eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
My Volt has L on the shifter for more aggressive regenerative braking. The problem is this implies a lower gear, as it is on all cars with automatic transmission, but that's not what it really is.

Shouldn't the label for the selection describe what it does?
My guess is Ford and Chevy see it as a "lower" gear in the sense that Ford has described it in a way that makes it sound like a downshift on a manual transmission to use engine braking.

""In the Mach-E, when you need a bit more deceleration (say, for an upcoming red light), you can press the L button in the center of rotary shifter to engage low range and slow the electric Mustang SUV a bit more without touching the brake pedal." (From Kelley Blue Book)
Sponsored

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that driver's view info center is a direct result of feedback from people who felt Tesla's M3 and MY interior was too sparse. One of the biggest complaints I hear about the newer model Teslas is that people do not like to have to look at the Center info tablet for feedback. Ford was smart to add that little display for the driver to glance at.

Perhaps the most important aspect of an intelligent monitoring system is for cold weather folk. EVs lose drastic amounts of range in severely cold weather. So it would be nice to see Ford's system take into account weather forecasts and knock 30% off your battery range for that cold day.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My Volt has L on the shifter for more aggressive regenerative braking. The problem is this implies a lower gear, as it is on all cars with automatic transmission, but that's not what it really is.

Yes, it should. I think L is mislabeling on the Volt. Since the MME has three regeneration modes, it makes me wonder what L is on the MME since it has a single speed transmission.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
My guess is Ford and Chevy see it as a "lower" gear in the sense that Ford has described it in a way that makes it sound like a downshift on a manual transmission to use engine braking.

""In the Mach-E, when you need a bit more deceleration (say, for an upcoming red light), you can press the L button in the center of rotary shifter to engage low range and slow the electric Mustang SUV a bit more without touching the brake pedal." (From Kelley Blue Book)
Yes, but it doesn't change gears. There is no low range. It implies that it has something that it doesn't have. Some people will believe that it will accelerate better if it's in L, but it won't.

The B label would be better or maybe G for gen.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, but it doesn't change gears. There is no low range. It implies that it has something that it doesn't have. Some people will believe that it will accelerate better if it's in L, but it won't.

The B label would be better or maybe G for gen.
I agree. I'm not saying I agree with use of "L"... just trying to guess what the reasoning was. I do like B better.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
By the way . . . That instrument cluster is turning out to be a smarter and smarter idea by Ford vs. the competition just doing the huge screen. I think it is a BIG improvement.
Frankly, it's a no-brainer. I have no idea what Tesla was thinking when they didn't put in a driver dash display screen. I think every car in history has a driver dash display of some kind.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Frankly, it's a no-brainer. I have no idea what Tesla was thinking when they didn't put in a driver dash display screen. I think every car in history has a driver dash display of some kind.
I got used to it on the MINI Cooper.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
So
Yeah I wonder if that is an out regarding the fact that it only applies during the initial warranty period.
Sounds more like a trim level inclusion ("included for certain owners") rather than an issue of warranty. Certainly not clearly spelled out yet, but should be next week.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I think "L" is probably a good choice for it, for a few reasons. First, it's what drivers are already used to. Ford buyers (on average) will be more traditional than Tesla buyers, and the more they can copy from little things that their ICE drivers are already used to, the more comfortable it makes the transition to a BEV.

Second, higher regen does act like a lower gear downshift. Except only when decelerating (whereas in an ICE car it affects both acceleration and deceleration).

There's not enough room on the dial to spell out what each letter stands for. But that's what the driver's manual is for. ;)

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Interesting to note that Ford has moved away from the "B" designation for a high regeneration mode used in the Toyota Prius and Nissan Leaf and have "L" on the shifter. I'm guessing this will be more of a downshift than a change in regeneration as we already know the regeneration modes of Whisper, Engage and Unbridled are selected elsewhere.

One other thing to get used to: My Leaf uses the center button for Park. The Mustang Mach E uses the center button for low with Park at the left side of the dial (Prius had a separate Park button)

21_FRD_MCH_48340.jpg
The FFE and Energi models have "L" .
It is max regen where "D" is more like a normal automatic transmission feel.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
To clarify...
The FFE and Energi models do not have true one pedal driving so "L" is a more aggressive regen setting compared to "D"

No clue what "L" will do on the MME though. My guess is it will place the vehicle in one pedal driving mode. I think the menu settings will allow various degrees of regen while driving in "D". Mild to aggressive?

