SightUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
ARNG
Country flag

This review is heavily in favor of the IONIQ 5. Is there any validity to it? This review poops on the Mach-E pretty significantly. As an owner who brought home their Mach-E only 18 hours ago, it has me a little worried.
Sponsored

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
And no doubt you can find a video on the Internet that poops on the Ioniq 5 and lauds the MME. They're both great cars. I could see myself driving either one, but I chose the MME.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
He reviews cars like appliances and I think has said as much. The Hyundai has a faster DCFC speed, so he was always going to like it more. He also thought the MachE GTPE was great after driving it, now disregards it because of the 5sec power limitation which he didn't even notice during his review video.

I used to watch a lot of his videos, but he's becoming less tolerable and I suspect that he's getting kickbacks for reviews as well - ex: getting a Rivian in 2 days, being flown out to Germany, etc..

Personally, I don't think the Hyundai is the better car, but that's subjective like everyone's opinion.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
He reviews cars like appliances and I think has said as much. The Hyundai has a faster DCFC speed, so he was always going to like it more. He also thought the MachE GTPE was great after driving it, now disregards it because of the 5sec power limitation which he didn't even notice during his review video.

I used to watch a lot of his videos, but he's becoming less tolerable and I suspect that he's getting kickbacks for reviews as well - ex: getting a Rivian in 2 days, being flown out to Germany, etc..

Personally, I don't think the Hyundai is the better car, but that's subjective like everyone's opinion.
He still seems to like the Mach E GTPE very much, but is rightfully hard on Ford for under-engineering it. I enjoy his videos because they go into detail in a way other car reviews do not. Plus, he's harsh on every car manufacturer, it's refreshing. I do think he was overly harsh on this Ioniq comparison video.

And if you think he gets kick backs, then God knows what other car journalists get.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag

Agree, his earlier videos were more natural and less dramatic.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
He still seems to like the Mach E GTPE very much, but is rightfully hard on Ford for under-engineering it. I enjoy his videos because they go into detail in a way other car reviews do not. Plus, he's harsh on every car manufacturer, it's refreshing. I do think he was overly harsh on this Ioniq comparison video.

And if you think he gets kick backs, then God knows what other car journalists get.
You think?

He just got a Model S Plaid and, in the parking lot of the dealer, noticed that the frunk wouldn't open and trim was falling off. He laughed and said "well it's a Tesla."

He also said the paint on the same car was good despite the video clearly showing a paint defect that looked like they painted over bird poop. In the podcast he mentioned that he sent the car back to Tesla to have the paint fixed, but never mentioned this in the review of the Tesla's paint. Why?

In his review of the Rivian (did I mention he got it in 2 days?) he said it was great, then we learn in the podcast that he had to send it back for A/C issues? Why?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You think?

He just got a Model S Plaid and, in the parking lot of the dealer, noticed that the frunk wouldn't open and trim was falling off. He laughed and said "well it's a Tesla."

He also said the paint on the same car was good despite the video clearly showing a paint defect that looked like they painted over bird poop. In the podcast he mentioned that he sent the car back to Tesla to have the paint fixed, but never mentioned this in the review of the Tesla's paint. Why?

In his review of the Rivian (did I mention he got it in 2 days?) he said it was great, then we learn in the podcast that he had to send it back for A/C issues? Why?
Him sending back the Model S Plaid seems to have been after he got the detailing done, which was a really enjoyable video. I think he's just as hard on Tesla as he is on other manufacturers. Him saying, "it's a Tesla" means, to me at least, that yeah this car is put together shoddily. He pointed that stuff out when other Youtubers probably would hide it.

The Rivian did seem to be a curious case, but then you read this and see it's a program the company is doing. They got his to him sooner because it's a PR move. https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a40299883/rivian-r1t-delivery-dates/

Time will tell if he is honest about the Rivian. In a recent video driving the Rivian, he does show it had some bugs and the AC stuff wasn't working properly. So he isn't hiding the faults.

And I believe it was a recent podcast where he praised the Mach E yet again. No one is perfect, everyone will assume every journalist is paid, look at Johnny Lieberman and his Rivian. Man loves it, people think he's paid by them.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My opinion of his opinion is very opinionated... He's click/view chasing. Nothing more.
I have to disagree...he seems very knowledgeable (if not insanely opinionated and sometimes borderline rude to other people in his videos) and does deep dives other reviewers do not.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I have to disagree...he seems very knowledgeable (if not insanely opinionated and sometimes borderline rude to other people in his videos) and does deep dives other reviewers do not.
I agree with that. But his viewpoint CHANGES. If you watch all his videos you'll find him contradicting himself constantly. Which only makes sense if you accept that he's good with all viewpoints so he can cover them in his videos and appeal to a wider audience. My favorite contradiction was in one video long ago he actually stated you should NEVER buy a used E-tron. Fast forward 1.5 years and he bought one. lol.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree with that. But his viewpoint CHANGES. If you watch all his videos you'll find him contradicting himself constantly. Which only makes sense if you accept that he's good with all viewpoints so he can cover them in his videos and appeal to a wider audience. My favorite contradiction was in one video long ago he actually stated you should NEVER buy a used E-tron. Fast forward 1.5 years and he bought one. lol.
I agree with you there! Plus, the man talks so much that he is just going to contradict himself at some point lol

