TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All of that is part of the education potential BEV owners will need to do. I have no issues with someone saying their vehicle has to make <insert route here> or I can’t buy it as long as it’s a realistic expectation (asking for 600 mile range in -20 F weather isn’t realistic for example). BEVs aren’t for everyone or every situation but they can do just as well as ICE vehicles for most uses
That's why I said if they're in position where they can't use basic functions like using heat and driving the speed limit, then no buy.

Even the suggestion as a "solution" to tight range situations will turn some away. And understandably so.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
That's why I said if they're in position where they can't use basic functions like using heat and driving the speed limit, then no buy.

Even the suggestion as a "solution" to tight range situations will turn some away. And understandably so.
no argument from me Tim. I agree. Wonders never cease buh? ;)

ZSR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 9-3 estate 280pk
Country flag
Al that range anxiety is no issue if you could pull up, refuel and 10 min later drive away with 200 miles in the “tank”.
In real everyday use it’s plenty of range. But I am anxious of driving 200 miles, and sit in the car for 40 min to get .... 200?? Miles of juice. If filling the car up would be like a filling an Ice car, range would be waaaay less of an issue. That said souldn’t be the real focus be on how fast you can get 200 miles in the “tank”??

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Al that range anxiety is no issue if you could pull up, refuel and 10 min later drive away with 200 miles in the “tank”.
In real everyday use it’s plenty of range. But I am anxious of driving 200 miles, and sit in the car for 40 min to get .... 200?? Miles of juice. If filling the car up would be like a filling an Ice car, range would be waaaay less of an issue. That saidedeed modern 250 to 350 souldn’t be the real focus be on how fast you can get 200 miles in the “tank”??
Solid state batteries have this potential and should arrive in 4 to 5 years. But, one is going need 150 to 350 kW dcfc chargers. Don't expect politicians to understand this as the state of Michigan is putting in many 62.5 kW chargers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Solid state batteries have this potential and should arrive in 4 to 5 years. But, one is going need 150 to 350 kW dcfc chargers. Don't expect politicians to understand this as the state of Michigan is putting in many 62.5 kW chargers.
Can't help but wonder if some of them are thinking "We want people to stick around town and spend money, so we don't want them charging TOO fast".

But I doubt they really understand it that well. It's most likely just a cost issue.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
Can't help but wonder if some of them are thinking "We want people to stick around town and spend money, so we don't want them charging TOO fast".

But I doubt they really understand it that well. It's most likely just a cost issue.
These are the current CCS fast charging sites with at least 120 KW chargers.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E EPA Ratings Revealed in Window Sticker! 1608559494788

I am more concerned about the grid ability to support fast charging volume on busy weekends.
Currently, in Ontario we have Petro Canada with 350 KW chargers (generally 2 per site) and Canadian tires with either 100 or 350 kw chargers (generally 4 per site). That's fine for today's volume of not Tesla (many Tesla new sites in Ontario have 20 chargers per site)
This is the map of Tesla supercharging stations:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E EPA Ratings Revealed in Window Sticker! 1608559952679

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sounds like Chargepoint chargers. If installed in "paired" configuration, they can deliver 125 kW if you connect a car to every other one.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It makes sense though. Charging curves exist to protect the battery. They lower the amount of power applied as the battery fills. The more "space" a battery has left, the faster it can fill. The ER battery is bigger, thus more "space" when empty, thus can charge faster early.

The SR battery is smaller, thus it begins its charge curve at the point where the bigger battery has already tapered to 115 kW. (Or likely thereabouts).
The amount of charge (current) per cell is set, so fewer cells means lower maximum charge rate (same current going into each cell). Simple.

Reactions: DBC

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The issue with this is these EV chargers is that they were funded mostly by grants. These folks will not upgrade these EV chargers unless they get "more" grant money. This may or may not occur and if it will, the question becomes when? Better to have it done "right" the first time.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There still is money left over and additional funds available. Doing it right the first time is the correct way.