Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
As a longtime Subaru owner and fan - my other car is a 2020 Ascent and I’ve had 4 Subarus since 2014 - I expected the Solterra to be interesting competition for the MME. Heck, maybe I’d even swap out so I could get some extra ground clearance, which is important for my summer adventures. Subaru finally released the specs on the Solterra and it doesn’t look like the MME has any real competition. Approximately $53,300 after delivery for the only trim that is comparable to a SR premium - and it lacks several things that the SR premium offers. In addition, the range is virtually identical, there’s no front trunk, it’s smaller, and MUCH slower. Toyota’s version is basically the same as the Solterra and Toyota will be running out of the full tax credit in the near future. Looks like the MME is not just a better vehicle, but a much better value at this point as well. If that’s what $53,300 gets you, I think that probably increases the value of the MME. Just my thoughts on it though…I was expecting better from Subaru.

https://insideevs.com/news/581908/subaru-solterra-prices-epa-range/
Sponsored

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
The Subaru and Toyota pairing is weird to me. Subaru has always had the image of trying to do things better for the planet. Hippy cars, etc (sans the WRX). Toyota has proven time and time again that they don't believe in the electric car and have even lobbied against adoption of it.

The Solterra is a noble effort, but it also seems like its just checking boxes. I personally think its Pontiac Aztec levels of ugly, but aside from that, it's not that impressive to me, if I'm honest. Their largest range is what is standard for base model EVs now and the tech provided on the car doesn't seem that impressive, but I get that they were trying to have a cheaper entry vehicle and you have to cut costs somewhere. This car will fit someone's ideal purchase, but I personally don't like them much at all

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
I am a huge Subaru fan in general and was looking forward to their first EV. But I am disappointed by the first offerings from Subaru / Toyota. In addition to them being underpowered and with disappointing range, there is another huge problem and that is the charging curve. Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring just published a video in which he did a zero to 100% charging test of the Toyota version of this EV. It was absolutely dreadful, especially in the upper end of the curve:

OP
OP
Cm12

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I am a huge Subaru fan in general and was looking forward to their first EV. But I am disappointed by the first offerings from Subaru / Toyota. In addition to them being underpowered and with disappointing range, there is another huge problem and that is the charging curve. Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring just published a video in which he did a zero to 100% charging test of the Toyota version of this EV. It was absolutely dreadful, especially in the upper end of the curve:

They must be really, really concerned with battery life/maintenance or something. I wasn’t expecting a high-performance car out of those two companies’ partnership, but it seriously seems worse than the competition in almost every way except ground clearance. Smaller, much slower, no option for more than about 220ish miles of range, slow charging, horrific looking dash cluster (personal preference, but does anyone really like that awful Prius-like styling?), and all at about the same cost or higher than the competition? The pricing for the Subaru makes it the most expensive car they offer. Even the base is about the same as a fully-loaded Ascent touring. They’re definitely testing the brand loyalty concept at that price point for a sub-par car.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
Smaller, much slower, no option for more than about 220ish miles of range, slow charging, horrific looking dash cluster (personal preference, but does anyone really like that awful Prius-like styling?), and all at about the same cost or higher than the competition? The pricing for the Subaru makes it the most expensive car they offer. Even the base is about the same as a fully-loaded Ascent touring. They’re definitely testing the brand loyalty concept at that price point for a sub-par car.
Yeah, similar range and DC charging speed as a Bolt or Leaf Plus which came out in 2016 and 2019. They should have priced it less $40k. Loyalists will still buy it though.

strangeengine

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE (sold after 2mo - suspension sucks!)
Country flag
The Subaru and Toyota pairing is weird to me. Subaru has always had the image of trying to do things better for the planet. Hippy cars, etc (sans the WRX). Toyota has proven time and time again that they don't believe in the electric car and have even lobbied against adoption of it.
My guess is that the management of both companies felt like the FRS/BRZ joint project worked out well so why not try it again?