Need a lesson in Electricity 101

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
So, clearly you have a decision regarding when you want to charge: direct use of your solar or cheapest energy. Just plan to plug in whenever you get home and use the programming to have the Mach E charge itself at the time you want.
I'm curious as to why direct use of solar matters? Its not like those "green electrons" are wasted they are just used by someone else -- assuming grid tie-in.

Seems like cheapest is the best.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm curious as to why direct use of solar matters? Its not like those "green electrons" are wasted they are just used by someone else -- assuming grid tie-in.

Seems like cheapest is the best.
I'm just leaving it up to @prius2pony to set his parameters for how he wants to use his solar.

If there is no financial benefit, using electricity at the source (your home system) reduces losses. Some electrical utilities have caps on reverse metering. Lot so of other reasons he may have. I'm just providing options, he needs to decide his priorities.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm just leaving it up to @prius2pony to set his parameters for how he wants to use his solar.

If there is no financial benefit, using electricity at the source (your home system) reduces losses. Some electrical utilities have caps on reverse metering. Lot so of other reasons he may have. I'm just providing options, he needs to decide his priorities.
Sure. As an owner of a solar system myself (no batteries). I was trying to make sure I wasn't missing something I should consider.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Some electrical utilities have caps on reverse metering.
And some utility companies have so much grid tie in that you can't sell power to them at all. That's the case in Hawaii. That'sm also why all my charging will be when my PVE system batteries are nearly full and the sun is still shining -- free charging.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And some utility companies have so much grid tie in that you can't sell power to them at all. That's the case in Hawaii. That'sm also why all my charging will be when my PVE system batteries are nearly full and the sun is still shining -- free charging.
That's true for places in Arizona as well. The value went away completely for my friend when they said he wouldn't be able to sell much. My area has no limit.

OP
OP
prius2pony

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
I have ordered an Extended Range Premium. I recently had solar panels installed on the roof. It is typical in these summer months for me to use 25-30 kWh, but to generate 40-50 kWh. I'm a retired, low-milage guy most of the time, and anticipate that at a 270 mile range, I'll only need to recharge once every 2-3 weeks. Can anyone explain to me how many kWh I will use to charge my Extended Range Premium from near-empty to the 80% capacity?
Also- Is the answer the same regardless of Whether I do so from a Level 1 Charger (120v/12amp for 95 hours), a Level 2 charger (240v/32amp 14 hours), or a Level 2 Ford Connected Charge Station (240v/48amp for 10 hours)* These stats are from the brochure for an "Ext Range RWD"- would these charge times be different because my car is AWD?
Lastly, Do I need to drain the battery pretty low before recharging, or can I "top it off" more frequently?
I reallly appreciate all the helpful input here!
My utility does not differentiate cost rates through the day; I figure I'm making good use of my surplus generation by using that daytime surplus to charge my EV. That way, I'm charging with clean energy rather than coal/nuclear. (Yes, I get that someone else on the grid will be placed in the opposite mode by my action.) Hence, yes, I'll try to set timings to do some charging between about 10am-3pm.
My electrician says he can install a 240 outlet at 35 or 40 amps. Based on Timbop's info, I will probably need to spread the charge out across a couple of days. It takes me 3-4 weeks to drain my Prius tank (400mi).

So, I'd love further feedback on this idea:
What if I let my Mach-e drain from 80% down to 20% over however many days it takes, then I progam a time-constrained charge (240/40amp) to occur for the 3 days [or whatever] it takes to work me back to 80%; then repeat that cycle.
Sounds like that's better than plugging in every day and keeping it between 75-80%, right?

If I have a sudden need to get a quick, full charge, there's a Walgreens 3 blocks from home with a couple of EV chargers (I don't know their type; just assuming they'd be compatable) and maybe have a 45-min latte at the next-door SB while I wait. Thoughts, friends?

