srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
Here is a video of the Director of Electrification Ford Europe explaining what systems are updated over-the-air. He explains the update feature at the timestamp 2:40.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Here is a link to the Director of Electrification Ford Europe explaining what systems are updated over-the-air. He explains the update feature at the timestamp 2:40.
To add confusion to the never-ending "how much range will it really have" discussions all over this forum, I thought it would be fun to dissect this video for "range glamour shots".

255 Km (158 miles) / 56% battery remaining = 282 Miles (453 Km) total range
0 Km / no battery remaining displayed = who knows, demo mode?
399 Km (247 miles) / no battery remaining displayed = can't calculate range
410 Km (254 miles) / 82% battery remaining (assumed ... background out of focus hard to tell) = 309 Miles (497 Km) total range

I assume the differences are A-roll vs. B-roll footage edited together. That said, the last link / timestamp showing 309 miles appears to be B-roll with the speaker holding a camera (you see his fingers pointing just as he was doing in the prior shot before the jump cut), so I hope that one is the most reliable!

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Here is another gem (well, a gem for tech nerds like me clamoring for any nugget of information on the Mach E tech). We get an apparent glimpse into the front display working.

Starting at about 3:23 - 3:25 appears to be uncut A-roll. As the camera operator walks closer and pans into the steering wheel / display we start with the display apparently off. As the camera is panning, the display appears to "wake up" when the speaker touches the wheel. We can't see the speaker's feet, so we can't tell if he steps on the brake pedal (or, etc.) but it at least doesn't look like it. It appears at least to have been the touch / nudge on the wheel. I assume it's only a "wake up the display" because we only see PRNDL, not anything else.

Continue past 3:26 which appears to be a jump cutto B-roll which I personally suspect is shot after this scene (more in a minute).

Keep going to about 3:38 and we jump cut back to what appears to be the original A-roll we started with at 3:23. At this point, the display is now what I would describe as "fully illuminated", yet showing apparent "null or default" data like 0 Km range and the like.

I bet the way it is working is that if you get in the car and touch / nudge the wheel (probable, although again perhaps you tap the brake pedal) it starts to wake the display immediately displaying PRNDL. It likely takes a couple seconds to boot, then displays the "null or default" data. My guess is he then hit the ignition button for the B-roll and that causes the display to initialize with real data.

Anyway, very geeky and nerdy and all speculation based off clearly edited video, but thought some other nerd might enjoy.

Shihear

First Name
Shihear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT350
Country flag
I am worried that Ford will neglect the Mach E in OTA updates as they have so many ICE vehicles to tend to vs. Tesla's line up of EVs which they solely focus on them. So that would be my major concern unless ford has a dedicated team to monitor the mach e which would be a peace of mind if they do.
I don't think that will be an issue. The Mach-E is too important a vehicle to bungle OTA updates for, especially since they've made such a big deal about the feature.

And yes the Mach-E and current/future Ford EVs have an entire organization/division dedicated to them - Team Edison. So I don't think we'll have to worry about them splitting their attention with Ford's ICE vehicles.

SSman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3
Country flag
The big question is if (and which) new features will be FREE
To have the Tesla automatically change lanes, you have to buy the $7000 full self driving package. It would be nice if Ford included this for free.

Tesla is now charging for a performance update on the model 3 AWD. It's $2000 for about a 1/2 second drop in 0-60 time.
This is my fear too despite what the OP posted that there will be no cost for OTA updates. I remember reading somewhere that Ford is going to mimic Tesla's model and if this this the directly it is slowly moving towards (a paid one for certain features) it becomes a slipper slope.

The cnet article seems to contradict what Ford said in its reveal event. The cnet article says, “Ford's OTA updates in the 2021 Mustang Mach-E begins with infotainment systems, Washington said. It doesn't reach into the systems controlling how the Mustang Mach-E starts, stops, or steers.”

In the reveal, Ford said that hands-free driving would be available as an over-the-air update. It seems to me that the update would modify, steering, braking, and acceleration. I guess we will have to wait to see how the update is installed.
Maybe the hands free driving feature won't be offered in 2021 then? Or was this confirmed somewhere to be arriving sooner than later? If not then the articles wouldn't contradict, but I hope that's not the case.

Res Nullius

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf, X3
Country flag
The big question is if (and which) new features will be FREE

This is my fear too despite what the OP posted that there will be no cost for OTA updates. I remember reading somewhere that Ford is going to mimic Tesla's model and if this this the directly it is slowly moving towards (a paid one for certain features) it becomes a slipper slope.

Maybe the hands free driving feature won't be offered in 2021 then? Or was this confirmed somewhere to be arriving sooner than later? If not then the articles wouldn't contradict, but I hope that's not the case.
If an OTA update is a big enough performance upgrade, I don't mind seeing them charge for it. That's been Tesla's way as of late anyway so the market is prepared for it if Ford decides to do the same with Mach-E updates.

I do think Tesla is starting to get greedy though... like $7k for FSD (Full Self Driving) which isn't even fully released yet. And even if it were released, that's still too much to charge. $7k is almost 15-20% of an average Model 3's price! :eek:

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
I do think Tesla is starting to get greedy though... like $7k for FSD (Full Self Driving) which isn't even fully released yet. And even if it were released, that's still too much to charge. $7k is almost 15-20% of an average Model 3's price! :eek:
FSD is supposed to be ready by the end of the year but even Tesla owners aren't banking on it. As recently as early last year even Tesla sales was saying that activation of the package could still be “very far away”:
“Before I take your order for the FSD, I would like to point out that the legal aspect of Full Self Driving is very far away. Especially in Europe, the USA might be closer to get it legalized.”
So you're paying $7k for technology that might be affected by legislation, either delayed or nerfed possibly. ?
Sponsored