New Indoor Electrify America station

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2024/02/07/elec...rst-indoor-ev-charging-station-to-the-public/

The new station is located in the SoMa neighborhood near the Bay Bridge and features 20 DC fast chargers capable of delivering up to 350 kW of power, depending on which EV you’re replenishing. Features include 24/7 access, monitoring, and security for Electrify America customers, as well as temperature-controlled lounges, vending, restrooms, and Wi-Fi.​

This is great. But I'm really wondering how long it'll survive. It says it's monitored, but doesn't look like it's staffed.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Indoor? But… How are they going to deal with the exhaust fumes? 🤪🐩

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2024/02/07/elec...rst-indoor-ev-charging-station-to-the-public/

The new station is located in the SoMa neighborhood near the Bay Bridge and features 20 DC fast chargers capable of delivering up to 350 kW of power, depending on which EV you’re replenishing. Features include 24/7 access, monitoring, and security for Electrify America customers, as well as temperature-controlled lounges, vending, restrooms, and Wi-Fi.​

This is great. But I'm really wondering how long it'll survive. It says it's monitored, but doesn't look like it's staffed.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't survive. The 16th and mission EVGo site is doing fine, and it's in likely a sketchier area, depending on exactly which block the EA station is on. 20 fast chargers is huge, I don't know of any other EA stations with that kind of size. Long overdue!

OP
OP
leehinde

leehinde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I'm not sure why it wouldn't survive. The 16th and mission EVGo site is doing fine, and it's in likely a sketchier area, depending on exactly which block the EA station is on. 20 fast chargers is huge, I don't know of any other EA stations with that kind of size. Long overdue!
I looked up that EVGo station. The difference between it and the new EA station is that it's outdoors. The EA stations are in a building. which I think will be attractive to all sorts of folks wanting to stay dry..

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag

It will last for a long while. Tesla does this at some of their stations on the highway. They have bathrooms, snack machines, etc up and down the 5 Freeway.

RagingDork

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT Dark Matter Grey
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They probably just have security company monitoring the cameras. Should put a cafe or something there.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Interesting. That would be a mess up north because of all the snow and slush the cars would track in. It could get noisy inside with all the fans, pumps, and A/C compressors running for DC charging. And potentially scary if thieves try to block the exists and then rob everyone inside.

I hope ICE vehicles don't try to drive in there and poison the air. I'm not sure if it's built to the same ventilation standards a regular indoor parking structure that would have to deal with exhaust?

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I looked up that EVGo station. The difference between it and the new EA station is that it's outdoors. The EA stations are in a building. which I think will be attractive to all sorts of folks wanting to stay dry..
Yes, on the other hand, there's a significant difference in neighborhoods. 16th and mission has more aggro loonies, that stretch of Harrison has more long-term homeless finding places to hole up, which is to your point. The 16th mission station has really bright lights, and chain link fences, and not a lot of room where tents could be set up. My thoughts were more about cable theft and vandalism - if the 16th mission station isn't getting vandalized, a Harrison location wouldn't, either.

I looked through the press release and gallery images, I don't see anything about not having in-person security. The images are all "press release quality". I agree it's not going to succeed without security. They can also add security later. I could also imagine a feature where you have to have the EA app on your phone to open a pedestrian door, or have a 2 hour stay rule, or something similar.

I think it's an interesting guess what happens. 24 hour businesses like Happy Doughnut at 3rd struggled then closed, the loonie factor was livable for decades, then got unbearable.

My bet would be on success, I think they'll be able to have some fairly reasonable barriers to keep non-patrons out.

YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER (Job 2)
Country flag
Interesting. That would be a mess up north because of all the snow and slush the cars would track in. It could get noisy inside with all the fans, pumps, and A/C compressors running for DC charging. And potentially scary if thieves try to block the exists and then rob everyone inside.

I hope ICE vehicles don't try to drive in there and poison the air. I'm not sure if it's built to the same ventilation standards a regular indoor parking structure that would have to deal with exhaust?
I agree. This is overly complicated - it could’ve and should’ve just been built like a normal gas station.

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree. This is overly complicated - it could’ve and should’ve just been built like a normal gas station.
I think it's necessary for the networks to experiment with new styles. They said it's a prototype, good for them. It's better to try and know, then to not try and never know.

For 30 minutes, I don't want to sit in my car. I do want access to chairs and Internet and vending machines. I'd *really* like a coffee shop within a short walk or in the charging building.

On the other hand, a "truck stop" style space, with a large bank of chargers then a convenience store / fast food, seems attractive - but you can't build a truck stop in a major city, and major cities have a greater need of chargers (apartment dwellers / gig workers).

The other siting constraint will be enough power. I wonder if EA located where they could get 350kw * 20 = 7.0MW, found there weren't much choices, then found a building where they could tap in most easily - and it happened to already have a building on it, so why not.

I also wonder about charging speed - would an enclosed building, in some locations, lead to better charging times because it can be heated?

That particular neighborhood is an interesting choice because there's a lot of apartments who won't have L2 charging on site, and it's a nexus for gig work drivers. It's also an area with lots of light industrial buildings and no empty lots, getting a space with a building on it might have been the only option, so - hey! Let's try it.
Sponsored