Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
This is actually quite pathetic, compare to what Tesla is doing. In the past year, in Toronto (Canada) alone, they built 4 new supercharger locations, each with 20 150kw chargers. That's 3,000kw per site.
Petro Canada has added 350kw chargers at several locations along highways. Each site has two chargers. Electrify Canada has also implemented sites with 4 350km chargers per site. Between the two networks, they have 30 sites in Ontario. Petro Canada has enough DC fast charge to allow driving from the Pacific to the Atlantic along the Trans-Canada Highway.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is actually quite pathetic, compare to what Tesla is doing. In the past year, in Toronto (Canada) alone, they built 4 new supercharger locations, each with 20 150kw chargers. That's 3,000kw per site.
Petro Canada has added 350kw chargers at several locations along highways. Each site has two chargers. Electrify Canada has also implemented sites with 4 350km chargers per site. Between the two networks, they have 30 sites in Ontario. Petro Canada has enough DC fast charge to allow driving from the Pacific to the Atlantic along the Trans-Canada Highway.
So what you're saying is that their putting adequate charging along a major artery and heavily populated areas. What about less densely populated and less well traveled routes, like the UP?

While I absolutely agree that 50-60kw chargers are way too slow, having too few locations spread too far apart is a worse condition. I'd rather have to charge for an hour than not be able to make the trip at all (or get stranded in the middle of nowhere).

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
So what you're saying is that their putting adequate charging along a major artery and heavily populated areas. What about less densely populated and less well traveled routes, like the UP?

While I absolutely agree that 50-60kw chargers are way too slow, having too few locations spread too far apart is a worse condition. I'd rather have to charge for an hour than not be able to make the trip at all (or get stranded in the middle of nowhere).
The Petro Canada network goes around lake Superior. It covers the less populated areas, Including the maritime provinces. In the less populated areas, they installed 200kw chargers (but always two per site). I didn't mention that all chargers also have 100kw CHADEMO plugs, in addition to the CCS ones.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Now that would be a hell of a wait line!

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
The Petro Canada network goes around lake Superior. It covers the less populated areas, Including the maritime provinces. In the less populated areas, they installed 200kw chargers (but always two per site). I didn't mention that all chargers also have 100kw CHADEMO plugs, in addition to the CCS ones.
Lake Superior doesn't extend to the Maritime Provinces, though.