kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
So since this an EV do you guys think it will suffer the typical American car rattle Issue? And before you guys all flame me, don't tell me it's all B.S. I've always owned Japanese car. My friend has had either Euro or Japananese cars and he now has a 2020 Mustang GT and it rattles more than any other car he's owned and every every American rental I've owned rattled like crazy.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So since this an EV do you guys think it will suffer the typical American car rattle Issue? And before you guys all flame me, don't tell me it's all B.S. I've always owned Japs. My friend has had either Euro or Jap and he now has a 2020 Mustang GT and it rattles more than any other car he's owned and every every American rental I've owned rattled like crazy.
I think the term you're looking for is "japanese car". "Jap" doesn't mean what you think it does, apparently

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Nope.

Oh you want more? Like an explanation? Maybe....

Oh you're still waiting??

Yeah ok: Neither my Focus Electric nor the Bolt has (or had) any rattles of any kind. Sure they are driven over Michigan's terrible roads but nothing has loosened up to cause a rattle.

Aside from roads an ICE also has to deal with the constant vibrations from the gas engine; something that doesn't exist in an EV so right from the start there is less to cause a rattle.

Another thing: These are the very first ones built I would expect them to be rock solid simply because all eyes are on Ford and they are going to make sure every last thing is done.

A few years down the road, perhaps, some things will be cheapened up and you might get an odd rattle now and then but these first ones...nope.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Ford Raptor here, no rattles whatsoever. My model 3 rattled like it was going to rattle apart. Build quality is no comparison between Mach E and Tesla.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Ford Raptor here, no rattles whatsoever. My model 3 rattled like it was going to rattle apart. Build quality is no comparison between Mach E and Tesla.
I believe you. I am nowhere near thinking of buying a Tesla. It's just a concern because looking even at the Hummer EV reveal (I know its a proto) All I could see was plastic everywhere. Even the floor was plastic no carpet or material was seen in that car. Just with time I'm think these EV's will almost be plastic everywhere and I'm wondering how these "plastic" EV's will hold up long term. Especially with our shitty Quebec roads that look like the U.S. invaded us.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
no rattle in my ford 2013 explorer but an rattle could be caused by the ICE/ loose muffler or tailpipe or other items that are no longer on the mach e

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So since this an EV do you guys think it will suffer the typical American car rattle Issue? And before you guys all flame me, don't tell me it's all B.S. I've always owned Japanese car. My friend has had either Euro or Japananese cars and he now has a 2020 Mustang GT and it rattles more than any other car he's owned and every every American rental I've owned rattled like crazy.
Both of my Fusions have had zero rattles. Most cars I rent have been American-make because that's what rental fleets have a lot of, and other than a Camaro convertible and a Volvo, of all things, I've had zero rattles in a long time. In fact even my Chrysler K-Car, which by many measures was a rolling piece of crap, had zero rattles.

I'm not going to tell you it's BS, but I am going to say that the days of "American cars are all garbage" are gone like the days of "all Korean cars are garbage."

You can't logically make an argument of "my experience says everything in set A has property B" and then ignore counterexamples. I've given you counterexamples - so your basic argument is flawed.

If you think there's going to be a "typical American car rattle issue," then you shouldn't buy the car.

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium 4X, Focus Electric
Country flag
I, too , am driving a Ford Focus Electric here in SE Michigan. 65,000 miles later - still absolutely silent inside - except when the passenger seatbelt isn’t tucked in right. Then it’s a quick flip and again silent.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
The only american vehicle I owned was a Ford Edge - had it for 10 years and that was the quitest vehicle I had with no rattles etc. I am not dinging Japanese makes - had a camry - no real rattles after 10 years. My VW Passat has so many issues I could not wait to get rid of it. My Honda Odyssey minivan - had so many noises after 20-30K miles, I was glad it died by itself after 150K miles (transmission gone) - but after 10 years of that rattler - I just cant sit in any noisy cars anymore drives me nuts - so hoping the Mach E is as quiet as the Edge.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The only american vehicle I owned was a Ford Edge - had it for 10 years and that was the quitest vehicle I had with no rattles etc. I am not dinging Japanese makes - had a camry - no real rattles after 10 years. My VW Passat has so many issues I could not wait to get rid of it. My Honda Odyssey minivan - had so many noises after 20-30K miles, I was glad it died by itself after 150K miles (transmission gone) - but after 10 years of that rattler - I just cant sit in any noisy cars anymore drives me nuts - so hoping the Mach E is as quiet as the Edge.
It seems like VW has a real long-term reliability issue that I wonder about the ID.4.

The Honda amazes me tbh.

But yeah I'd expect as quiet as your Edge based on the little bit of in-car video we've seen so far.

Thopter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Turbo Creo SL Expert EVO
Country flag
Considering a MME has none of the usual culprits - exhaust, continually running engine w lots of moving parts causing vibrations, etc - I would think there’s less chance of a rattle than your pals GT.

In my experience, the faster the car, the more it rattles. Ask a Ferrari owner whether his dash or steering column makes noise.