Mach E vs the Ioniq 5

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
No heated steering wheel. Lacking distinctive styling (except for the Hyundai’s diagonal creases on the sides, which are ugly), it’s hardly a ‘classics,’ as a Kia/Hyundai rather than a Ford Mustang, and it’s $58K to boot…no thanks.
Not to mention Hyundai Ev's have had more recalls than any other EV so far. Think Kyle pointed that out in today's inside ev. Time will tell.
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I haven't seen pricing announced for the US yet. Is this figure published?
TrimSESELLimited
MSRP*$45,000(expected)$52,090(expected)$57,000(expected)
Pretty much what was talked about at the Chicago auto show? Pretty much what most auto journalists are saying also.

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME First Edition (cancelled), Ioniq 5 Project 45
Country flag
No heated steering wheel.
Untrue. The steering wheel is heated.

Lacking distinctive styling
This is absolutely not true either. I don’t count anymore the number of people that are turning their heads when they see me driving. Nor the number of people coming to me asking questions every time I stop the car. And all of them tell me that the car is amazing, very beautiful, looks like nothing else, looks like a concept car, is coming from outer space (yep, got that remark for real ?), etc.

I perfectly understand that people can find the car ugly or beautiful (I even wrote that in a post above), but « lacking distinctive styling »? No.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Untrue. The steering wheel is heated.

This is absolutely not true either. I don’t count anymore the number of people that are turning their heads when they see me driving. Nor the number of people coming to me asking questions every time I stop the car. And all of them tell me that the car is amazing, very beautiful, looks like nothing else, looks like a concept car, is coming from outer space (yep, got that remark for real ?), etc.

I perfectly understand that people can find the car ugly or beautiful (I even wrote that in a post above), but « lacking distinctive styling »? No.
When I checked the Kia and Hyundai websites there was no mention of heated steering wheel. As for the styling, its certainly subjective, and I find the creases to be awful. The best part of the design is in the interior, which has a well-designed dashboard. Still I think the price is way too high for a Hyundai or Kia.

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I checked the Kia and Hyundai websites there was no mention of heated steering wheel. As for the styling, its certainly subjective, and I find the creases to be awful. The best part of the design is in the interior, which has a well-designed dashboard. Still I think the price is way too high for a Hyundai or Kia.
It may be that this is not the case in the US and only for EUR & Korea (but I doubt / to be confirmed when available in your country).

Yep, design is subjective as you say. So far, I had only thumbs up, but maybe people hating it don’t mark any feeling ?
The car is better looking in real. I have to admit that the Z wasn’t my favorite part of the design, but it actually is quite nice in real (again, my feeling, could be different for someone else).

The interior is really awesome!

And, as for Hyundai/Kia, yes, you would have told me that I’m going to drive one 5 years ago, I would have laugh very much ? (I’m driving Lexus for the past 14 years). But I could have said the same for Ford when si reserved my Mach-E ?

To be honest, thus has nothing to do with former Hyundai/Kia cars. They started from low quality cheap cars, moved to mid quality cars, but here, they are targeting the premium range. I have to say that they did a really decent job.

I can confirm that the comfort of the Ioniq 5 is great (and I’m coming from a RX450h so I know way it means). It is not a sport car (the EV6 is targeting thus), more a family car, with a lot of attention to people other than the driver. But in sport mode, I can tell you that the car is pushing! Love it!

Last edited:

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
wrong the mache awd ext prem is comparable to the limited, not sel. The pricing will be around 57,000.

Other features that are euro models might not make it also. So the mache will have things the Ioniq will not vice versa.

Also, the euro market warranty is not the same as America. You keep saying the warranty is so much better than the mache but really it's about the same.

Last edited:

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep, mine has it!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E vs the Ioniq 5 F6A5E762-27DD-4E11-B8CC-4E6E2DB50355

Cricri67

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
+ heated back seats
+ sliding back seats is electric (which also can be controlled from the front)
+ 2xUSB & 220V (V2L)
+ sliding console
+ curtains integrated to windows
+ flat floor

… + huge space for legs!

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
The EV6 First Edition was $58.5K in the USA. I've seen nothing on the Ioniq 5. I suspect the top trims will run around the same as the MME. Car pricing is actually really ubiquitous on a feature for feature basis. The only place it gets sideways is low-end and high-end brands. The middle is remarkably consistent.

Probably repeating myself here, but,

I haven't run a full feature comparison on the cars. I'm a big fan of a HUD so I lean towards the Kia / Hyundai. I have zero doubts the infotainment / safety will be better on them. Better warranty on that side. Kia / Hyundai have received better reliability ratings in the recent past but the fires may have dented that. Dealers aren't the best for any of them but getting towed to a Ford dealer will be a lot faster than getting towed to a Kia / Hyundai dealer most likely.

I like the EV6 looks, maybe a tiny bit better than the MME. I, actually, want to like the Ioniq more because it's just weird, but all those angles and lighting seems like it's asking for problems.

Can't speak to any of the rest because we haven't seen any reviews on the USA versions or gotten any to drive, yet. Honestly, I think any of the 3 would be fine.
Sponsored