Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No heat issue at all in SoCal. Glass roof gets warm to the touch (outside), but the heat does not transfer through to the inside of the vehicle. Just makes it light and airy feeling!
Agreed. Even on hot Sumer days here in MD, I feel the heat through the side windows, not the roof.
Sponsored

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No heat issue at all in SoCal. Glass roof gets warm to the touch (outside), but the heat does not transfer through to the inside of the vehicle. Just makes it light and airy feeling!
I must have missed the “Low Emessivity” box on my MME order. In bright sunshine, my glass gets hot to the touch on the inside.

Reactions: abr

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
I must have missed the “Low Emessivity” box on my MME order. In bright sunshine, my glass gets hot to the touch on the inside.
Bob - but how hot was it outside in PD? 120? Pre-conditioning is really important in a summer desert environment as the Arizona people have stated. In "normal" summer heat, I haven't found the glass roof to be a hindrance compared to my prior steel roof vehicles.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Bob - but how hot was it outside in PD? 120? Pre-conditioning is really important in a summer desert environment as the Arizona people have stated. In "normal" summer heat, I haven't found the glass roof to be a hindrance compared to my prior steel roof vehicles.

The first time I checked it was coming out of a restaurant in San Diego. It was 79 degrees. The car had been sitting in the sun for about an hour. VERY hot to the touch. You’re right about summer in the desert. Regardless how much you pre cool the car before leaving the garage, the roof glass will quickly become untouchable.

Ambient air temperature will undoubtedly impact the sun’s effect on this roof. Without doubt, a bright sunny day in Minnesota in January will not result in glass too hot to touch, but no one thinking about buying a MME should believe that these roofs will remain cool under all circumstances.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The first time I checked it was coming out of a restaurant in San Diego. It was 79 degrees. The car had been sitting in the sun for about an hour. VERY hot to the touch. You’re right about summer in the desert. Regardless how much you pre cool the car before leaving the garage, the roof glass will quickly become untouchable.

Ambient air temperature will undoubtedly impact the sun’s effect on this roof. Without doubt, a bright sunny day in Minnesota in January will not result in glass too hot to touch, but no one thinking about buying a MME should believe that these roofs will remain cool under all circumstances.
If it is hot outside, the inside surface will also be HOT!

If you hold you have an inch ot two below the glass roof it will not be hot at all. The roof does a great job of not radiating the heat into the car.

My car was in the direct sun in 118 F for several hours and the inside never got unpleasantly hot. There was no heat coming from the roof into the car. All of the heat was coming from the windscreen and the side windows. The AC was easily able to maintain 68 F with no issues.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Today it was about 83 in San Diego, first day I've taken the car out since I bought it Friday night. I could put my hand up by the glass and feel the radiating heat coming off it, and it was not even that hot or really even sunny today.

That said, I keep my head shaved and I'm 6'4" and did not feel any heat on my head per say. But given the amount of radiating heat coming off the glass its for sure getting into the cabin. It is $$$$$ to tint that roof though, the cover might be a better option for SoCal hot summers. Keep it in July-September/October time frame and then pop it out November-June.

I'm going to be taking it into the shop next week to get an estimate on getting the lower windows tinted. I have the California Route 1 and the back tint is pretty decent, but I want it a tad darker and then get some ceramic tint on those side front windows.

Elduke

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E I wish
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
I believe that is what the existing low emissivity glass does. Of course, you can add a film if you want to amp up the effect over what Ford has done. I'd recommend trying it first. Even folks in CA and AZ have been finding no issue with heat through the sun roof at Tour stops. It might be different if it were July, however.
I could speak for the sunroof in south Florida. I keep my mustang in the garage at home but at work I do not have an overhang to park it under so the heat is intense radiating from the top. I will be getting a tint done on the roof this weekend

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
I am surprised how well the super secret coating on the moonroof works to keep the inside pretty cool, even in the extreme heat here in AZ.
But the wife has to park outside at work, so she wanted the shade to help keep the interior surfaces from being in direct sunlight all the time.

So I ordered this sunshade that looks exactly like the one from Tesmanian, but is $43 less expensive. I should have it Thursday and will report back on how well it fits.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B098RQWDBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to return to Amazon if it turns out to be junk...

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I am surprised how well the super secret coating on the moonroof works to keep the inside pretty cool, even in the extreme heat here in AZ.
But the wife has to park outside at work, so she wanted the shade to help keep the interior surfaces from being in direct sunlight all the time.

So I ordered this sunshade that looks exactly like the one from Tesmanian, but is $43 less expensive. I should have it Thursday and will report back on how well it fits.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B098RQWDBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/GalaxyAutoSh...child=1&keywords=Mach+E&qid=1627423868&sr=8-1

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Elduke

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E I wish
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag

I agree in that the factory costing Ford puts on the roof of the Mach e is strong. I wanted to bolster the effects of negating the heat/uv radiation intrusion by getting a clear tint on the roof but I’ve read/been told by adding a tint to a moon roof you are making the moon roof susceptible to shattering…

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag

How do you like the new sunshade? I'm thinking of getting this one since I'm a little apprehensive about getting the Termanian one because of price.

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you like the new sunshade? I'm thinking of getting this one since I'm a little apprehensive about getting the Termanian one because of price.
The sunshade is good, and looks just like the pictures on Amazon.
Material quality is fine, It seems to be well enough made, and it is a good fit. The spring steel loop is more robust than I have seen on smaller spring windshield shades. It is easy enough to fold, and fits well in the bag that comes with it.
You do have to use some of the clips to hold it in place, but not all. They just slip under the headliner so nothing permanent, although I may use some double sided tape if we start to take the shade out and back in.
I put on the opaque and reflective liner too, and it would seem to be completely light blocking, but it was getting dark when I put it in on Thursday and only the wife drove it on Friday. The liner attaches with elastic straps on each corner, and it appears to be adequately stretched tight.
I need to look at it more closely, there may be a tiny bit of sag in the middle, which I can fix with some tape magnet I have if necessary. (It did not come with any attachment hardware but the clips.)
The wife reports that the interior, especially the upholstery, was significantly cooler inside when she left work than the day before without the shade.
If the Tesmanian one is of similar quality, then this one is priced more in line with what you get.
I am happy enough paying $56 for this $40 shade! LOL Part of the deal when you buy a first year model.