Advertisement

ajmartineau

Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
@Redundant

See post #1 in this thread.
Q: I would like to know if the glass roof seems to let in a lot of heat or is unobtrusive?
A: It is a smart *PASSIVE* glass roof. Since it was so bright yesterday, I could barely see out of it. I couldn't feel the sun at all, felt like a black headliner. But he said that at night, you could see the stars.

Low-e that I have seen doesn't look like a "black headliner" while still being able to see the stars at night, as the Ford employee stated.

This isn't a new thing.
https://www.smartglass.com/panorami...research-frontiers-spd-smartglass-technology/

Kamuelaflyer

Reaction score
Vehicles
Old
Country flag
@Redundant

See post #1 in this thread.
Q: I would like to know if the glass roof seems to let in a lot of heat or is unobtrusive?
A: It is a smart *PASSIVE* glass roof. Since it was so bright yesterday, I could barely see out of it. I couldn't feel the sun at all, felt like a black headliner. But he said that at night, you could see the stars.

Low-e that I have seen doesn't look like a "black headliner" while still being able to see the stars at night, as the Ford employee stated.

This isn't a new thing.
https://www.smartglass.com/panorami...research-frontiers-spd-smartglass-technology/
Yup. But some people aren't going to believe that until they see it engraved in stone handed down from on high in Dearborn. :rolleyes:

Kamuelaflyer

Reaction score
Vehicles
Old
Country flag
Exactly!
That's why I'm looking for a second source. Remember Joe didn't see it at night.
There are stories I’ve found all over referring to the Polestar 2 as smart glass, but not in the website in those terms.

Tsand4

First Name
Todd
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed (on order), '14 Fusion Hybrid SE
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Reaction score
Vehicles
Old
Country flag
Gentex has been making electrochromatic windows for the Boeing "Dreamliner" and this article from CES 2020 mentions crossing over to panoramic glass roofs for vehicles. Perhaps our MME's may be one of their first ventures?

https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-car-boeing-dreamliner-glass-gentex/
This sort of material has come a long way since the onset of the original transition type lenses from years ago. My personal opinion is the roof Joe saw is what was intended to be in the MME unless the testing showed problems with it. I think what you linked to is what we're likely to get.

I've been known to be wrong though.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Wow, excellent post and thank you for taking the time to do this!

Advertisement