ATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Trans Am, 2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
It's against code to have a 60A breaker protecting a 50A outlet. My MME only draws 46A max (10.8KW) even thought the EVSE can supply 48A. It's the limitation of the MME's internal charging hardware as indicated in the specs. A breaker should handle it's rating (50A) indefinitely.
The real hazard here is time and complacency. If everything is done perfectly using best practice and top grade equipment and materials, then it may perform well...for now. Keep up your vigilance, though, to be certain you catch any degradation in performance leading to overheating and/or pending failure of the outlet. This will be the biggest risk of pushing the rules and ratings to their limits every time you charge. Even that industrial grade outlet will eventually relax its contact pressure, potentiality resulting in increased contact resistance and resultant heat buildup.
Sponsored

FinallyGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium EAWD
Country flag
Mach e charger is 7 months old and is toast! Ford dealer has no idea when they will have a new one since they’re on back order! Problem solved , just shell out a grand for an aftermarket one ! Just a heads up😁
Good news if you live in Massachusetts, there is a state sponsored or supported green program that qualifies MME owners (any BEV) a free charger. It’s the juice box 40A, with tax it would cost just under $700 if you buy without the program. I filled out the paperwork, submitted it, received approval and they sent me a code that I used on the manufacturers website (selecting the exact plug type that I wanted). Shipped quickly, installation was a breeze (physically) a little challenging for the app but ENEL resolved some server issues quickly and it works perfectly! Took a total of 2 weeks from the time I heard about the offer until the unit was installed charging our car. And, our electric company takes $10 off our monthly bill as well. So far (tonight will be the 3rd night of operation), so good!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Good news if you live in Massachusetts, there is a state sponsored or supported green program that qualifies MME owners (any BEV) a free charger. It’s the juice box 40A, with tax it would cost just under $700 if you buy without the program. I filled out the paperwork, submitted it, received approval and they sent me a code that I used on the manufacturers website (selecting the exact plug type that I wanted). Shipped quickly, installation was a breeze (physically) a little challenging for the app but ENEL resolved some server issues quickly and it works perfectly! Took a total of 2 weeks from the time I heard about the offer until the unit was installed charging our car. And, our electric company takes $10 off our monthly bill as well. So far (tonight will be the 3rd night of operation), so good!
Government subsidizing the rich. What a waste of your tax money.

FinallyGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium EAWD
Country flag
Government subsidizing the rich. What a waste of your tax money.
Very funny! Ha!! But, not at all. This is an example of tax dollars well spent to support responsible energy usage, with a claw back provision if the recipient doesn't follow the rules. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Virginia has a rebate program ($40 a year if you have level 2), but nothing to encourage purchasing or using a level 2 charger that is restricted to off peak hours charging. And, you don't get the yearly rebate if you already participate in an off peak hours program! Meaning, you can only get hard earned tax dollars for irresponsible energy usage (charging + overall household usage during peak hours that probably burns more fossil fuel to generate the power)!! Hmmm... Virginia's program seems like a true waste of your tax money, subsidizing the truly rich power company executives by rewarding non participation in green off peak hours programs.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Very funny! Ha!! But, not at all. This is an example of tax dollars well spent to support responsible energy usage, with a claw back provision if the recipient doesn't follow the rules. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Virginia has a rebate program ($40 a year if you have level 2), but nothing to encourage purchasing or using a level 2 charger that is restricted to off peak hours charging. And, you don't get the yearly rebate if you already participate in an off peak hours program! Meaning, you can only get hard earned tax dollars for irresponsible energy usage (charging + overall household usage during peak hours that probably burns more fossil fuel to generate the power)!! Hmmm... Virginia's program seems like a true waste of your tax money, subsidizing the truly rich power company executives by rewarding non participation in green off peak hours programs.
Good luck with the Juicebox. I am waiting for my third unit.

1st one plug got to 133 degrees- make sure you monitor yours
2nd one (refurbished)likes to shut itself down every now and then and restarts on its own but at least the plug was cool to the touch
3rd one , I am waiting for this gem to arrive

Mach-E-The1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium ER RWD, BMW M5
Country flag
I have a new unused Grizzle-E Avalanche Edition NEMA 14-50 (for a reasonable price of course) if anyone in the Central Florida area needs it. Bought two and installed one inside my garage for MY22. My plan was to install the second one outside of the garage so family and friends can use when they visit. However, my HOA disagreed.

Last edited:

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
Sorry, but I just don’t understand this logic.

