News already bashing

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Just had a co-worker text me about the bad MME range...looks like the media is already bashing. Why???

Mach E has Lackluster Range
Views / Clicks in a catchy title.

Same article: "Those figures are nearly identical to what Ford targeted with the Mach-E, signaling the automaker's improving engineering quality."

RunningHorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
So much incorrect information in that article. The author is suspect and most likely a shill.

• " the range is well under that found in competing vehicles " What? The Mach E has better range than every other competitor in it's class except the MY. It beats the ID4, Ipace, leaf, Bolt, Polsetar, volvo, etron, etc.
  • "Tesla Model 3, available in 400 mile-range" This dude has no idea what he is talking about. To lazy to do a 5 min search? The Model S is much more expensive and a sedan if that's what he is referring to
  • " Some have longer range, and others are less expensive than Ford's first EV. " Again Mach E has more range and is cheaper than Ipace, etron, polestar, EQC, Volvo, etc.
I seriously wonder how this guy has a job as a journalist. Big fail.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Just had a co-worker text me about the bad MME range...looks like the media is already bashing. Why???

Pick any of the following:
  • Bold and controversial headlines make more people read the article
  • Gets more clicks than "Ford hits EPA range targets"
  • Journalist is a Teslavangelist
  • Journalist works freelance and sold it first to a site with a Tesla-bias
At the same time, Green Car Reports said:
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E: First non-Tesla EV to reach 300 miles of EPA-rated range
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-tesla-ev-to-top-300-miles-of-epa-rated-range

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag

Because this base model shouldn't exist. Even Tesla got rid of theirs. This isn't a low budget economy car. Leave that to other models. Having this low end hurts the brand in my opinion. This article is an example. They focus in on the low number.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Because this base model shouldn't exist. Even Tesla got rid of theirs. This isn't a low budget economy car. Leave that to other models. Having this low end hurts the brand in my opinion. This article is an example. They focus in on the low number.
hurts nothing. Give people more options. And as a consumer more options are always better. Now the problem is the drop of 3,000 vs 1,000 in price. More buyers jumped up to the premium level then select.
Really it shows the select price needs to be dropped to the 39,999 prices which would be eye-catching to people. the 39,999 would be a direct target at the ID4 then and would eat into the id4 sales.

Premium and GT Vs the Tesla y then. If ford marketing wants to really leap ahead into the EV battle need to find away to get around that price table.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Really? So 230 mi range shouldn't exist, even though the SR+ that had 250 mi range until a month ago is a huge seller. Has it occurred to you that the buffer in the MME is more than twice the size of the M3 and almost any other car, and that once Ford gets comfortable with their BMS they will open up some of that buffer AND implement some more efficiencies? Has it also occurred to you that Ford hitting their target exactly might be Ford sandbagging, and in real use owners will see better range?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We have a number of Select buyers here on the Forum who will disagree with your assessment.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I get everyone's point above, but range needs to come up in general, to ease range anxiety, and to compete with what is in development. I just think when you try to satisfy all points on the compass, you dilute the brand. I would have even set the GT with more power and a larger battery. Anyway, just a thought.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I get everyone's point above, but range needs to come up in general, to ease range anxiety, and to compete with what is in development. I just think when you try to satisfy all points on the compass, you dilute the brand. I would have even set the GT with more power and a larger battery. Anyway, just a thought.
Yes and no. It would be more valuable to get more vehicles in the hands of ICE drivers to help them realize most of the perceived range anxiety is not real. 90% of the time the 100 mile range on our Leaf is just fine and would be for most drivers and most applications.

For road trips, faster charging is probably an easier and better next hurdle to tackle.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
It's not the range that is the problem. It's the charge anxiety. So many people who do not own a Ev are worried about the delays caused by charging stops.

Well. rightful so. The tech is not there for quick refueling like a ice vehicle. Right now an EV is a double edge sword in the tech. You can charge at home and that beats going to gas stations, but on longer trips, you have longer stops to fill up than ice vehicles.

If your someone that drives less than 150 miles a day your fine. Long trips or constant road trips then you have to adapt to the charging times.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
@agoldman
From an environmental point of view, the main reason for full electric cars, a smaller battery uses less energy and resources during manufacturing and uses less electricity to run the car...so I feel fine with a SR RWD...
And you're saving a significant amount of money in purchase price, on top of that.
Sponsored