Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Not exactly. There is a distribution of current among depth, which peaks around the surface.
As the voltage increases, the electrical field is being rejected toward the surface. This is why high voltage installations can use hollow metal tubes to carry power.
Sponsored

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Sandy gets high marks from me. Can't wait till the Ford Engineers get a chance to interact.
I agree and expect the feedback to the designers for the next generation. Some improvements can be applied for the 2023 models because the 2022 models begin production soon.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
Yes I have and do.

I don't make videos where I admit I'm confused about the subject matter of my video. He can and should pick up the phone and get clarification regarding the item on the table that confuses him on a very regular basis, so he can tell us the answer to his inquiry.

Nobody in his position should use words that betray his claim of superior knowledge and understanding while explaining something to an audience.

If he's confused about something and he fails to figure it out, then so are we and there's little need to tune in and hear him say it.
Errr...don't tune in then, nobody's forcing you to watch it and he's not charging YOU to watch it. Perhaps you would be better paying $$$$$$$ for the written reports compiled for manufacturers? ;)

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Errr...don't tune in then, nobody's forcing you to watch it and he's not charging YOU to watch it. Perhaps you would be better paying $$$$$$$ for the written reports compiled for manufacturers? ;)
I find the videos are geared a bit to manufacturers also. I am not really concerned with the success rate in manufacturing winding in stators or if one type has a success rate of 70% and the other 80%. As as purchaser what is more of interest is which is the superior finished product when it is manufactured correctly and which one will last longer. I am also not too concerned what fasteners are used or how difficult they are to install but only once they are installed that it holds together without falling apart. I see no interest in paying $$$$$$$ for that type of info.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The point I got from his post was that if something is confusing you and you just don’t understand it, bring in someone who does before you start recording. Get a rough script outline together and ensure everyone knows what’s going to be discussed.

In any event, I find Sandy’s lack of knowledge on some automotive matters amusing at times. Just means he’s human.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The point I got from his post was that if something is confusing you and you just don’t understand it, bring in someone who does before you start recording. Get a rough script outline together and ensure everyone knows what’s going to be discussed.

In any event, I find Sandy’s lack of knowledge on some automotive matters amusing at times. Just means he’s human.
Thought Sandy was an engineer they are not reward that luxury ;)

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
I find the videos are geared a bit to manufacturers also. I am not really concerned with the success rate in manufacturing winding in stators or if one type has a success rate of 70% and the other 80%. As as purchaser what is more of interest is which is the superior finished product when it is manufactured correctly and which one will last longer. I am also not too concerned what fasteners are used or how difficult they are to install but only once they are installed that it holds together without falling apart. I see no interest in paying $$$$$$$ for that type of info.
Exactly this. Munro is all for making things cheaper and/or easier for the manufacturer, and not necessarily a better product for the consumer. When he tore down a 2021 Model 3, he was praising Tesla for omitting a bunch of plastic under body panel fasteners. He was literally counting pennies saved for Tesla, $0.17 to be exact. The customers get a car with a bunch of exposed holes and a flapping under body panel, and Tesla saved $0.17.

He used to get a lot of hate from the Tesla fans, when Munro complained about how bad some of the things were on Teslas. Interestingly I can no longer find any of those videos. He must've taken them down when he was selling bumper stickers to the Tesla fans to fund his Model S Plaid purchase. Any of you boys here planning buy his bumper stickers if he decides to order a MME GT? ?

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
As the voltage increases, the electrical field is being rejected toward the surface. This is why high voltage installations can use hollow metal tubes to carry power.
Why don't we use one atom thin tubes then? :)
I mean, electrons also push each other, so the 'current tube' is not one electron thin.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Ultimately I’m happy for the videos. I may not agree with his love of plastic snaps, but I’ve never owned a vehicle before where an entire disassembly is shown on camera with all the parts laid out. Pretty amazing, really.

TheCats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y5Z
Country flag
Not exactly. There is a distribution of current among depth, which peaks around the surface.
I think that it's better to describe the effect as changes in the current and field occur first at the surface of the conductor.

So a rapidly changing voltage/current/field has the current flow mostly on the surface. A slowly changing current uses the bulk of the conductor.

It's an easy rule to apply to a conductor hanging in free space -- use finely stranded wire if you need to carry a high frequency signal. It's not especially useful to help understand what is happening in a high field, high current motor.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Skin effect is somewhat overstated - resistance is lower at the surface, and at tight bends and corners, but it doesn’t mean all the electrons move to the surface, it just means the resistance is a bit lower there. At 60hz, the skin depth in copper is something like 8mm - negligible for most applications. For DC there is no skin effect, so it doesn’t impact the HV battery cables at all.

I’m not sure what the switching frequency the inverters on the MachE are at, but even at 10kHz, the skin depth in copper is still just under a mm. It is certainly a factor in design, and there are a few tricks you can do like tubular busses in HV stations (though those are for cooling too), flat busses in large power electronics (easier to build, too) and steel cored aluminum cable for power lines, but it is oversimplifying to just say that all the current goes to the outside (at anything less than MHz frequencies).
Sponsored