New Member With Several Questions

JSTN

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 1500
Hey everyone, been lurking the forums for several months and finally made and account. I have several questions that are a bit scattered in thought.
So I have 2 mustang mach e premiums that I can purchase right now. One is a 2021 premium awd with extended range that is rapid red. It's used with only 33xxkm on it. The other is a 2022 dark matter grey awd premium with the extended range and has next to no km on it. The price difference is only $5000. My question relating to that is 1) is there any concerns with buying used? What should I keep an eye out for? 2) which would you personally go for? 3) Has there been many issues with premiums as I'm mostly seeing on here and on the mach e Facebook page, it's mostly the GT? 4) is there any big differences between a 2021 and a 2022?

And for some actual random questions I've had here's a few.
1) Would it be worth it to buy the Mach E when I'll be selling my house in a few months so I won't be getting a charger installed?
2) For those who live in the prairies in Canada (Alberta/Saskatchewan), how did your Mach E hold up during the -50 cold spell we had for several weeks? How much battery loss did you ultimately lose?
3) Can you fit the GT bumper on a premium? I like the design of it more than a premium bumper but don't feel like paying 90k for that.

And I think that is it for questions for now. So thanks ahead of time for those who respond and looking forward to learning lots from you all.
Sponsored

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
I know in the US, we don't get a federal rebate on used cars. What are the rules in Canada and the provinces? Are there rebates in Canada?

OP
OP

JSTN

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 1500
I doubt there'd be a rebate for the used one but the mach e I believes falls out of the rebate due to its price unless you get the standard range rwd base version. I could be highly wrong on that but I do believe it doesn't qualify.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Not having access to 240V charging overnight will be a challenge if the car is sitting outside in sun freezing temps since the car will be using power from the HVB to keep the battery warm 24/7

Ranger Rick

First Name
Ranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 Ranger, 2006 F-250, 14 & 19 Fusion Energi
Occupation
Tax Adminstration
Country flag
Hey everyone, been lurking the forums for several months and finally made and account. I have several questions that are a bit scattered in thought.
So I have 2 mustang mach e premiums that I can purchase right now. One is a 2021 premium awd with extended range that is rapid red. It's used with only 33xxkm on it. The other is a 2022 dark matter grey awd premium with the extended range and has next to no km on it. The price difference is only $5000. My question relating to that is 1) is there any concerns with buying used? What should I keep an eye out for? 2) which would you personally go for? 3) Has there been many issues with premiums as I'm mostly seeing on here and on the mach e Facebook page, it's mostly the GT? 4) is there any big differences between a 2021 and a 2022?

And for some actual random questions I've had here's a few.
1) Would it be worth it to buy the Mach E when I'll be selling my house in a few months so I won't be getting a charger installed?
2) For those who live in the prairies in Canada (Alberta/Saskatchewan), how did your Mach E hold up during the -50 cold spell we had for several weeks? How much battery loss did you ultimately lose?
3) Can you fit the GT bumper on a premium? I like the design of it more than a premium bumper but don't feel like paying 90k for that.

And I think that is it for questions for now. So thanks ahead of time for those who respond and looking forward to learning lots from you all.
1A) My only concern with buying used is you don’t know who did what to that car previously. Presumably being that new, you could still have some factory warranty. However, Me personally, I bought a used car once. Then I found stains in the trunk under a mat that made me wonder who the heck was murdered and dumped in that trunk. I never slept well after that. :p

2A) See above. Definitely new, that way I know exactly whose body has been in the trunk.

In all seriousness though, saving 5000 CAD is no small sum of money, but if you were already comfortable buying new and money is not a concern, do you really want someone else’s hand me downs or something you can pamper from day one?

3A) I am unaware with any significant reliability or mechanical issues with any of the Mach-E trims. However, you will be waiting a long time for a new Premium. Whether it is because the Premium requires more chips, has the lowest profit margin, or whatever; Ford seems to be rolling Premiums off the production line at a significantly slower pace. We barely say Premium orders from October 21 assigned May production dates while Select and GT orders as recently as January have been picked up.

4A) My understanding is that the hardware is identical and the alleged additional range “introduced” with the 2022 MY was a software update allowing increased battery access. In theory, MY 21 could get the same boost via OTA update (if there already hasn’t been one, I haven’t been following the OTA update history).

