't actually work, I reached back to the parts department explained my concern, and sent them the email thread I had with the manufacturer. So waiting on that research cycle to complete.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

After an email exchange with Echomaster/AAMP global I was told that the IGN-3 otherwise known as a HWK-TW01 will not work with electric vehicles. That I had to order and install a TWA-SH. Both of these are basically the power cable for the cameras. The side affect being that the camera will unexpectedly shut down. Not the car! So very puzzled that Ford would offer an accessory for the Mach-E that won't actually work, I reached back to the parts department explained my concern, and sent them the email thread I had with the manufacturer. So waiting on that research cycle to complete.
[/QUOTE]

My dealer has ordered the correct cable and will be replacing the cable in the next week. The only issue I had with the unit is it sporadically shuts down and restarts. Hopefully @Ford Motor Company will correct this in the accessory listing.

Londoc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium, 2021 Telluride, 2013 550xi
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've had nothing but problems with the dealer-installed DC-M1-FG. I pointed out the issue with the HWK-TW01 but they said it wasn't a problem. When starting the car, the camera goes through it's startup and indicates it is recording, but while driving it will randomly go into Park mode and then just keep beeping. Sometimes it will drop out of Park mode, but more often than not I have to wait till I stop the car or just unplug it.

Using the Thinkware app (iPhone 12Pro/IOS 14.6) to connect to it is also flakey. The camera is on but doesn't always activate WiFi when pressing he button. When it does and I connect with the app, it'll sometimes disconnect and then won't reconnect. When it does stay connected, the "Files" list is empty, although I can play with settings.

Maybe this is just my camera/installation issue, but I'd welcome any feedback from others

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I've had nothing but problems with the dealer-installed DC-M1-FG. I pointed out the issue with the HWK-TW01 but they said it wasn't a problem. When starting the car, the camera goes through it's startup and indicates it is recording, but while driving it will randomly go into Park mode and then just keep beeping. Sometimes it will drop out of Park mode, but more often than not I have to wait till I stop the car or just unplug it.

Using the Thinkware app (iPhone 12Pro/IOS 14.6) to connect to it is also flakey. The camera is on but doesn't always activate WiFi when pressing he button. When it does and I connect with the app, it'll sometimes disconnect and then won't reconnect. When it does stay connected, the "Files" list is empty, although I can play with settings.

Maybe this is just my camera/installation issue, but I'd welcome any feedback from others

I am getting the HWK-TW01 installed next week. Will advise if it is the fix it is supposed to be. As for the smart phone app...I think it is lacking and is part of the connection problem. Pressing the button and getting the app on the right screen is just a hassle. Once you get your process in order it seems to work. As for looking at the videos I pull the chip and use the Thinkware app on my MAC. Much easier to work with. Had that issue with seeming missing files...hmmm what was that?

Oh and if you like me out of frustration you format the memory card use exFAT as the format. Once I did that I could see the files and watch a video. Oh add the GPS. Only $39 and add all the speed and direction info to the file when you watch on the PC. Not sure about the phone.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I am getting the HWK-TW01 installed next week. Will advise if it is the fix it is supposed to be. As for the smart phone app...I think it is lacking and is part of the connection problem. Pressing the button and getting the app on the right screen is just a hassle. Once you get your process in order it seems to work. As for looking at the videos I pull the chip and use the Thinkware app on my MAC. Much easier to work with. Had that issue with seeming missing files...hmmm what was that?

Oh and if you like me out of frustration you format the memory card use exFAT as the format. Once I did that I could see the files and watch a video. Oh add the GPS. Only $39 and add all the speed and direction info to the file when you watch on the PC. Not sure about the phone.
Been dealing with this issue for 2 weeks. Install a thinkware u1000 with rear camera and radar module thinking to use OBD cable. Thinkwares wont work and Iroad For electric car
not working correctly for radar module. Will have to hard-wire per MachDoc post.

Londoc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium, 2021 Telluride, 2013 550xi
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Been dealing with this issue for 2 weeks. Install a thinkware u1000 with rear camera and radar module thinking to use OBD cable. Thinkwares wont work and Iroad For electric car
not working correctly for radar module. Will have to hard-wire per MachDoc post.
Thx. Issue with the app flakiness or the Park mode flakiness? I can deal with a bit of app flakiness (assume it will get better with updates) but the Park mode switching is super-annoying. I'll look into the U1000

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Thx. Issue with the app flakiness or the Park mode flakiness? I can deal with a bit of app flakiness (assume it will get better with updates) but the Park mode switching is super-annoying. I'll look into the U1000
The set up works great using cig lighter socket to test. Just need to hard wire/ no big deal. Not quite as easy as the OBD plug. Software a little hard to navigate.
Myblackboxmycar has coupons and customer service is outstanding.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
At the risk of not reading this whole thread, has anyone been using a dashcam plugged into the the OBD port for a while? I used to do that in my previous car but am a little worried about the Mach E what with the 12V issues on earlier builds.
I just use an Apeman dashcam with this OBD power plug from Amazon, turns on the cam when motion is detected: https://www.desertcart.co/products/...s-with-usb-mini-b-dash-cams-with-parking-mode

MTNestr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE MME
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
At the risk of not reading this whole thread, has anyone been using a dashcam plugged into the the OBD port for a while? I used to do that in my previous car but am a little worried about the Mach E what with the 12V issues on earlier builds.
I just use an Apeman dashcam with this OBD power plug from Amazon, turns on the cam when motion is detected: https://www.desertcart.co/products/...s-with-usb-mini-b-dash-cams-with-parking-mode
I did back in March when I first installed my Thinkware U1000 but was having issues where I needed to unplug and plug the OBD back in every time I started my Mach-E.

BTW - I ended up wiring directly to the interior fuse box which is by the Glove Box

Last edited:

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The Ford Branded Thinkware Camera is, as of today, installed in my car. Model DC-M1-FG. Camera Front and rear and OBD connected. The tech at Crossroads Ford Wake Forest did a great job installing the cameras.
Would you mind sharing the approximate cost all in? I've always installed my own dashcams, always used the Rexing brand with great success. I'm fairly hesitant on doing the install myself on an EV, just too many factors. But that said, Rexing cost me like $130 bucks and maybe 45min of install. I'm going to guess this install was well over $500?
Sponsored