mpvitry

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
Will the Mach-E have streaming to watch during charging?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't think that sync4 includes a streaming app, but since it has apple and android auto, you could stream on your phone to the screen while its charging

larryjwhite

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity
Country flag
I don't think that sync4 includes a streaming app, but since it has apple and android auto, you could stream on your phone to the screen while its charging
From my reading of the Fine Print in some of the Mach-E specs, Ford Does NOT provide streaming 4G data. Only that used by their car systems. If you want to view YouTube or whatever, you will need to pay for Ford Pass Connect Hot Spot on AT&T's streaming service which is $20 for "Unlimited" (22 GB per month) after which they throttle down the speed. Unless it is cheaper to use your phone's data plan. You would probably get better reception with the roof mounted antenna.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
From my reading of the Fine Print in some of the Mach-E specs, Ford Does NOT provide streaming 4G data. Only that used by their car systems. If you want to view YouTube or whatever, you will need to pay for Ford Pass Connect Hot Spot on AT&T's streaming service which is $20 for "Unlimited" (22 GB per month) after which they throttle down the speed.
Android auto lets the sync4 touchscreen essentially mirror the display of the phone, so you could play youtube videos on your phone and mirror that to the touchscreen for whatever your cell phone's data plan would charge

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Android auto lets the sync4 touchscreen essentially mirror the display of the phone, so you could play youtube videos on your phone and mirror that to the touchscreen for whatever your cell phone's data plan would charge
and hopefully not have to tilt your head 90 degrees...?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
and hopefully not have to tilt your head 90 degrees...?
I would hope expect orientation would be taken into account by the software engineers.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
I would hope expect orientation would be taken into account by the software engineers.
Me too, but... netflix refuses to play back in portrait mode (always rotated 90 degrees if I try, although I can pick the shows in portrait) on my phone and I never seen any images of the mach e with the screen with a landscape orientation, so I assume it's a fixed orientation...

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Are you sure? I've never been able to play video with Android Auto. For legal reasons I don't think they allow video.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Are you sure? I've never been able to play video with Android Auto. For legal reasons I don't think they allow video.
All I know of android audio is the shiny brochure, so no I am not certain.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
All I know of android audio is the shiny brochure, so no I am not certain.
I rented a car last year that supported Android Auto. At the time I was on business just trying to get from "point A" to "point B", and only used it to project Waze. I was awe-struck, but besides that capability, I didn't have the car long enough to try anything else that Android Auto can do.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I have Android Auto on my Bolt.

AA is not a direct mirror of the screen. It is more like a projection of a virtual screen with limited applications (typically navigation apps and streaming audio: music, podcasts, etc.).

For example: Google music and my podcasting apps show up on the car's screens but the excellent "Video LAN player" (VLC) app does not show up on my car's screen--thus no video can be played back.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

AA is not a direct mirror of the screen. It is more like a projection of a virtual screen with limited applications (typically navigation apps and streaming audio: music, podcasts, etc.).

For example: Google music and my podcasting apps show up on the car's screens but the excellent "Video LAN player" (VLC) app does not show up on my car's screen--thus no video can be played back.
ah. bummer.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Slight clarification, since I just tried it: VLC does show up but can only play audio with it.

Mooseman66

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-250, 2017 Ford explorer
Occupation
Business manager
Country flag
I’ll often eat lunch in my f250 and put my phone in the cluster laid sideways and have it Bluetoothed so I don’t have to hold it and can listen to it in the truck. Don’t do this while I’m driving but it’s easy to see the gauges so it’s the perfect resting spot to watch videos when I’m not moving

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Having Netflix, YouTube and games available on the center screen is a pretty big deal. Owners are going to want a way to pass the time when they're at a charger for 45 minutes. Hopefully some good apps are announced with release of the vehicle.
Sponsored