trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
It's hard to mandate suppliers to do things your way when you are very low production volume. Once Ford is ordering 300-400k units a year it's easier to tell your supplier, everything needs to be standardized since we are using your stuff across our whole lineup and don't want headaches. Ford has barely passed the 5 figure mark in deliveries. If this is the worst thing about this car then Ford did a great job regardless of what Sandy thinks about the screws.
The first mache rolling off will not be the same as the ones now. Things change and supplies fix or update parts. Launch teams keep up with what the workers say on the line and what needs to be changed or fixed.

Like a good wine or cheese. Gets better with time.
Sponsored

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Ok, got it! Screws are bad. Zip ties and nails it is.

Does anyone else feel yelled at or is it just me?

I like Sandy. He has a job to do and a product to sell to manufacturers. He may need some blood pressure meds after this vid. I still like to think about the 2nd and 3rd consumer in the life of the vehicle though and I wonder if that’s where Ford puts more thought. Tesla puts a lot of components together so when one fails, it all has to be replaced. Looks like a home mechanic can still work on a MME, maybe not.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I have not worked in a auto assembly plant. I can only pull from my experience in building kidney dialysis machines 34 years ago. I'm sure things have changed a bit.
Most medical equipment is assembled at a much slower pace, and at a lower volume. There are also many more quality checks within the production process and opportunities for rework.

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
As others have said here, the different screws seem to me to be a side-effect of the items being built by multiple vendors and I'd be surprised if Ford is actually dealing with fastening any of them.

The different plug styles/shapes actually could be helpful in making sure the final assembly doesn't accidentally use the wrong wiring harness of a given part, especially when plugs are right next to each other. (but what do I know, I'm a software nerd)
Sponsored