Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I did them all tonight, all ends well. I too used the General's module update order. But, everything has been a little buggy for me lately. Now don't get me wrong, Louiebluey always starts fine, and gets me where I need to go in great comfort and style. Also, I am so grateful that we get access access to FDRS to play Ford tech at home.

So, first I got that new FDRS low battery warning (while connected to the PL6100 100A charger) which was bogus. It might have been correct that my LVB soc was 61%, under the "required 80%", but who cares. Also, at first FDRS was not even showing the 12V bus voltage in the lower corner. Well, got past all that fine.

Then with USB updates, all goes fine to a point. FDRS loads up the USB fine, MME says hey, I got it, doing a USB update, shows update status page, then says success! But, then I never get the damn remove USB stick message easy. I mean eventually I do, but I don't know if it something I do with FDRS, leaving MME off, opening/closing doors, restarting FDRS, I just really don't get it. Eventually I turn something on, and I get remove USB, and then FDRS is happy and I move on. It might just be "time" and everything else I've done is mere busy stuff/coincidence, not sure.

So then, all done I do the clear all dtcs, test all routine. Orange the first time, as expected, second time, oh well, then always orange from something going on with SOBDMC, so I do a configuration, no joy, then I PMI the damn thing (Faux replacement, tell it old, then new module in), and all is well, and I've got all GREEN, Yea!

So, my iPhone connectivity has also been degrading over the last upgrades? months? First I lost Paak, kind of who cares, but more recently the only way to get car play is by plugging the lightning cable into USB, so I tackle that tonight as well. Cannot delete iPhone by the options in Sync, that says, well, delete iPhone; it does nothing. Long story short, I reset all FordPass (not Master Reset!), reinstalled FordPass, then started over and all is fine. I now have Paak back, as well as good wireless CarPlay connectivity.

So no major problems, and LOTs of fun, and I think (?) all is back to perfect operation, and I am now as Sync 421 too (or whatever the new number is, I am tired).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
Interesting…

Maybe it’s a good time to wait. They just unstuck 1.7.1 and did all the updates except HVAC.

I think I’ll wait to see if any updates come OTA. That way I know it’s finally working, and then see if BC shows up in the Connected Services

Thanks
I don't believe anyone has had problems with OTA updates after 1.7.1 is fixed one way or another... ours was a early APIM replacement. Soon after the APIM replacement we saw OTA updates and currently we are at 2.3.0 like most other non-EA owners.

FME

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD/EX
Country flag
I don't believe anyone has had problems with OTA updates after 1.7.1 is fixed one way or another... ours was a early APIM replacement. Soon after the APIM replacement we saw OTA updates and currently we are at 2.3.0 like most other non-EA owners.
Looks like they’re pushing out updates now. Can’t wait to get back and see if OTA will work. I left it with auto updates on.

I’m still not showing BC on my Connected Services. Hope it still works when I return.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Ok... Success! although a Master reset was involved in making it happy in the end, the 3 modules did the trick.

Sync version 421
All other modules are up to date

BC works nicely! which was the goal.

Special thanks to those at FOMOCO who worked behind the scenes, and all the help from those in the forum.

OP
OP

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Then with USB updates, all goes fine to a point. FDRS loads up the USB fine, MME says hey, I got it, doing a USB update, shows update status page, then says success! But, then I never get the damn remove USB stick message easy. I mean eventually I do, but I don't know if it something I do with FDRS, leaving MME off, opening/closing doors, restarting FDRS, I just really don't get it. Eventually I turn something on, and I get remove USB, and then FDRS is happy and I move on. It might just be "time" and everything else I've done is mere busy stuff/coincidence, not sure
Here’s the trick that works for me for the USB updates.
Key on, vehicle on, insert the USB.
after about 30 seconds you get the install update option.
Depending on update, 5-10 minute later you get a message that says Update Successful. Leave the USB in, key off and open door to power down the vehicle.
wait 30 seconds, key on vehicle on. Wait a few minutes for another prompt that it’s safe to remove USB.
Then press the button in FDRS that says it was successful and follow the rest of the prompts.

OP
OP

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What do you mean by Key On?
press the start button.
Key On is start button with without brake to go into accessory mode.
Key On Vehicle On is start button with Brake so that “Ready” appears on panel.

-----
edited my post because I messed up...

Last edited:

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
press the start button.
Key On is start button with brake to go into accessory mode.
Ahh ok.
So basically start it in accessory mode first, then power on to Ready.

OP
OP

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ahh ok.
So basically start it in accessory mode first, then power on to Ready.
Yes, I messed up my original post and it's been edited. It should have been:

press the start button.
Key On is start button with without brake to go into accessory mode.

OP
OP

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I do all of the updates in Ready mode without starting in Accessory mode.
I followed the prompts in FDRS. Most of the non-USB updates prompt you to be in accessory mode (Key on, engine off). The USB updates prompt for Ready mode (Key On, engine on). I have no idea if it makes a difference other than the instructions were probably written for ICE vehicles.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I followed the prompts in FDRS. Most of the non-USB updates prompt you to be in accessory mode (Key on, engine off). The USB updates prompt for Ready mode (Key On, engine on). I have no idea if it makes a difference other than the instructions were probably written for ICE vehicles.
Yup, it was definitely written for ICE vehicles. I'm following the directions in FDRS too, since there is definitely no engine running, even in Ready mode. :) I think the reasoning that they differentiate at all is to prevent unnecessary idling of an ICE engine when it's not required. But in an EV, it really doesn't matter.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Even though it was only about an hour, following FDRS instructions, I had those issues waiting for remove USB (all okay, including "succesful" up to that point each time). The other problem I had was after successful, FDRS kept saying FDRS cannot connect (I think to MME, next time I'll make sure it does not mean cannot connect to the Ford server. I'm pretty sure it meant FDRS to MME), offering to try again (which never worked) even though Mongoose looked happy with its flashing lights. Also, all except one time, FDRS said still connected too. Mongoose has a history of intermittent cables for roughly used units (mostly commercial shops), but I don't think that was a problem. So, that was why I restarted FDRS several times.

The other odd part is that right after the remove USB message (which I did eventually get each time), Mongoose was once again connected.

Next time, I will try to do a start - stop - door sequence once or twice and then just walk away for 5-10 minutes and see if the remove USB message just happens more slowly over time (despite anything else that is going on).

OP
OP

dfcliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The other problem I had was after successful, FDRS kept saying FDRS cannot connect (I think to MME, next time I'll make sure it does not mean cannot connect to the Ford server. I'm pretty sure it meant FDRS to MME), offering to try again (which never worked) even though Mongoose looked happy with its flashing lights. Also, all except one time, FDRS said still connected too. Mongoose has a history of intermittent cables for roughly used units (mostly commercial shops), but I don't think that was a problem. So, that was why I restarted FDRS several times.
If I remember correctly, there are lights at the bottom right corner of the FDRS screen that will tell you if it's connected to Ford servers, the vehicle, and maybe one other.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Anyone running this new Sync version and have Android, have you noticed if this enabled expanded screen for Android Auto?
Sponsored