Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext. Range
Occupation
ret
Country flag
The advantage of LFP batteries is, as I understand it, that they take charging up to 100% without any problems, including level 3 chargers. They last a long time. They are said less likely to burn, they are cheaper, they use cheaper materials. And once the US charging network is built out on Federal and most State Highway systems 250 real miles of range will be adequate.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
The advantage of LFP batteries is, as I understand it, that they take charging up to 100% without any problems, including level 3 chargers. They last a long time. They are said less likely to burn, they are cheaper, they use cheaper materials. And once the US charging network is built out on Federal and most State Highway systems 250 real miles of range will be adequate.
All true.

Also heavier and slower and less efficient.

They serve a purpose and fill a niche. Perfect battery for a base model.

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ret
Country flag
Mach1E - my only disagreement is that with a well built out level 2 charging network 250 real miles of range will serve almost everyone well. Even when traveling by myself on a long road trip I like to stop about every three hours. Ten years ago - 4 hours. Age has its effect. LOL

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Mach1E - my only disagreement is that with a well built out level 2 charging network 250 real miles of range will serve almost everyone well. Even when traveling by myself on a long road trip I like to stop about every three hours. Ten years ago - 4 hours. Age has its effect. LOL
I think that one issue some people would see is the inability of this technology to sustain high output rates, making it a poor choice for the high-performance variant. As @Mach1E said, a base model would be a great home for it. It would thrive there. The GT would be a lousy place. 🤔🐩

BufordT79

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Dodge Magnum RT
Country flag
The GOM was very optimistic with my LFP range this morning. I must be babying the pedal recently.
Ford Mustang Mach-E New LFP battery manufacturer recommendations 20231002_011723

DarkVamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW i3 BEV, 2023 MUSTANG MACH-E PREMIUM RWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's about a month since we got our 2023.5 LFP Premium STD. We're not babying it but our commuting doesn't push the car hard, this morning had the highest estimate we've seen.

Ford Mustang Mach-E New LFP battery manufacturer recommendations MicrosoftTeams-image

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Level 2? Are your stops usually 7 hours long?

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I think that one issue some people would see is the inability of this technology to sustain high output rates, making it a poor choice for the high-performance variant. As @Mach1E said, a base model would be a great home for it. It would thrive there. The GT would be a lousy place. 🤔🐩
hmmm I wonder... even in the GT, the discharge rate with your foot on the floor is less than 5C. That is not real high and with 4 cells in parallel (with the LR packs) you are around 1C per series max.

I bet weight and size will be the killer. Adding a few hundred pounds is not good for performance.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The GOM was very optimistic with my LFP range this morning. I must be babying the pedal recently.
Ford Mustang Mach-E New LFP battery manufacturer recommendations MicrosoftTeams-image
There’s no reason that the GOM should be any better due to LFP.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
250 miles of range is not 250 miles of highway range. You can subtract 15-20% if you drive 75-80 mph, and another 15-20% in the winter. And you never stop to charge at 0%, you stop at 10% or more. And due to charging speed you rarely charge past 80% unless you want to wait an hour (which I have done, BTW). So you can knock off another 30% for your charging stop range.

We have a ways to go before BEVs are good road trip cars. I know those who like adventure, or those who are retired and not in a hurry, find road tripping in a BEV to be fine. Not me. Not my wife. I like to drive my car so I do it, but my wife refuses to take my car on trips now. Too many unpleasant experiences at charging stops.

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ret
Country flag
250 miles of range is not 250 miles of highway range. You can subtract 15-20% if you drive 75-80 mph, and another 15-20% in the winter. And you never stop to charge at 0%, you stop at 10% or more. And due to charging speed you rarely charge past 80% unless you want to wait an hour (which I have done, BTW). So you can knock off another 30% for your charging stop range.

We have a ways to go before BEVs are good road trip cars. I know those who like adventure, or those who are retired and not in a hurry, find road tripping in a BEV to be fine. Not me. Not my wife. I like to drive my car so I do it, but my wife refuses to take my car on trips now. Too many unpleasant experiences at charging stops.
No disagreement here. But when I talk about 250 mile range I mean real range. which likely means EPA 300. Should I get a 300 EPA range EV my first two years will be carefully chosen to ensure charging availability. I am expecting a decent charging network after 2025.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
No disagreement here. But when I talk about 250 mile range I mean real range. which likely means EPA 300. Should I get a 300 EPA range EV my first two years will be carefully chosen to ensure charging availability. I am expecting a decent charging network after 2025.
The charging network for my MME will get 10x better as soon as the Tesla SC adapter becomes available next Spring.
Sponsored