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I reallly appreciate all the helpful input here!
My utility does not differentiate cost rates through the day; I figure I'm making good use of my surplus generation by using that daytime surplus to charge my EV. That way, I'm charging with clean energy rather than coal/nuclear. (Yes, I get that someone else on the grid will be placed in the opposite mode by my action.) Hence, yes, I'll try to set timings to do some charging between about 10am-3pm.
My electrician says he can install a 240 outlet at 35 or 40 amps. Based on Timbop's info, I will probably need to spread the charge out across a couple of days. It takes me 3-4 weeks to drain my Prius tank (400mi).

What if I let my Mach-e drain from 80% down to 20% over however many days it takes, then I progam a time-constrained charge (240/40amp) to occur for the 3 days [or whatever] it takes to work me back to 80%; then repeat that cycle.
Sounds like that's better than plugging in every day and keeping it between 75-80%, right?

If I have a sudden need to get a quick, full charge, there's a Walgreens 3 blocks from home with a couple of EV chargers (I don't know their type; just assuming they'd be compatable). Thoghts, friends?
Makes sense, although check what kind of chargers the walgreens has - whether it is DCFC or level 2. You'll also need to get an EVSE that lets you change the current supplied (16A/24A/32A), or just plain get a 16A L2 charger.

OP
OP
prius2pony

prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
Makes sense, although check what kind of chargers the walgreens has - whether it is DCFC or level 2. You'll also need to get an EVSE that lets you change the current supplied (16A/24A/32A), or just plain get a 16A L2 charger.
Man, I've got some learnin' to do. I will [soon/later] check out those details. Thank you again!

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I use about 20% on my work commute, and use another 10% or so on sentry mode and cabin HVAC while parked.

I set my charge to reach 65% when I leave in the morning. At work it drifts past 50%. I get home with about 35%, and slowly charges back to 65%.

The goal in all this is to maintain an average of about 50% SOC for battery health. If I need to go somewhere else I’ll charge higher on a case by case basis.

Your situation is different in that you can likely only charge for free in the day. 20%-80% is also fine, but I’d recommend not going to 80% unless you know you’ll be driving soon. On the other hand, the battery carries a warranty, so maybe this is all just theoretical and not worth worrying about :)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I use about 20% on my work commute, and use another 10% or so on sentry mode and cabin HVAC while parked.

I set my charge to reach 65% when I leave in the morning. At work it drifts past 50%. I get home with about 35%, and slowly charges back to 65%.

The goal in all this is to maintain an average of about 50% SOC for battery health. If I need to go somewhere else I’ll charge higher on a case by case basis.

Your situation is different in that you can likely only charge for free in the day. 20%-80% is also fine, but I’d recommend not going to 80% unless you know you’ll be driving soon. On the other hand, the battery carries a warranty, so maybe this is all just theoretical and not worth worrying about :)
While we know the programmable charging on the MME can accommodate up to two start and end times each day, we don't know if you can program it to stop at a particular state of charge (SOC). I hope so but haven't seen that yet in any of the Sync4 screen captures or videos.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
While we know the programmable charging on the MME can accommodate up to two start and end times each day, we don't know if you can program it to stop at a particular state of charge (SOC). I hope so but haven't seen that yet in any of the Sync4 screen captures or videos.
Hopefully it will, but that would be something new for Ford as the Focus Electric didn't allow you to set the battery % to stop at (granted with such a short range you always wanted 100% LOL).

Of course if this is any indication then you can't when you setup the times--of course it doesn't mean you can't it only means that you can't at this screen (if it is reflective of what the final software will look like). Maybe you can after pressing "Next".
Ford Mustang Mach-E Need a lesson in Electricity 101 Annotation 2020-09-08 213312

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I love the idea of having the MME charge for an hour before I leave for work so the battery is warmed up a little.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
That would be a weird omission. Hopefully it is possible.
Leaf has this same ability to set charging times but no SOC settings.
Sponsored