1B) In the USA, it will always be cheaper to charge at home. It’s also more convenient and better for the longevity of the battery to charge at home. If you use a public Level 2 charger, it’ll take 7-8 hours to go from about 10-20% to full. Same with your level 2 charger at home, but you can hang out in your underwear all day at home. While possible at your local strip mall or other charging destination, I suspect RCMP will take issue with your choice of attire.

While DC fast charging will get you to a full in about in hour or so, it really not a good idea to deep fry your battery that often. Even with active thermal management of the battery, DC fast charging accelerates many degradation factors.

2B) I cannot answer this particular question, but according to the Norwegian Automobile Federation, you can anticipate a typical loss of range around 20 percent. YouTube personality Bjorn Nyland encountered similar range loss in his testing.

3B) I’ve got no answer to this question unfortunately. However, I would assume much of the body structure is the same. However, there is absolutely no way of ordering one from Ford that way.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
1A) My only concern with buying used is you don’t know who did what to that car previously. Presumably being that new, you could still have some factory warranty. However, Me personally, I bought a used car once. Then I found stains in the trunk under a mat that made me wonder who the heck was murdered and dumped in that trunk. I never slept well after that. :p

2A) See above. Definitely new, that way I know exactly whose body has been in the trunk.

In all seriousness though, saving 5000 CAD is no small sum of money, but if you were already comfortable buying new and money is not a concern, do you really want someone else’s hand me downs or something you can pamper from day one?

3A) I am unaware with any significant reliability or mechanical issues with any of the Mach-E trims. However, you will be waiting a long time for a new Premium. Whether it is because the Premium requires more chips, has the lowest profit margin, or whatever; Ford seems to be rolling Premiums off the production line at a significantly slower pace. We barely say Premium orders from October 21 assigned May production dates while Select and GT orders as recently as January have been picked up.

4A) My understanding is that the hardware is identical and the alleged additional range “introduced” with the 2022 MY was a software update allowing increased battery access. In theory, MY 21 could get the same boost via OTA update (if there already hasn’t been one, I haven’t been following the OTA update history).

1B) In the USA, it will always be cheaper to charge at home. It’s also more convenient and better for the longevity of the battery to charge at home. If you use a public Level 2 charger, it’ll take 7-8 hours to go from about 10-20% to full. Same with your level 2 charger at home, but you can hang out in your underwear all day at home. While possible at your local strip mall or other charging destination, I suspect RCMP will take issue with your choice of attire.

While DC fast charging will get you to a full in about in hour or so, it really not a good idea to deep fry your battery that often. Even with active thermal management of the battery, DC fast charging accelerates many degradation factors.

2B) I cannot answer this particular question, but according to the Norwegian Automobile Federation, you can anticipate a typical loss of range around 20 percent. YouTube personality Bjorn Nyland encountered similar range loss in his testing.

3B) I’ve got no answer to this question unfortunately. However, I would assume much of the body structure is the same. However, there is absolutely no way of ordering one from Ford that way.
I’ll add to this-

-50 C? Expect your range to be cut in half. See the many threads weekly here about winter range.

GT bumper on a premium? Many have wanted this, but I don’t think anyone has made it happen. The cost would be significant as it’s the whole front of the car.

You could add an aftermarket lip. AOSK makes one.

You can charge at home on 110, but it only adds 3-4 miles of range per hour.

OP
OP

JSTN

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 1500
Not having access to 240V charging overnight will be a challenge if the car is sitting outside in sun freezing temps since the car will be using power from the HVB to keep the battery warm 24/7
Well I'm selling the house in the next 2-3 months after I finish all the renos. So it'll be summer time and once the house sells, I'll be buying another house with a double garage and that's where I'll have it installed. So realistically I'd be without a 240v charger for 3-4 months at most which is still summer time.

OP
OP

JSTN

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 1500

Yea my concern as well when buying used is what the previous owner did. With the low mileage of just over 3300km on it I don't think it was too much to be worried about. But ya still worried the previous owner didn't care about it. It should still have its warranty. Just won't get the rebate I believe. I'm not concerned about the 5k honestly. Just one is already in dealership. The other is showing up in a month says the salesman but honestly I doubt they'd even know.

For the issues, I've seen this morning a lot of HVB issues on Facebook being posted and it was all GT trim models. I wouldn't be ordering one as I don't want to wait a year or more for one. Just figured I'd try my luck with dealerships who have one in.

