silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
With all the quality issues Tesla has its a wonder their still selling them. If Ford or any other manufacture turned out cars like these they would be crucified and loose sales. I hope Ford understands that the Mach E has to be extremely close to perfect.
There are certainly going to be issues with the MME but Ford is well aware of the scrutiny they're under, especially after the Explorer disaster. Beyond the initial quality it's also how Ford addresses any problems in the cars already delivered and eliminating them going forward that is the difference.

For the flak that Tesla gets for their build quality, they eventually figure it out. A 2020 Model S/3/X is generally better in build quality than a 2018 example.

I see this tesla tech and is years ahead brought up all the time, and apart from the supercharger network there is noting that they have that anybody else can't do.
This is a topic I really enjoy and it was a great discussion a few months back about if Tesla is really 7 years ahead of everybody else.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
With all the quality issues Tesla has its a wonder their still selling them. If Ford or any other manufacture turned out cars like these they would be crucified and loose sales. I hope Ford understands that the Mach E has to be extremely close to perfect.
Ford is definitely held to a higher standard I think.

Deleted member 367

Agreed, and from the email he sent Elon agrees with you too. I'm probably fortunate, I don't really know. I think the paint issues are going to continue as long as they paint cars in California. That said, my paint is as good as anything I've seen on any factory car. Others are absolutely having issues though. What the percentage is bad to good I don't think we can know other than it's high enough that Elon is upset about it. So too high.

I'll be taking a close look at the E when it comes out. I'm not married to the Y or Tesla. But Ford is going to have to step it up over what I'm seeing in the wild. The "Ruby Red E In the Wild" thread on here has left me very underwhelmed with the brakes and tires.

Your range degradation isn't necessarily battery degradation. The only way to check that accurately is charge it to full and then run it down to 10% Look at the Kwh used and multiply by 1.1. That will give you battery capacity minus whatever unknown safety margin Tesla includes. The range estimation includes changes in estimated efficiency. Environmental conditions like wet roads can have an impact on that number over time. Mine goes up and down all the time.
<<I think the paint issues are going to continue as long as they paint cars in California. >>
Say what?

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
<<I think the paint issues are going to continue as long as they paint cars in California. >>
Say what?
I wondered about this one to. I think the Tesla paint issues are because of their paint formula, not the facility. The paint shop was fitted about 2012 and has the latest equipment.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Say what?
From what I've read before on this, CA has more strict environmental requirements that cause them to not be able to do something that would allow the painting process to be better.

No idea if that's true or what the exact change is .. just what I've heard as the explanation for that statement in the past.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
From what I've read before on this, CA has more strict environmental requirements that cause them to not be able to do something that would allow the painting process to be better.

No idea if that's true or what the exact change is .. just what I've heard as the explanation for that statement in the past.
Pretty sure this is not true. For awhile they were painting cars at the Sparks installation. Nevada really has very lax environmental laws (I mean we dump nuke waste there). I think Tesla just has a terrible paint process (often done in tents) and low quality.

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag

Based on that, you would expect places like Germany, that also have strict environmental laws, to produce lousy paint jobs also. I don't believe that is the case.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Tesla clearly has a problem with quality control. I feel bad for the service employees being asked to fix these things and for customers who have to reject the delivery.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Model Y Quality Issues Aplenty 65apsu4isk651

If my First Edition arrives looking like that I'll be PISSED.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Tesla clearly has a problem with quality control. I feel bad for the service employees being asked to fix these things and for customers who have to reject the delivery.

I've seen some bad fit and finish, but that looks like Yugo quality control. How could those possibly have been missed and shipped out? It's one thing to have a few paint blemishes, but that is absurd.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I can't speak to your GTO, but the videos show some pretty basic quality issues that are not "fine tooth comb". The hatchback lid not closing, the rear seats not folding down right or back up right, seats not being attached, seat belts not being attached... those are not "fine tooth comb" things. At least not to me. I wouldn't accept any of that on a $30K crossover, let alone a $60K one.
Absolutely. "Fine tooth comb" for Sullins' 68 thousand dollar Model Y? Anybody outside the Cult of Tesla, if it were 'an Evil "Legacy" Carmaker' and had those issues, the company would be torn apart. But since a couple of their Sacraments is to 'never speak ill of the brand or its Leader', these factory issues get lumped in with 'fine tooth comb' issues.
But in reality all the issues that Sullins and the Shaw guy detailed at literally par for the course or 'baked in to any new Tesla', some are better, some are worse, but over all, if it were any other company, the SJWs, and the Social Media Cancel Culture Club would be looking to shut such a shoddy company down.

And I also tend to agree with the comment earlier about the paint, "as long as they paint cars in California" they're gonna have these issues. It's no doubt a ridiculous State Regulation that dictates the way paint can be mixed and used on cars... and I am sure there are Federal Regs too but if you look at Tesla in Fremont to Legacies in Michigan (you know the 'graveyard of Legacy Carmakers and their Evil ICE Earth Killers') the last time one of those car makers had an issue with paint was the 90s, when all of the Big Three had horrible clear coat issues (due to ridiculous Federal Mandates), but those Evil Legacy Makers, know how to make paint that can go through tough Midwestern and North East Winters, rock salt and all!

It's just laughable to hear 'fine tooth comb' for a 68 thousand dollar investment and heck, having the rear hatch latch not work... that's just freaking cute... I mean it's a Tesla!
Just think if Ford has a Mach-E hatch fly open, the Cult Members will be quick say, "see, Big Legacy Makers take your business for granted and just put out crap they know people will buy, unlike Telsa who does the same thing but we don't care because we're in a cult and are trying to save the planet."

Complete Garbage. And for me who is in Central PA, if I would have bought a Model 3 or Y (which I was on the Rezzy List for), I can only imagine the horrible time I would have had getting any number of these things fixed, seeing that I live 3.5 hours away from Philly and the nearest service Center... and I can only imagine the Mobile Service Units (which of course would 'Save the Day' because "Legacies Don't Have Cool Mobile Services" like Tesla does) wouldn't know the first dang thing about any of those issues, leaving my 68k Family Hauler to just "Trust In Elon" and hope my kids don't fly out the back hatch... but the "Legacies" are the evil ones...

#EndRant

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
And the Y was delivered 6 months early too. They probably should’ve spent that extra time addressing stuff like this.

Would it be silly to speculate that the decision to bring it to market earlier was to try get the jump on the likes of the MME and others coming out this year?
Sponsored