TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
My son is considering a Leaf S Plus, Mach E not in the budget.

Test drove one with him today, well the son drove it I rode shotgun. Seemed like a decent car. It's gonna be a daily driver/commuter and probably not see many, if any longer trips.

Anyone have any input, things to look for, reasons to avoid? It was a new 2020 model
Sponsored

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
A big downside for me is the Chademo connector. Lots of chargers still have them, but even Nissan is abandoning it, moving to the CCS connector with the Ariya. I think they will get harder to find moving forward. It may not matter if he charges exclusively at home, but something to consider.

Edit: also the cooling system is not sophisticated and Leafs have shown HV battery capacity loss, especially in warm climates. You might want to research that as well.

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
We looked into it as well, but for the money it wasn't worth it.

The new 2022 models, maybe since the MSRP is lowered and with the Federal Tax Incentive it can be an under $20K Car.

The two points Scarpia posted above are both valid concerns that can be mitigated depending upon use case / location.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Car will reside in the Baltimore and surrounding area, primarily charged at home. I don't see him traveling with it since he doesn't rally like to drive long distances anyway.

Good to know about the battery degradation with heat.

Considering the $7500 tax credit, along with either a $6000 or a $7500 rebate from Nissan depending on finance choice it does come out to be a very reasonably priced car

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Test drove one with him today, well the son drove it I rode shotgun. Seemed like a decent car. It's gonna be a daily driver/commuter and probably not see many, if any longer trips.

Anyone have any input, things to look for, reasons to avoid? It was a new 2020 model
Look at the lease option on the Leaf. That way your son can give it back and walk away when the battery is cooked after the lease term is up.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
It really is a pretty nice car, especially with the deals they are giving. Pretty basic, not a lot of bells and whistles compared to some newer ones, but worth considering for sure. Read up on Edmunds and other review sites, there is a lot of info, opinions, ratings to give you what you need.
As with any EV, the operating costs, convenience, and lack of maintenance should be fantastic.

Reactions: TRP

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It really is a pretty nice car, especially with the deals they are giving. Pretty basic, not a lot of bells and whistles compared to some newer ones, but worth considering for sure. Read up on Edmunds and other review sites, there is a lot of info, opinions, ratings to give you what you need.
As with any EV, the operating costs, convenience, and lack of maintenance should be fantastic.
Agree. Still better than burning fossil fuels. A good affordable BEV and a very reasonable choice for those on a tight budget.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Thanks all.

I updated for the correct model year.

He needs to sell a 2016 Fiesta ST Hatchback with a few mods. The quoted a pretty lowball trade value.

balataspin

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Escape SEL, 2021 Mach - E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Thanks all.

I updated for the correct model year.

He needs to sell a 2016 Fiesta ST Hatchback with a few mods. The quoted a pretty lowball trade value.
Take the mods off if you can or sell it on a local Fiesta/Focus ST Facebook group. I got almost what paid for my Focus ST when I traded it in for my Mach E after 5.5 years and 55,000 miles.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Take the mods off if you can or sell it on a local Fiesta/Focus ST Facebook group. I got almost what paid for my Focus ST when I traded it in for my Mach E after 5.5 years and 55,000 miles.
The mods are an intake, exhaust and wheels (scuffs included for free), he has the stock parts. Not sure it's worth the effort to remove, honestly.

He did list it on an ST FB page, maybe the one you mentioned. He contacted Carvana and they offered $4000 more than the dealer trade offer. So, we may just take that offer and move on.

Again, appreciate all the info. Great forum we have here

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
A big downside for me is the Chademo connector. Lots of chargers still have them, but even Nissan is abandoning it, moving to the CCS connector with the Ariya. I think they will get harder to find moving forward. It may not matter if he charges exclusively at home, but something to consider.
This is key and a reason I would only go with a CCS car if buying new:
Electrify America Is Phasing Out CHAdeMO Chargers, and That’s a Big Deal for Old EVs
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/41735...emo-chargers-and-thats-a-big-deal-for-old-evs

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Electrify America Is Phasing Out CHAdeMO Chargers, and That’s a Big Deal for Old EVs
https://www.thedrive.com/tech/41735...emo-chargers-and-thats-a-big-deal-for-old-evs
That's the biggest drawback. However, if Tesla ever does provide Superchargers to others, a CHAdeMO should be able to use it. I wouldn't bet on it happening soon though.

You have to check on the portable charger you get with the car, since trim levels (and model years) may provide different chargers.

OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
That's the biggest drawback. However, if Tesla ever does provide Superchargers to others, a CHAdeMO should be able to use it. I wouldn't bet on it happening soon though.

You have to check on the portable charger you get with the car, since trim levels (and model years) may provide different chargers.
The car we are looking at comes with the portable charger. The car itself has the Chademo as well as the J1772 plug.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

@ChasingCoral had (has?) an older version of the Leaf. he and others might be able to shed light on it as a daily driver.

Reactions: TRP
OP
OP

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Thats good to know and I sort of expected it. That being said, he would be utilizing the DCFC network rarely if ever. He just doesn't like to drive long distances.

The real reason we are looking at this car is because of the rebates and incentives Nissan is offering. Here's a run down on what this dealer is offering.
$7500 off MSRP
$7500 more if we finance at 0% for 72mo. Free $$$$
$7500 tax credit
Brings a $39000 car down to $24000 pretty quick. Then add in $100 savings per month on gas and a few MD tax and utility incentives and it becomes a pretty good deal, IMHO.
We are going to talk about a lease, mostly because of the Chademo thing, but I really don't think this is a bad deal so far.
Sponsored