When it comes to charging, I only travel 25km one way for work. So what I'd most likely do for the time being til I buy my next house is charge it to 80% at the charging stations every 4-5 days. I'd only have to do it for 3-4 months.

Ya I'd figure ordering a new bumper will still be in short supply. But I wasn't going to do that right away after owning one. Was thinking about doing it a year or so after owning one.

OP
OP

JSTN

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 1500
I’ll add to this-

-50 C? Expect your range to be cut in half. See the many threads weekly here about winter range.

GT bumper on a premium? Many have wanted this, but I don’t think anyone has made it happen. The cost would be significant as it’s the whole front of the car.

You could add an aftermarket lip. AOSK makes one.

You can charge at home on 110, but it only adds 3-4 miles of range per hour.
Yea -50C. That's what it was with the windchill. It's why I didn't buy one during winter months cause right now no garage. I've looked at a few of the threads but they are talking about a warm winter (compared to what I'm used to where it gets to -30 to -50 for about a month then warms up to -10 to -25 for the rest of the 4 months of winter).

I'm curious on the cost but it's something I'd do after some time of owning the vehicle first. I'll have to check out AOSK.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

You can use the supplied charger to charge at a much slower speed on your household 120V outlet for the next few months, while you wait for the 240V at your new home. Figure that you'll recover about 3 kilometers of driving range per hour (maybe a little more than that) on the slower charge setup. Your need to visit public chargers might be kept very minimal/infrequent.

I don't believe this is correct. While unplugged and turned off, the vehicle does not attempt to warm or cool the battery pack. You can set up Departure Times if you have a consistent commute schedule, but outside of that, the vehicle's not going to consume significant energy from its high voltage battery pack while the vehicle is powered off.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yea -50C. That's what it was with the windchill. It's why I didn't buy one during winter months cause right now no garage. I've looked at a few of the threads but they are talking about a warm winter (compared to what I'm used to where it gets to -30 to -50 for about a month then warms up to -10 to -25 for the rest of the 4 months of winter).

I'm curious on the cost but it's something I'd do after some time of owning the vehicle first. I'll have to check out AOSK.
The cost for the bumper swap doesn’t really exist.

The bumpers aren’t just cosmetic. There are sensors, the light up pony on the GT, Active shutters in the front bumper, etc.

It isn’t just a matter of buying the parts and bolting them on. That’s why no one has done it.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Welcome!

It might be worth the cost to add a 40A circuit and NEMA 14-50 outlet to your current house so you can use the 240 V charging option that comes with the car, even if you don't install an aftermarket EVSE. But I have no idea how much it would cost to add such an outlet in your region.

Note that all the scary problems you see on this forum are not *necessarily* representative of the >40,000 Mustangs that have shipped around the world. These problems are real, no doubt, but they may be limited in scope. So far, it looks like you're more likely to get a vehicle that never sees these problems.

I would go for a new purchase for the reasons mentioned above and because known recall issues will have been fixed at the factory, not at the dealer. Of course, if you order a car now, you won't have a reason to install the 240 V outlet in your current house. If you go used, I would suggest getting the 2022. You know that the recall issues that were found on the 2021s were fixed at the factory for the 2022s, not by a dealer.

I wouldn't try to change the Premium front end to look like a GT front end. You would likely have to recalibrate all of the sensors and that's not going to be fun, easy, or cheap.

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Someone Traded-in / Sold their MME after just 3300 KM? and took that loss? Why? This makes me suspect (just suspect looking at it from my perspective), that they might have had some absolutely annoying or unsolvable issues which they did Not want to live with and just got rid of the vehicle no matter what the loss was.

Again, this is is just my personal way of looking at it but I could just be wrong or over thinking this because there is this simple possibility that their actual order or a vehicle trim that they really wanted was available so they traded up.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Someone Traded-in / Sold their MME after just 3300 KM? and took that loss? Why? This makes me suspect (just suspect looking at it from my perspective), that they might have had some absolutely annoying or unsolvable issues which they did Not want to live with and just got rid of the vehicle no matter what the loss was.

Again, this is is just my personal way of looking at it but I could just be wrong or over thinking this because there is this simple possibility that their actual order or a vehicle trim that they really wanted was available so they traded up.
Or they lived in an apartment and didn't understand the extra time required for charging... Or it was a dealer demo. Several possibilities.