Mach-E Dashcam and Sentry Mode Updates

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
Seems like it would be a really unattractive vehicle to steal. Always connected to the internet, would have to hack it to start it I guess or put it on a flatbad, I doubt chop shops are set up for EVs though I guess the batteries would be a big payout if you could fence them.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Seems like it would be a really unattractive vehicle to steal. Always connected to the internet, would have to hack it to start it I guess or put it on a flatbad, I doubt chop shops are set up for EVs though I guess the batteries would be a big payout if you could fence them.
Stolen cars, particularly SUVs are either chopped for parts or shipped to third world countries for the black market. I seriously doubt some local warlord in West Africa will be shuttling around his goons in an EV.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Theft is not the reason I want the dashcam/Sentry Mode, it's vandalism.

If the car is stolen, it's insured and I'll get paid and just buy another Mach-E. Theft is probably the best thing that could happen to a car I own, so long as I'm not there when it's stolen.

If it's vandalized, on the other hand, I then have to deal with getting it repaired, does the paint match, did a window get broken, etc. and I'd like to have evidence of that. Or harassment. Or on-road incidents.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Depending on where you live, you could be targeted for driving an EV or a Mustang EV.
It looks like I'll be getting a cheap dash cam until the Mach E activates that ability.

MJMachForum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Blue Flex, 2021 Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm considering one, but it'd have to be very tightly integrated - I couldn't stand to see wires/etc. I know Ford has some listed on the accessories page which talk about having an ODB wiring harness. Need to investigate them to see reviews.
The Ford offered dash cams are all Thinkware cams. I installed the U1000 with the rear cam addition In my Flex in about an hour. The cable lengths were perfect and I was able to hide the cables easily. They work great and the OBD 2 adapter made the install seamless without splicing into the wiring harness.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
The Ford offered dash cams are all Thinkware cams. I installed the U1000 with the rear cam addition In my Flex in about an hour. The cable lengths were perfect and I was able to hide the cables easily. They work great and the OBD 2 adapter made the install seamless without splicing into the wiring harness.
When you say OBDII adapter, does that prevent the port from being used? I hope to keep a Bluetooth OBDII adapter always plugged in while driving for data logging on my phone, so that'd bummer if I can't have both that and the Ford dashcam while they develop a built-in solution.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
When you say OBDII adapter, does that prevent the port from being used? I hope to keep a Bluetooth OBDII adapter always plugged in while driving for data logging on my phone, so that'd bummer if I can't have both that and the Ford dashcam while they develop a built-in solution.
I would assume not - most harnesses like this have one ODB2 port that you plug the factory port into, and then another ODB2 "pass-through" that goes where your existing ODB2 port was.

I actually just had to remove a stupid aftermarket GPS "Kahu" ODB2 thing from a used i3 I bought, and it used an ODB2 harness, so we pretty easy to remove.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I would assume not - most harnesses like this have one ODB2 port that you plug the factory port into, and then another ODB2 "pass-through" that goes where your existing ODB2 port was.

I actually just had to remove a stupid aftermarket GPS "Kahu" ODB2 thing from a used i3 I bought, and it used an ODB2 harness, so we pretty easy to remove.
That is good to know. I've never installed a dashcam before so this is good info. I still hope we hear there's one built in coming in that first OTA Ford's CEO tweeted about.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
you're assuming the end-to-end encryption is not being screwed with. If you're on T-Mobile or AT&T (haven't looked at VZW terms lately), you may already have streaming video being messed with... I don't know your background, so I'll just leave it at that and not get into all the details of deep packet inspection, the way TLS actually works, etc.

that said, you don't need HomeKit to do anything you're talking about. my Eufy does local event storage on the doorbell and live streaming on request. Does it support HomeKit too? I think it said that on the box or it's been promised or something, I don't know because again, it's completely useless to me.

If they do this, they need local storage as a minimally viable product, then add an app on both Android and iOS, and then add Apple lock-in later. otherwise they are not helping me nor the majority user propulation.
So, my background is sort of technical - enough to understand what you’re saying. I don’t feel like rooting through all the Apple technical documentation, but here’s what they say in bunny rabbit English:

HomeKit provides an end-to-end secure and private mechanism to record, analyze, and view clips from HomeKit IP cameras without exposing that video content to Apple or any third party.

By the way, I’m on AT&T and I assure you AT&T most definitely does screw around with streams whenever they can (look up “streamsaver”). For the most part, I don’t care, but for important stuff, I prefer to remain in the apple ecosystem where it’s slightly safer than some of the others.

MJMachForum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That is good to know. I've never installed a dashcam before so this is good info. I still hope we hear there's one built in coming in that first OTA Ford's CEO tweeted about.
No, it does not block the OBD2 port. You plug the cars OBD2 in one end and the other end of the adaptor goes where the cars OBD2 port was mounted. I also have a cloud connected dash cam that blocks the OBD2 port so I added a y splitter in the mix and all works great. I can still access the cars computers thru the splitter.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
No, it does not block the OBD2 port. You plug the cars OBD2 in one end and the other end of the adaptor goes where the cars OBD2 port was mounted. I also have a cloud connected dash cam that blocks the OBD2 port so I added a y splitter in the mix and all works great. I can still access the cars computers thru the splitter.
I didn't even know OBD2 splitters existed. well, til. I'm guessing there's a power side and a power-and-data side or something?

MJMachForum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I bought one off Amazon. It's a 1-1 wire mapping of the pins in the port so that pin 1 is pin 1 on each end, and so on and so forth.

https://www.amazon.com/bbfly-B6-Spl...&keywords=OBD2+splitter&qid=1611602472&sr=8-8
that's really bizarre. I guess they just assume you're going to have only one powered device and one data device... otherwise I can't see how this could realistically work? I don't really know a lot of how OBDII data signaling works mind you, but it just feels very weird that this kind of thing would "work" for two simultaneous data devices.

MJMachForum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
that's really bizarre. I guess they just assume you're going to have only one powered device and one data device... otherwise I can't see how this could realistically work? I don't really know a lot of how OBDII data signaling works mind you, but it just feels very weird that this kind of thing would "work" for two simultaneous data devices.
Ah. The cams don’t use the ports to communicate with the vehicle. The obd2 ports have a power pin, a ground pin, and a pin that gets power when the car is turned on. The cam uses those pins to get power and determine if the car is on so it can determine when to go into power saving mode. Wikipedia has some good info on how obd works if you want more info.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford hasn't really confirmed anything about a Sentry mode type feature, correct? Hoping we hear something concrete in the next month or so.
Sponsored