My new extended AWD Mach-E's range is significantly lower than the advertised range

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There’s some differences between SR AWD and ER AWD. The SR will get higher efficiency with same conditions for two main reasons, weight of additional packs decreases net efficiency. Also the SR has a smaller motor in the front that is more efficient then the ER.

My consumption in summer for my ER AWD is 3.2-4.1 on average and winter is about 2.2-3.1. So it seems like you’re in the same general range as typical for highway driving in cooler weather for an ER AWD.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
There’s some differences between SR AWD and ER AWD. The SR will get higher efficiency with same conditions for two main reasons, weight of additional packs decreases net efficiency. Also the SR has a smaller motor in the front that is more efficient then the ER.

My consumption in summer for my ER AWD is 3.2-4.1 on average and winter is about 2.2-3.1. So it seems like you’re in the same general range as typical for highway driving in cooler weather for an ER AWD.
just fyi - Ford only makes two electric motors for the MME.

1 Big motor (used in the rear of all of our cars and the front motor in the GTs)
2 Small motor (used in the front of the non GT AWD cars)

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
just fyi - Ford only makes two electric motors for the MME.

1 Big motor (used in the rear of all of our cars and the front motor in the GTs)
2 Small motor (used in the front of the non GT AWD cars)
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...uct/2022/mach-e/pdf/MACH-E-specs-08252022.pdf

SR AWD has less power and different motor configuration than ER AWD. ER AWED has small motor up front big motor in the rear. SR AWD has two small motors. An SR AWD with the same motors/power output would be significantly faster (0-60) than an ER AWD because of the 300 less pounds of battery.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/mach-e/pdf/MACH-E-specs-08252022.pdf

SR AWD has less power and different motor configuration than ER AWD. ER AWED has small motor up front big motor in the rear. SR AWD has two small motors. An SR AWD with the same motors/power output would be significantly faster (0-60) than an ER AWD because of the 300 less pounds of battery.
the only difference is that the SR is current limited via the motor controller because the SR uses a 3P pack and the ER uses a 4P pack

there are only two ford Mach e electric motors.

8 minutes 55 seconds in the video.

Last edited:

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
That’s absolutely incredible. In 30s I never average more than 2 miles per kWh and it’s usually closer to 1.7 miles per kWh. And that’s driving relatively conservatively. I don’t precondition at all though - do you? Heck, I can’t average 3.5 miles per kWh in perfect weather.
First thing working to my advantage is that my car is much less fun than yours! Some trips are much better than others. Here’s a recent example:

83980D37-61A1-4C69-9DA4-2DFC6EC67037.png
58142E17-D892-4175-972A-282830BA6799.png

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That’s not true. Yes, the SR has less horsepower, but as @Blue highway said, that’s because of current limiting, not a different motor configuration.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have just exchanged my standard AWD for an extended AWD, however I have noticed that the current vehicles range is significantly lower than the advertised range and in fact according to the trip computer the average usage is between 1.8 and 2.5 kwh when the standard vehicle was giving me up to 3.3 kwh, why is this so much lower, when I am not doing anything different to before. Your comments would be appreciated.
You have an honest question and we should give you our honest opinions.

I suspect the difference you are seeing is due to the weather. Of course, I don't know anything about how you drive the car, but I know that if I put my car on "Auto" climate control when it is relatively warm, say 50 F, my efficiency is pretty bad. It is turning on the E-Heat to keep the cabin at my set temperature of 71 degrees.

(To keep my man card intact, I will say I often drive at much colder temperatures with no climate control on at all. I do that on trips to maximize range. I am not a pansy. 😂 )

You should do an experiment. Turn off your climate control and drive around without using any E-Heat or A/C. See what your efficiency is then. I bet you will see it go back to what you saw before.

The standard range AWD is a little more efficient, but I don't think you would be able to tell the difference via normal driving. So I am betting it is E-Heat and your climate control settings. Test it and let us know!

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
That’s not true. Yes, the SR has less horsepower, but as @Blue highway said, that’s because of current limiting, not a different motor configuration.
So what you and @Blue highway are saying in different words is the SR has a different motor config (ie different inverter mounted to the same stator, or at the very least software derating, that produces less power) and is more efficient than the ER… 🤨

I think your both hung up on my phrasing of calling it a “bigger motor”. I never said there was more than two, just multiple configurations. Your motors physical size are just as big as the ER (probably 😅).

OP
OP
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Company Director
Country flag
Reset your trip energy incase you had a bad start, but in general winter is here now and range is greatly effected by even cool temps and climate usage.
Have the 2022 AWD extended range been changed, as the only way of heating the car is with E-HEAT, I do not remember having this problem with the 2021 AWD standard range Mach-E, Does anyone know.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Have the 2022 AWD extended range been changed, as the only way of heating the car is with E-HEAT, I do not remember having this problem with the 2021 AWD standard range Mach-E, Does anyone know.
There have been a lot of complaints about poor heat when it gets very cold outside, and recently there was an OTA released that made some changes to address that. I have not received the OTA yet, and I am betting your 2022 doesn't have it either, although it might.

There have been a lot of software module updates in general since early 2021 production, so it is possible your suspicion is correct. However, I have not personally seen any efficiency changes after updates, and my car was fully up to date as of a couple months ago.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No.

The HVAC update is for when it's -5F or below.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So what you and @Blue highway are saying in different words is the SR has a different motor config (ie different inverter mounted to the same stator, or at the very least software derating, that produces less power) and is more efficient than the ER… 🤨

I think your both hung up on my phrasing of calling it a “bigger motor”. I never said there was more than two, just multiple configurations. Your motors physical size are just as big as the ER (probably 😅).
The rear motor in the SR and ER is exactly the same part number. The same is true for the front motors between the two (non GT).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This morning it was 40 degrees. My GOM said I had 200 miles of range at 86%, for a 100% range guess of 230 miles.

In reality I drove 105 miles using 37% of the battery, half of it on the highway. That equates to roughly 3.1 mi/kwh - which would be an ACTUAL range of 273 miles.

Why are we still pretending that the guess-o-meter means anything?
Sponsored