My first Roadtrip. Is your GOM accurate?

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE4X Prem, 2020 GRSupra, 2016 Corvette Z51
Country flag
Disappointed the range estimate is not more accurate. Why can't it calculate the range based on your efficiency just like I had to do manually?

Sponsored

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Disappointed the range estimate is not more accurate. Why can it calculate the range based on your efficiency just like I had to do manually?

You and the car answered your question:

Speed.

Efficiency goes down significantly significantly when you go faster.

Iā€™m assuming you meant to say ā€œwhy canā€™tā€¦..ā€

The range GOM is constantly updating as you go, but it canā€™t predict the futureā€¦ā€¦..

OP
OP
CarGuy11

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You and the car answered your question:

Speed.

Efficiency goes down significantly significantly when you go faster.

Iā€™m assuming you meant to say ā€œwhy canā€™tā€¦..ā€

The range GOM is constantly updating as you go, but it canā€™t predict the futureā€¦ā€¦..
Yes understood highway speed is less efficient but why can't it use past driving history over 300 miles and see my efficiency is about 2.8 mi/kwh and calculate it from there. I rather have it under estimate my range than over estimate it.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
The Chevy Bolt has probably the best Guess O Meter implementation of any EV.

I don't know why every other EV maker hasn't copied their implementation. I hope that GM included the same info on their newer EV.

You get a high, middle, and low range listed and trend bars letting you know which direction you are currently trending.

It is constantly adjusted based on the last 50 miles of driving accounting for speed, terrain, weather. In real time you can see how much the range is affected by the HVAC. If you turn it off the numbers will rise within a few seconds to show the positive impact to the range. If you turn HVAC on it will show the negative impact.

You have a good approximation displayed at all times to know if you can speed up a little bit and still make it to your destination or if you must slow down to make your destination without needing a DCFC session.

It does not take into account future terrain, just past terrain. So if you are on level ground but will have a huge hill, either up or down, in the near future the numbers are useless but as long as your terrain is somewhat consistent the GOM is way more accurate than any other EV GOM.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Iā€™ve done a few trips from Seattle to Vancouver BC last summer. It was spot on.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Every thread you start is a video...

OP
OP
CarGuy11

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Iā€™ve done a few trips from Seattle to Vancouver BC last summer. It was spot on.
I believe after the recent update for GOM accuracy it actually has gotten worse.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yes understood highway speed is less efficient but why can't it use past driving history over 300 miles and see my efficiency is about 2.8 mi/kwh and calculate it from there. I rather have it under estimate my range than over estimate it.
Thatā€™s kinda what it does- use your recent driving history and then combine that with other factors (exterior temp for example) and use the data to come up with an estimated range.

But no matter what method it used, itā€™s not likely to predict that youā€™re about to do a long trip at speeds above the limit.

You want it to predict low, but most of the time it actually does predict lowā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.. then we end up with dozens of threads posted here about ā€œwhy is my GOM so low?ā€

Seems nobody is happy no matter how itā€™s estimated.

OP
OP
CarGuy11

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thatā€™s kinda what it does- use your recent driving history and then combine that with other factors (exterior temp for example) and use the data to come up with an estimated range.

But no matter what method it used, itā€™s not likely to predict that youā€™re about to do a long trip at speeds above the limit.

You want it to predict low, but most of the time it actually does predict lowā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.. then we end up with dozens of threads posted here about ā€œwhy is my GOM so low?ā€

Seems nobody is happy no matter how itā€™s estimated.
Understood but after driving 200+ miles why wouldn't it? So it predicts low and adds miles. That would be way better than over estimating range when you are driving on a trip with limited charging stations.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Understood but after driving 200+ miles why wouldn't it? So it predicts low and adds miles. That would be way better than over estimating range when you are driving on a trip with limited charging stations.
The only time I have seen it over estimate the range is when I am driving much faster than the speed limit. Otherwise, and even then, it does adjust as I am driving, with the battery charge at destination changing based on how I am driving.
Sponsored