BadaBing

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang & Explorer
Country flag
With all the various pictures and lighting, I'm not sure if the grill is different or not between the GT models. Even if it is somewhat different, I don't think the difference is enough to make me have a preference one way or the other. We'll see when we finally get firm options from Ford. Waiting patiently...
I like the look of the GT's carbonized grille but may wrap it with satin/matte black vinyl for a no grille look. I've always liked how much sportier and aggressive the Mustang looks with a grille delete.

2015mustanggrilledelete2.jpg
Sponsored

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Like others I assumed the performance option would offer magnaride the forged 20" wheels and up rated brakes. BEV's are very heavy and should really have brakes for hauling all the weight down multiple times to match the expected acceleration especially in times when regen is not possible due to the current state of the battery.

In reality the performance brakes should match the 350R with 6 piston calipers up front and 4 piston calipers in the rear on floating discs. But this is not Porsche but Ford we are talking about where bean counting wins over engineering so expect it to be 4 piston calipers on the front only. As the mach-e uses permanent magnet motors so it should be able to repeatedly achieve its acceleration but not much point if the brakes are easily cooked :(

The performance option should also come with some good rubber, the GT doing the rounds has pirelli p-zero not a fan as they typically have a very poor wear rate which will probably not be helped by the weight of the mach-e. Would prefer to see pilot sport 4s as the performance tire still at least the p-zeros are 245 section width so at least they are not using an eco bicycle tire.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Like others I assumed the performance option would offer magnaride the forged 20" wheels and up rated brakes. BEV's are very heavy and should really have brakes for hauling all the weight down multiple times to match the expected acceleration especially in times when regen is not possible due to the current state of the battery.

In reality the performance brakes should match the 350R with 6 piston calipers up front and 4 piston calipers in the rear on floating discs. But this is not Porsche but Ford we are talking about where bean counting wins over engineering so expect it to be 4 piston calipers on the front only. As the mach-e uses permanent magnet motors so it should be able to repeatedly achieve its acceleration but not much point if the brakes are easily cooked :(

The performance option should also come with some good rubber, the GT doing the rounds has pirelli p-zero not a fan as they typically have a very poor wear rate which will probably not be helped by the weight of the mach-e. Would prefer to see pilot sport 4s as the performance tire still at least the p-zeros are 245 section width so at least they are not using an eco bicycle tire.
When the battery is at 100% is it really full or is there a buffer? Maybe regen is still an option if there is a buffer at the top end of the battery which would allow for it to assist in braking.

Al your Pal

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Country flag
Doubtful they'll have a buffer on the top end of the battery. When people charge to max, they want the max.

Tesla automatically kills regen braking if you charge to max.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Regen can also be disabled if the battery is cold, generally anything could impact charging rate when plugged in will also have an impact on how much regen can be dumped into the battery.

Come barreling down a huge hill on a cold morning I want some brakes that won't bat an eye lid over having to haul 4800+lbs to a stop.

OP
OP

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Come barreling down a huge hill on a cold morning I want some brakes that won't bat an eye lid over having to haul 4800+lbs to a stop.
Standard friction brakes are always available on any of these vehicles.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
First, give some leeway here... This is a design manager answering tech spec questions on a fairly informal IG post. Ok, with that out of the way...

Chris Walter, who was the Exterior Design Manager for the 2021 Mustang Mach-E and is now the EDM for Mustang, responded to a few questions on his Instagram post:

Brett Burdock: Looking forward to seeing this color in person. There was early buzz about the GT Performance but cant find anything that describes what the upgrade is from the regular GT. Any deets?

Chris Walter: lots to list: 20" forged aluminum wheels, MagnaRide Suspension, Permanent Magnet Dual Motor Electric AIl Wheel Drive, 98.8 KWH Battery, 459 HP, 612 Ib/ft Torque, at the least 235 range, 0-60 in 3 seconds

BB: thanks. thought those were the specs for the "standard" GT except for the 3 sec vs "mid-3" sec 0-60. Ford's configurator doesn't show the Performance option know its a long way oft). That must have been a challenging design project to pull the Mustang design queues into a 4-door EV. Nice work.

BB: guess the GT and GT Performance are the same thing...?

CW: Two things that know for sure differentiate the GT from the GT performance: 1) the MagnaRide 2) the forged 20s...
Thanks for the attention and overall appreciation of the design process..it was a wild and challenging ride!

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
After seeing the monster that is the Mustang Mach-E 1400 and getting a better understanding of how serious Ford Performance takes Mustang, I'm starting to think that the GT will match the Performance Y and the GT Performance will beat the Tesla in a sprint to 60mph, the 1/4 mile and around a track.

I've been wondering a lot about the hardware, specifically the motors and cooling. I'm wondering if the 216kW main rear motor has been tuned or modified from the non-GT MMEs for more power or better cooling. Also, does it make sense to have the same big 216kW motor up front? Secondly, the cooling must be different to handle so much heat from accelerations/braking as you'd find on a track.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
After seeing the monster that is the Mustang Mach-E 1400 and getting a better understanding of how serious Ford Performance takes Mustang, I'm starting to think that the GT will match the Performance Y and the GT Performance will beat the Tesla in a sprint to 60mph, the 1/4 mile and around a track.

I've been wondering a lot about the hardware, specifically the motors and cooling. I'm wondering if the 216kW main rear motor has been tuned or modified from the non-GT MMEs for more power or better cooling. Also, does it make sense to have the same big 216kW motor up front? Secondly, the cooling must be different to handle so much heat from accelerations/braking as you'd find on a track.
An early report said it was not built for sustained track use. Perhaps the GT Performance is?
Sponsored