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To clarify...
The FFE and Energi models do not have true one pedal driving so "L" is a more aggressive regen setting compared to "D"

No clue what "L" will do on the MME though. My guess is it will place the vehicle in one pedal driving mode. I think the menu settings will allow various degrees of regen while driving in "D". Mild to aggressive?
I keep referencing this other thread so as not to hijack this other topic:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/regenerative-braking.658/page-2

But, in short, it looks like L will allow driver to quickly make the Whisper and Engage modes act more like the Unbridled when it comes to regen.
There is a one-pedal setting but that looks like something that will be selected through the main screen.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
No More Second-Guessing: All-New Ford Mustang Mach-E Addresses Range Anxiety with Upgradeable Intelligent Range

Mustang-Mach-E.jpg

• Mustang Mach-E helps reduce unplanned stops for charging with innovative new Intelligent Range, which more accurately predicts how much range drivers have using past driving behavior, weather forecasts and crowdsourced data from other Mustang Mach-E vehicles
  • Future over-the-air update will enable even more accurate connected vehicle predictions – including the ability to factor in real-time traffic conditions, terrain and elevation of a given route and more – letting drivers know if they need to anticipate a charging stop
  • In case a customer runs out of charge, the Ford Roadside Assistance program will tow their all-electric vehicle to their home, the nearest public charger or an electric vehicle-certified Ford dealership within 35 miles
DEARBORN, Mich., June 19, 2020 – For electric vehicle owners, Ford understands that taking the guesswork out of when and where to re-charge helps build trust and provide peace of mind. That’s why the all-new Mustang Mach-E comes equipped with a feature to help more accurately predict how much range drivers have left, becoming more precise over time.

Mustang Mach-E’s innovative Intelligent Range can accurately estimate how much range the all-electric SUV has left, helping reduce anxiety about when and where customers can recharge.

“Electric vehicle customers need to be able to trust their range estimates,” said Darren Palmer, Ford global director, battery electric vehicles. “People want to be confident they’re going to make it where they need to go, whether they’re on a road trip or coming home from work. Our new Intelligent Range feature helps ensure Mustang Mach-E owners around the globe know where they stand ahead of time, freeing them up to enjoy the ride.”

Intelligent Range will calculate range based on past driver behavior and forecasted weather conditions – taking advantage of the cloud to predict how much energy will be used in future driving. The vehicle battery system reports how much energy is available, while the powertrain module tracks how much energy is being used. Warmer or colder weather can impact range, so Intelligent Range takes that into consideration, too, updating estimated range along the way.

Crowdsourced data from other connected Ford electric vehicles who choose to share information on the road can improve estimates considerably. The all-electric SUV can track how much energy is used in different circumstances, including varying speed, terrain and climate conditions, so it can use fleet averages across all Mustang Mach-Es to improve range estimates – even for routes and conditions an individual customer has never driven before.

If range is impacted notably by any number of factors at the start of a trip, customers will receive a notification in their cluster highlighting the new range estimate and details about why the estimate changed.

In case a Mustang Mach-E does run out of charge, the Ford Roadside Assistance program will tow customers free of charge to where they want within 35 miles – whether that be their home, the nearest public charger or an EV-certified Ford dealership.

If a customer’s home, the nearest charge station or dealership is more than 35 miles away, they will be taken to the closest location available.

Ford will upgrade Intelligent Range through over-the-air updates, designed to deliver even more accurate prediction capabilities for connected Mustang Mach-E, keeping their fully electric SUVs at the forefront of technology. A future update will allow Mustang Mach-E to take even more advantage of cloud-connected capabilities, enabling it to factor in real-time traffic conditions, road slope, the terrain and elevation of a given route, and even the temperature at their final destination.

“Changes in driver behavior and the environment can impact range, which is the reason other electric vehicles often experience significant range adjustments,” said Mark Poll, Ford’s EV charging user experience manager. “Ford is tapping the power of the cloud to make estimates even more accurate – reducing the need for surprise charging stops and helping reduce customers’ range anxiety.”

Reserve the Mustang Mach-E here.

*Roadside assistance is included for certain owners and available to everyone for a per-service fee.

**Actual range varies with conditions such as external elements, driving behaviors, vehicle maintenance, lithium-ion battery age and state of health.

Intelligent-Range-External-Temperature-Adjustment.jpg

Intellegent-Range-Overview.jpg
Display looks nice. I am hoping the turn signal and windshield wiper handles have the duck tails on the top edges. Love the way it feels on our FFE and Energi cars. Sat in a new Escape at the dealership and the duck tails were gone. !!?