John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Tesla has this and I think it would be great for Ford or Apple to allow it on CarPlay. I posted on Twitter.
Sponsored

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Tesla has this and I think it would be great for Ford or Apple to allow it on CarPlay. I posted on Twitter.
The one note I'd make is that Tesla has it integrated into the vehicle and that uses the vehicle's data plan - for people without unlimited data, the Tesla option may make it more appealing than requiring a brought-in device.

I know I can burn through $9.99/mo (cost of Tesla's Premium Connectivity) with Neflix alone on my phone if not on WiFi.

There's pros and cons to each way - allowing you to bring in a device (CarPlay/Android Auto) or releasing a Ford Sync 4 app for Netflix for a true tesla analogy.

Either way, the functionality is also helpful when there's a home internet outage - earlier this summer a storm took down the cable line in my neighborhood - I sat in the garage and watched YouTube and Netflix on the Model 3 for hours.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
I noticed that Tesla had a game that people played, but one issue was the tires moved while the game was playing. I would not want that to happen with my Mach E

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
If you jailbreak your iphone you can download a tweak called "Carplayenable" or "Carbridge" that will allow this.

But I suspect most people here won't do that.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Apple is never, in a quadrillion years, going to enable Netflix on Carplay

And even if they did, it would require changes on the car side, because the only way they'd ever even remotely contemplate it is if the car reported to the phone whether or not the car was in motion. Now, the Mach E will get OTA updates but there's no way to guarantee this would happen

TheStig

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GB Mach-E FE, 2023 Porsche GT4
Country flag
There is a hacky way to get Netflix to display on CarPlay that doesn't require jailbreaking (which isn't even available on the latest OS). You can buy something called a CarPlay AI box from aliexpress. It is a full android device that can display over CarPlay and you can install whatever apps you want on it.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
There is a hacky way to get Netflix to display on CarPlay that doesn't require jailbreaking (which isn't even available on the latest OS). You can buy something called a CarPlay AI box from aliexpress. It is a full android device that can display over CarPlay and you can install whatever apps you want on it.
Now that is not a terrible idea. I don't want to switch to Android for my phone, but having some kind of android device that I can boot up and connect over Android Auto or a gimpy third party implementation of CarPlay is well within my comfort zone. I wonder if there's a way to root an Android tablet to just get full mirroring working over Android Auto

JonathanEzor

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT, Taurus, C-MAX Energi, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Personally, when I'm sitting in my other cars waiting for things, I watch on my phone and use Bluetooth/Android Auto for the audio component. I would imagine that would work with the MME. {Jonathan}

Bookworm214

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium Mach-Ex
Occupation
Retired Truck Driver
Country flag
I have a radical device that I will be using during those rare times I'll be fast charging. It's called an Amazon Kindle! :cool: I can kill 40 minutes reading a good book standing on my head. And if I don't have my Kindle there's always the Kindle app on my phone.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Personally, when I'm sitting in my other cars waiting for things, I watch on my phone and use Bluetooth/Android Auto for the audio component. I would imagine that would work with the MME. {Jonathan}
That's exactly what I do when I don't feel like reading.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I noticed that Tesla had a game that people played, but one issue was the tires moved while the game was playing. I would not want that to happen with my Mach E
You can use controllers instead of the actual steering wheel in the Tesla (Xbox and Nintendo wired controllers are popular).
Sponsored