It’s called that because it’s not hardwired and is portable, but also comes with a permanent mount you screw into the wall

It’s the only charger that comes with the car.

Ford recommends charging at home for battery longevity.

Which part makes you think Ford recommends you buy an aftermarket charger?

If this was supposed to be treated like a spare tire, it would be labeled and described as such in the owners manual

kinda like how every car with a spare tire is described.

People buy the aftermarket ones because they’re better. But the intention never seems like this was supposed to be the “spare.”

Here is their details on it, literally nothing that says temporary, short term, or spare.

https://www.ford.com/ntzlibs/conten...specs-sheet/Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_FINAL.pdf

The reason they give for a better charger? To “maximize speed.”
https://www.ford.com/mustang/ev-charging/mache/
Ford never says the included 'mobile' charger is for everyday use. Anywhere. I'd say the reason to get a better charger is so you don't have nothing when the Ford 'Mobile' charger breaks on you. The failure rate is extremely high. There are enough failure threads on this, Reddit, and multiple other forums. Everything you said here means literally nothing with the overwhelming evidence the 'Mobile' charger isn't for everyday use (regardless of words not specifically on paper in a manner which makes the use 100% definitive other than the word 'mobile'). The Ford Owners Manual never calls it a 'Home', 'Permanent' , 'Daily', Charger. I don't assume the tire repair kit makes the tire 100% good as new either. I can read into the word 'repair' and understand its not a permanent fix. But you do you.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I’ve been using my mobile charger exclusively since I got the car over two years ago. I don’t use it every day - maybe once a week or so, and I take it on the road for long trips. It hasn’t failed and, I think, most of them haven’t completely failed, they just start slowing down with the intermittent amber light. Mine is also mounted on the wall with the included mounting bracket. I DO have an appointment in a couple weeks to try and get it replaced under warranty due to the amber light issue, but it keeps on working. If it quits, I’ll go to that magical Amazon place and order a replacement which will mysteriously show up on my front porch tomorrow if need be. If they didn’t want you to use it, there should be some warning like “no step” or “use only in case of emergency,” right? If they don’t tell you that you can’t do it, then it must be ok (Navy rules.)

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Ford never says the included 'mobile' charger is for everyday use. Anywhere. I'd say the reason to get a better charger is so you don't have nothing when the Ford 'Mobile' charger breaks on you. The failure rate is extremely high. There are enough failure threads on this, Reddit, and multiple other forums. Everything you said here means literally nothing with the overwhelming evidence the 'Mobile' charger isn't for everyday use (regardless of words not specifically on paper in a manner which makes the use 100% definitive other than the word 'mobile'). The Ford Owners Manual never calls it a 'Home', 'Permanent' , 'Daily', Charger. I don't assume the tire repair kit makes the tire 100% good as new either. I can read into the word 'repair' and understand its not a permanent fix. But you do you.
I get what you’re saying. But you are the one making assumptions, not me.

Anything that car manufacturers intent to be temporary, emergency use or part time use only, they specifically state that to be the case.

Everything else? Use all the time.

The charger sucks. But it’s isn’t a “temporary or emergency use only” charger.

How do I know that for absolute certain?

I use it every day, and if it breaks? Ford replaces it under warranty.

If I were abusing it or not using it as intended- that would be a denied warranty claim.

There is one thing we CAN agree on-

This is my car I drive to work every Friday-

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Mach-E charger is toast after 7 months IMG_1102

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag

Anything that car manufacturers intent to be temporary, emergency use or part time use only, they specifically state that to be the case.

If I were abusing it or not using it as intended- that would be a denied warranty claim.
It is included with the car and has a Ford label on it and electricity is required to use the car so what other use case can be expected for the EVSE?
Ours failed and I had to push to get it replaced but the dealership did get it replaced after a few weeks of back and forth.
If they don't include an EVSE then that is a different story.
With one year of ownership and 2 chargers, I plan on using the EVSE as much as required to operate the car for our normal use until it fails out of warranty.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag

There is one thing we CAN agree on-

This is my car I drive to work every Friday-

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Ford Mach-E charger is toast after 7 months IMG_1102
NICE! Mine is the black one in my Avatar. However, my door code is your colors with the red interior. I decided to go black after some Jackwagon hit it on purpose with a construction dump truck while trying to commit suicide. I pulled the car out of my garage and put it in front of the house while I ate a bowl of cereal right before I was taking to the appraiser. I literally plugged the last wire from my restoration in the day before.