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
In the podcast he mentioned that he sent the car back to Tesla to have the paint fixed, but never mentioned this in the review of the Tesla's paint. Why?

Because he gets caught up in hype, skewing his objectivity and journalistic integrity. There are times when Kyle is super objective. Other times he is overly dramatic, and disconnected from the realities of the EV and automotive market while feeding into the YT algorithm. Why is he prioritizing Plaid and other premium EV coverage (EQS) when 99.99% will never be in a position to own one, market conditions make almost all vehicles unreachable for at least six months, and it does nothing to move the needle for grassroots EV evangelism and adoption?

Clicks.

Watch the recent InsideEVS podcast when lower end EVs in Europe are discussed, or the announcement of the Blazer. He literally scoffs and laughs when asked if he wanted to comment on these topics. If it's not premium hot shit he's not interested. The channel has become pretentious noise formatted for rambling, sponsorships, and uneccessary lengths. Here is a 90 minute video of his dad running out of power in his Ionic 5 and plugging into an outlet at a gas station used for a freezer. He made it to a level 3 later. There. Saved you 90 minutes.

Where are the videos about what's actually happening to the BBB funding set aside for level 3 charging across the nation? Where are the videos promoting the need for low cost EV's that will drive mass adoption? Where are the videos exploring aftermarket solutions to extend EV ownership a la Electrified Garage?

Nope. Focused on bullshit.

I'm overly critical of Kyle's channel because they've quickly become a leading voice in my opinion and largely squander it for clicks and hype as opposed to content that would properly educate and evangelize to benefit the EV movement.

Hi Kyle. 👋

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Because he gets caught up in hype, skewing his objectivity and journalistic integrity. There are times when Kyle is super objective. Other times he is overly dramatic, and disconnected from the realities of the EV and automotive market while feeding into the YT algorithm. Why is he prioritizing Plaid and other premium EV coverage (EQS) when 99.99% will never be in a position to own one, market conditions make almost all vehicles unreachable for at least six months, and it does nothing to move the needle for grassroots EV evangelism and adoption?

Clicks.

Watch the recent InsideEVS podcast when lower end EVs in Europe are discussed, or the announcement of the Blazer. He literally scoffs and laughs when asked if he wanted to comment on these topics. If it's not premium hot shit he's not interested. The channel has become pretentious noise formatted for rambling, sponsorships, and uneccessary lengths. Here is a 90 minute video of his dad running out of power in his Ionic 5 and plugging into an outlet at a gas station used for a freezer. He made it to a level 3 later. There. Saved you 90 minutes.

Where are the videos about what's actually happening to the BBB funding set aside for level 3 charging across the nation? Where are the videos promoting the need for low cost EV's that will drive mass adoption? Where are the videos exploring aftermarket solutions to extend EV ownership a la Electrified Garage?

Nope. Focused on bullshit.

I'm overly critical of Kyle's channel because they've quickly become a leading voice in my opinion and largely squander it for clicks and hype as opposed to content that would properly educate and evangelize to benefit the EV movement.

Hi Kyle. 👋
Sorry, but one could argue it's not his job to do videos on electric government programs and make sure EV adoption is widespread. He makes these videos for entertainment with some information, in my opinion. I don't want to watch a video on BBB funding but DO want to see a deep-dive on a crazy charging station in Europe! lol

And the road trip videos they post actually could be seen as a way to help EV adoption...it shows how much work still needs to be done with infrastructure. His video racing the Lightning with a trailer was a DISASTER for charging and he says it at the end of the video. Any government official sees that and maybe it will spur some change.

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Sorry, but one could argue it's not his job to do videos on electric government programs and make sure EV adoption is widespread. He makes these videos for entertainment with some information, in my opinion. I don't want to watch a video on BBB funding but DO want to see a deep-dive on a crazy charging station in Europe! lol
You are absolutely right. I never said it's his job to perform. It's a missed opportunity as a leading voice. Meanwhile hundreds of smaller channels are also happy to attend every presser and do a test drive.
Sponsored