Mache mileage variation after each charge

kbb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mache
Country flag
Hello,
I got my mustang mache on Nov 20, 2021. Initially the mileage range was 290, later after every full charge the mileage is keep on varying, it became 280 then 220 then 200 and today it is showing 202. I was under the impression it could be due to the weather condition, where I'm the temperature is varying between 30 to 50F for the last 1 month.
I'm not sure whether this is expected or something is wrong!!
Did anyone else notice this variation?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Dozens of threads on this, and you're one of the only ones that correctly identified the reason. Congrats!

There is a fix, drive 800 miles due south.

You can read more, but in short focus on miles per kwh, and do the math on your battery capacity. Setting departure times will raise efficiency.

Last edited:

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
Completely normal. So many factors go into the GOM estimate. Short trips in the cold will decimate its range estimates.

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Got my Mach e GT before Christmas and target range was 228 miles. Temperature in low 50ā€™s. Now temperatures are in in the 30s and low 40s and target range is 181. Sucks!! But I still love the car.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
That range calculation takes into account outside temps, driving habits, how far your normal trip is, how much heat you like to use, whether you may have a headwind where the car thinks you might be headed, and a bunch of other things we donā€™t even know.
So unless every time you drive, you drive the exact same place at the exact same speed in the exact same weather, itā€™s bound to change.
Ford made the algorithm so complex itā€™s kind of self defeating. They also made it so conservative that itā€™s hard to take it seriously.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes your car loses range in cold temperatures, but the range display overcompensates. BTW it is called the "guess-o-meter" (GOM) if that is any indication of how much you can trust it. More detailed explanation:

1. Because the car doesn't know how far, how fast, in what conditions, etc it cannot be exact unless you actually put in a route right then - and even that is an approximation based on modeling. Thus the GOM is intentionally conservative as a "worst case" scenario to prevent people from getting stranded because the GOM said they can go farther than they actually can. It tends to be more conservative for this very reason; Ford has been underpromising and overdelivering on the Mach E. While that confounds newbies, doing a little research results in recognizing the issue and not being alarmed by it. By contrast Tesla overestimates their range on their GOM in all conditions; see plenty of actual "real world" driving tests by insideevs, alexonautos, edmunds, etc.
  2. ICE engines are only 30% to 40% efficient, with the majority of energy being lost as heat. In winter that is an advantage because the heat that would otherwise be wasted is used to heat the cabin. BEV's are by contrast 95% efficient with minimal energy lost as heat. In the winter the car has to use extra energy to heat the cabin. That is why they tell you to use the seat and steering wheel heaters instead of heating the cabin if you can, because there is a lot less to heat up. The chemistry of Li-ion batteries is to blame as well: the liquid electrolyte loses viscosity (and thus potency) as temps drop well below freezing. At 30 to 40 degrees F it is minimal, but once you get down to around zero or below it becomes an issue. The 2 factors (no waste heat and chemistry) combine for some loss (10% to 20%) in range once it gets down to freezing or below. Therefore in really cold (-30 degree) temps like in Alaska the car's actual range does drop by 40% to 50%. In more reasonable climates (20 degree temps) effective range drops by 20% to 30%.
  3. EVERY BEV experiences this issue right now; it is not unique to Ford. That is one of the reasons they are all investing so heavily in solid state batteries: "dry" batteries do not experience the issue with the electrolyte in cold weather.
There is also a thread here with lots of discussion:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ulate-how-far-your-mach-e-can-really-go.6104/

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
When solid state batteries become available can the lithium battery in the Mach-e be replaced with SS?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Short answer - ignore the GOM! ?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
You think thatā€™s bad? My 69 Mach 1 is averaging 8 mpg.

I tried to plug it into my wall charger but couldnā€™t find an adapter. Am I doing something wrong?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You think thatā€™s bad? My 69 Mach 1 is averaging 8 mpg.

I tried to plug it into my wall charger but couldnā€™t find an adapter. Am I doing something wrong?
I know better than to check the mileage on my ā€˜65!

Eagertrader

First Name
Norberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e GT
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
ā€œItā€™s a plane! Itā€™s a rocket! No, itā€™s a Mach-e GT!!ā€

Lotsa fun to drive, makes me feel 20 all over again. Though ā€œyou be careful out thereā€¦ā€

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Got my Mach e GT before Christmas and target range was 228 miles. Temperature in low 50ā€™s. Now temperatures are in in the 30s and low 40s and target range is 181. Sucks!! But I still love the car.
By the way, I am getting much better than 181 miles of range if I drive the right way and use minimal heat. The GOM is way too pessimistic. Since you also live in VA, I am willing to bet your real range is better than the GOM is showing as well.

My calculated range based on my actual driving for the entire month of December is 241 miles. That includes highway and city driving, and Virginia December temperatures. My GOM is showing me something similar to yours, yet I am actually getting 241 miles. Your GOM could be correct if you crank the heat, floor it at every stoplight, and drive 80 mph on the highway. But probably it isn't. And I am definitely pushing the go pedal to the floor here and there, so I am not always behaving like a responsible adult. ;-)
Sponsored