Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Had a Model 3 from LA to SD. Similar story as above, but on top of that chargers were routinely paywalled off. Eventually I said F it and paid for a valet tip and a $10 cup of tea I didn’t want just to get a plug.
Malibu to San Diego Zoo and back is a 300 mile drive. M3 has plenty of range for that....you didn't need that cup of tea. ;)
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Had a Model 3 from LA to SD. Similar story as above, but on top of that chargers were routinely paywalled off. Eventually I said F it and paid for a valet tip and a $10 cup of tea I didn’t want just to get a plug.
I'm a little confused by what you're trying to say; presumably it is that you rented a model 3? If you owned a model 3 all of the below superchargers should have been available to you, and you would not have had to go to a third party paywalled charger at all. Regardless of whether you owned or rented a Mach E today, you could also have stopped at one of the many 150kw EA chargers shown in the second map from SF to Reno and charged more than twice as fast as the Bolt.

Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA Certifies Mach-E Range Targets, 300 Miles for Premium Extended Range RWD Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 6.01.01 PM

Ford Mustang Mach-E EPA Certifies Mach-E Range Targets, 300 Miles for Premium Extended Range RWD Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 6.09.08 PM

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I currently drive a 2018 BMW i3 with a range of about 120 miles--that's worked nicely the vast majority of the time, so I'm fine with the standard range battery. For my part, I can't imagine hauling around the extra battery 363 days a year for the 2 days that I would like the longer range. But that's just my driving patterns.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
If you know for a fact that will work for you good for you, but 210 is just too low to be usable for my comfort , even in a moderate climate area.

Think about it, 210 means you’re on a ~100 mile leash from home in ideal conditions . That’s a big ask if you’re not in a metropolitan area with abundant charging.

Even Tesla won’t sell you such a car with such poor range and Porsche went out of their way to say their 201 miles doesn’t tell the full story. My guess is the take rate on that will be really low.
It's far less than ~100 miles each way during the winter as you could lose ~45-50 miles due to the cold. On the flip side, you'll see ~45-50 miles over range in the summer.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Too much redundancy, unfortunately. Wish many of the city DCFC chargers were spread out between cities to enable more highway and rural routes.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I Like Green Car Report's take on the range. This really is significant.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-tesla-ev-to-top-300-miles-of-epa-rated-range

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E: First non-Tesla EV to reach 300 miles of EPA-rated range
avatar-image-for-bengt_100544847_s.jpg

BENGT HALVORSON NOVEMBER 23, 2020

Ford has announced that the U.S. EPA has certified range numbers of up to 300 miles for the 2021 Mustang Mach-E, which will start arriving at dealerships in December.

In its single-motor rear-wheel-drive (RWD) layout—including the California Route 1 launch version—the Mach-E will come rated for 300 miles for the Extended-range version, or 230 miles in the Standard-range version, according to the automaker. With the dual-motor all-wheel-drive (AWD) layout, the Mach-E earns 270 miles in the Extended-range form or 211 miles in Standard-range form.

Most of those numbers are exactly what Ford has anticipated for months; the Standard-range AWD model is actually 1 mile better.

Extended-range versions of the Mach-E achieve their higher range with an 88-kwh battery pack, while the Standard-range Mach-E includes a 68-kwh battery pack. Both are listed based on actual usable capacity, as part of a move Ford made earlier this year “to be more transparent about usable energy levels.”

2021-ford-mustang-mach-e_100723924_l.jpg
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E

The Tesla Model Y, in its Long Range AWD form, achieves an EPA range of 326 miles. Outside of Tesla, Lucid has said that its Air electric sedan can go up to 517 miles of anticipated range on the EPA test, and Rivian is anticipating more than 300 miles for its launch model and more than 400 miles for its available “Max pack” version.

Both of those models are far more expensive than the Mach-E. Neither has been EPA certified, and they won’t be available until well into 2021.

Among models that are arriving soon, the Volkswagen ID.4 will have an estimated EPA range of 250 miles, according to VW, and the Volvo XC40 Recharge will go an EPA-official 208 miles.

ford-mustang-mach-e-downloading-update_100746481_l.jpg
Ford Mustang Mach-E, downloading update!

It only gets better from here. The Mustang Mach-E will be able to receive over-the-air updates.

