Mach-E will have OTA Updates

srogers

Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion 2013
Here is a video of the Director of Electrification Ford Europe explaining what systems are updated over-the-air. He explains the update feature at the timestamp 2:40.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSteelRider

Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD
Here is a link to the Director of Electrification Ford Europe explaining what systems are updated over-the-air. He explains the update feature at the timestamp 2:40.
To add confusion to the never-ending "how much range will it really have" discussions all over this forum, I thought it would be fun to dissect this video for "range glamour shots".

255 Km (158 miles) / 56% battery remaining = 282 Miles (453 Km) total range
0 Km / no battery remaining displayed = who knows, demo mode?
399 Km (247 miles) / no battery remaining displayed = can't calculate range
410 Km (254 miles) / 82% battery remaining (assumed ... background out of focus hard to tell) = 309 Miles (497 Km) total range

I assume the differences are A-roll vs. B-roll footage edited together. That said, the last link / timestamp showing 309 miles appears to be B-roll with the speaker holding a camera (you see his fingers pointing just as he was doing in the prior shot before the jump cut), so I hope that one is the most reliable!

TheSteelRider

Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD
Here is another gem (well, a gem for tech nerds like me clamoring for any nugget of information on the Mach E tech). We get an apparent glimpse into the front display working.

Starting at about 3:23 - 3:25 appears to be uncut A-roll. As the camera operator walks closer and pans into the steering wheel / display we start with the display apparently off. As the camera is panning, the display appears to "wake up" when the speaker touches the wheel. We can't see the speaker's feet, so we can't tell if he steps on the brake pedal (or, etc.) but it at least doesn't look like it. It appears at least to have been the touch / nudge on the wheel. I assume it's only a "wake up the display" because we only see PRNDL, not anything else.

Continue past 3:26 which appears to be a jump cutto B-roll which I personally suspect is shot after this scene (more in a minute).

Keep going to about 3:38 and we jump cut back to what appears to be the original A-roll we started with at 3:23. At this point, the display is now what I would describe as "fully illuminated", yet showing apparent "null or default" data like 0 Km range and the like.

I bet the way it is working is that if you get in the car and touch / nudge the wheel (probable, although again perhaps you tap the brake pedal) it starts to wake the display immediately displaying PRNDL. It likely takes a couple seconds to boot, then displays the "null or default" data. My guess is he then hit the ignition button for the B-roll and that causes the display to initialize with real data.

Anyway, very geeky and nerdy and all speculation based off clearly edited video, but thought some other nerd might enjoy.