Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
No typo watch the vid.

Edit: Kyles review near the end; 11.2 mile run, but he knew what he would get prior to doing it I expect. Read the article for confirmation, top gear also. All are in line.
He did mention 2.1 for a short run with a lot of disclaimers.

It needs to be emphasized that the roads were wet, and that hurts range a lot more than you'd think. It always surprises me, until I remember how slow boats are compared to airplanes with the same horsepower.

Moving water takes a lot of energy. ;)
Sponsored

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
The above goes for ALL BEV's, Tesla Gm Ford, its the battery's weakness
Agreed that cold temps affect Lithium batteries, and that is a major component of range loss in cold. But don't forget that the air is substantially thicker in cold, too. So it's a double whammy, sort of.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Agreed that cold temps affect Lithium batteries, and that is a major component of range loss in cold. But don't forget that the air is substantially thicker in cold, too. So it's a double whammy, sort of.
yes and for us the softer winter tires makes it worse. We compensate by going minus 1 size wish we could we could go minus 2 size

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree with what you say, unless you include the speed that you select in "driving style". Obviously, your cruise speed has a huge effect on range on the highway.
Oh sure. Speed depends on where one is driving, and how they choose to drive. Some people are driving on slower country roads where the speed limit might only be 55 or 60. High speed loss should be modest on those. But in the US, I'm assumeing the majority of people will be taking their road trips on interstates. And that's usually at least 70 MPH (75-80 here out west).

I'm also assuming people won't be driving below the speed limit. I know some go slower to hypermile and squeeze every mile out of their EV. And don't use cabin heat. That's fine for them but IMO that's a rare niche. I think the vast majority of people just want to drive normally - doing the speed limit (-ish), and use cabin heat/AC.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yeah, I think phones just go by battery voltage, and a typical cell phone battery will hold voltage fairly constant until it is almost "dead", then the voltage falls off a cliff. It is hard for the software to exactly determine where this cliff is.
And the colder the cell phone battery the quicker it reaches that cliff.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He did mention 2.1 for a short run with a lot of disclaimers.

It needs to be emphasized that the roads were wet, and that hurts range a lot more than you'd think. It always surprises me, until I remember how slow boats are compared to airplanes with the same horsepower.

Moving water takes a lot of energy. ;)
I did'nt want to go to add this here but it is important,

We Drive Mustang Mach-E, Bollinger Production Versions Reveled & Tesla Takes 18 Day Model S/X Break - YouTube

Go to 15 min mark and he talks about the charging.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and what is your point with this?
My point is that he himself admits that he is not ready to release his numbers. So before anybody jumps off the cliff because if a 2.1 we should give him a chance to really test the car and release proper numbers.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
My point is that he himself admits that he is not ready to release his numbers. So before anybody jumps off the cliff because if a 2.1 we should give him a chance to really test the car and release proper numbers.
that is what I was waiting for you to say. nothing about the charging should be taken as fact. Again the mache vehicles they drove are not the production mache we all are getting. That is why he said he has to wait and see as the ford engineers told him also it will be fine.

Was waiting to see if you were going to say but but he said it's not good lol.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that is what I was waiting for you to say. nothing about the charging should be taken as fact. Again the mache vehicles they drove are not the production mache we all are getting. That is why he said he has to wait and see as the ford engineers told him also it will be fine.

Was waiting to see if you were going to say but but he said it's not good lol.
Cmon lol i think you know by know im pretty rational. Ye of little faith ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Bingo!

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Fact:
You will plug into a charger one day and get 1/2 or less of the kW’s you should be getting. It will happen when you are in need of a quick stop or you are running late. It happens at Tesla superchargers and every other type of charger. If you can't live with that, you are not ready for on EV.
It's happened to me a few times. Once it happened in the middle of nowhere and I had to sit there a accept the slow speed.
Sponsored