While Ford hasn’t yet confirmed that the updates will be able to affect key propulsion components and battery management in the same way that Tesla can, it’s likely Ford will roll out efficiency improvements for the Mach-E through OTAs.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I drove from Hollywood to Seattle in a BEV with an 87-mile range. That qualifies me to talk about range.
If you can get and forth to work in the worst conditions, it's enough range. I talk to people nearly every day that insist they need 400 miles of range, but they've near even driven a BEV.
I equate it to people who own a 6 bedroom house because of the one weekend every three years when they have a family gathering and need the space. I think too many people buy things for the 4% of the time instead of the 96% of the time. Just my 2 pennies. If that's you, go for it. You should buy the 400 mile RT1.

211 is more than enough for most people. Remember that any city driving will extend the range past 211.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I drove from Hollywood to Seattle in a BEV with an 87-mile range. That qualifies me to talk about range.
If you can get and forth to work in the worst conditions, it's enough range. I talk to people nearly every day that insist they need 400 miles of range, but they've near even driven a BEV.
I equate it to people who own a 6 bedroom house because of the one weekend every three years when they have a family gathering and need the space. I think too many people buy things for the 4% of the time instead of the 96% of the time. Just my 2 pennies. If that's you, go for it. You should buy the 400 mile RT1.

211 is more than enough for most people. Remember that any city driving will extend the range past 211.
You're absolutely right. I have a ~100 mile range Leaf. I've taken it from DC to Philly twice, central PA twice, New York, various spots in VA, and the Eastern Shore. It's a pain for long distance but usually fine for our in town use.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
happy the epa marks hit the estimates ford provided. any ota extra range will definitely icing.

i live in LA. looking forward to my standard range RWD (11/30) build date (by christmas would be awesome). the 230 miles range is just fine for my 30mile commute, climate, and plenty to get me to the beach or visit in-laws in the inland empire or san diego.

we have a minivan for long family trips. spending an extra $5000 for the extended range seemed a waste. i actually initially had the AWD ER reserved (we're fortunate to be able to afford it) but changed the order to RWD SR.

the RWD will still be faster 0-60 than my current daily driver (volvo c70) and undoubtedly feel even faster with the instant torque compared to the delayed power from the turbo in the volvo. i'm also predicting the mach-e will handle better with the lower center of gravity battery (even with the c70 slightly lowered on bilstein shocks). in any case, another $2500 saved skipping the awd.

battery and electric motor costs will continue to come down... until then, it's a big premium for that extra 70miles of range anxiety-security blanket.

i'm looking forward to getting a great looking BEV with near-premium experience and cool features for a reasonable price (especially with fed and state incentives).

in 3 years, i will return it (ford options) and by then the variety, range and cost of BEVs will be even better.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
She certainly knows what she's talking about.
Except for the minor slipup where she said ford promised 211 and delivered 210, which is of course the opposite. But yes, a fair assessment and quite positive.

Stacey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB M class
Occupation
Data Analyst
Country flag
Personally speaking I’m not willing to plan my route based on the limitations of my car. I don’t drive too much, but I don’t have steady access to a plug, and I do long distance trips frequently enough that 200 miles is a non-starter. What’s the point of car ownership if you have to accommodate your plans to your car?

I just want a quick , moderately priced fun to drive EV that’s not a Tesla 3 so I could burn my EV grants on before I lose them to the massive pay increase I’ll get next year. Otherwise I’d rather buy a V8 Mustang or an STI. I’m hoping that the GT delivers in that regard

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Personally speaking I’m not willing to plan my route based on the limitations of my car. I don’t drive too much, but I don’t have steady access to a plug, and I do long distance trips frequently enough that 200 miles is a non-starter. What’s the point of car ownership if you have to accommodate your plans to your car?

I just want a quick , moderately priced fun to drive EV that’s not a Tesla 3 so I could burn my EV grants on before I lose them to the massive pay increase I’ll get next year. Otherwise I’d rather buy a V8 Mustang or an STI. I’m hoping that the GT delivers in that regard
Those 2 paragraphs are inconsistent: you don't want a 270 or 300 mile range ER, but you still want a 235 mile GT. I don't know what you really want, but I don't think any BEV is right for you.
Sponsored