Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Last updated: 07/11/22

Update Per Ford: This issue was caused by a server side error. Ford is working to restore functionality to the update. No time frame was given as to when it will be resolved and available again.

OTAs are still rolling out for 22S41 as that uses a different system altogether. This server issue only applies to Dealer installed or owner installed updates.

NO FURTHER UPDATES WILL BE PROVIDED TO THIS THREAD. Everything has returned to working and the issue was resolved.

Everything below was from the original post where we noticed that the updates were missing. Some of the issues surrounding clearing of the recall with incorrect software versions stands as an issue that Ford will have to address.

Preface:

Today, I decided to see if I had any other updates available - other than the 22S41 Recall, which I don't want anyway. I have OTAs turned off and I haven't received any. The last update I performed to the car for the BECM and associated "recall modules" was in May with the software released before the recall. To my surprise I had no updates available, zero, zilch. I would have assumed that I had the recall at minimum, but nope. I confirmed this by checking my software versions against other GT/GTPE's that I know have the 22S41 recall applied. Confirmed that my version is 1 prior to the recall.

So, I took to the forums (here) and got a couple members to give me their VINs and with the help of VINs that @WyldStallyn had confirmed that 5 vehicles, all GTs and all from July of 2021 show the same old versions either installed or available with no recall versions available.

Could the recall have been pulled for everyone?

Through further investigation with multiple members running VINs, we are certain that is the case (read down a few posts on the main page). We can no longer find the recall versions of the software for ANY trims with ANY build dates. The only place we can find the recall software is on vehicles which previously had it applied before it was pulled.

Warning for all those who scheduled service calls the week of 07/10/22:

Those who are going to get the recall performed this week might be getting a placebo (the May version) and wasting their time. If the updates aren't available in FDRS dealers cannot perform them.

What about the OTA's going out?

Once I get access to that internal system I'll publish my findings on the status of the recall OTA. As of right now I have no idea if it's still being rolled out. I would assume not, but I don't have concrete answers yet. Per this post it is no longer showing in the OTA system.

Recall Cleared??

One of the VINs I ran had the 22S41 recall pulled by the dealer and they updated the modules to pre-recall versions. I assume that VIN has been cleared from the recall system even though he doesn't have the correct versions. That could be messy ...

But are you sure? I updated my modules today...

I've received a couple messages from people who say they have updated with the recall software. While I don't disbelieve them at all, the interesting part to all this is that the updates for the "recall modules" had an update just 1 month prior. So unless you are carefully looking at the exact software revision, you would assume that the recall is available because the modules that require updating are likely showing has having available updates. This, because the May release wasn't installed OTA and due to its proximity to the recall version. So could there be some cars with the recall updates available today? Sure, but there's none that I've seen yet and we have collectively run probably 20 VINs. All that being said - that is why I have this thread labeled as investigative still. If someone wants to provide me their VIN who is claiming they installed them I would be happy to look. So far, no one has stepped up and provided that proof.

Is it being rolled back?

Nothing suggests that if you had 22S41 installed it is being rolled back. This would require a new release of module software and there's none available at all.

What if I had 22S41 installed and they end up revising the recall software?

Then you will have to get the new version, which yeah, could mean another trip to the dealer. There's nothing to suggest that at this time.

NHTSA VIN Check:

In the NHTSA VIN check my vehicle and others show the 22S41 recall active.

Reference threads for people helping:

Version numbers for recall software:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...obdmc-sobdmb-updates-available-in-fdrs.19011/

Also see attached recall report for versions

Non-Recall, May, Tool-Tip Versions (thanks @WyldStallyn):

Ford Mustang Mach-E 22S41 Recall Software - Server Deployment Issue 1657483113581

A note about accuracy:

Although I am opposed to the software recall, that has nothing to do with this thread. Accuracy and honesty are more important than my personal opinions. If things change or if I get new information to disprove my claims, I will update the thread accordingly.

Attachments

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Sounds like you found a bug in ford's FDRS logic targeting VIN ranges. My GTPE has a build date of August 9 2021

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I think 22S41 updates may have been pulled. I just checked a few more VIN's and all are showing the May update tooltip versions.
I questioned that as well... I should have checked others outside of that range.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
For reference, the May update tooltip versions are as follows. Unfortunately I ran my 22S41 updates before I recorded the newer version.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 22S41 Recall Software - Server Deployment Issue 1657419240428

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I noticed in the VIN check thread that @Illinibird ’s VIN isn’t showing the recall updates available either, and his is a Premium AWD SR. Not sure what that means.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I noticed in the VIN check thread that @Illinibird ’s VIN isn’t showing the recall updates available either, and his is a Premium AWD SR. Not sure what that means.
I think they recalled the recall ... Not a good look for Ford.

Also could imply that dealer holds will go back into place. If dealers can't perform the updates they won't be able to release the vehicles. I just don't know what's going on right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
But the updates are still showing for other VINs. Maybe it’s a slow recall of the recall.
Well the BECM and all other SOB*** modules had an update in May. Are you seeing those available and not the recall versions? That's what makes this a bit tricky.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Long story that I won't go into, but when the recall came out, my car was at a dealer getting some work done. They weren't able to apply the update and had me sign a paper saying it was an open recall. Earlier this week I was back at another dealer and they said the recall was not available for my car ('21 premium job 1 RWD). I had a member on this forum look up available updates in FDRS both before and after my last dealer visit and it does appear the recall was recalled within the last few days.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Long story that I won't go into, but when the recall came out, my car was at a dealer getting some work done. They weren't able to apply the update and had me sign a paper saying it was an open recall. Earlier this week I was back at another dealer and they said the recall was not available for my car ('21 premium job 1 RWD). I had a member on this forum look up available updates in FDRS both before and after my last dealer visit and it does appear the recall was recalled within the last few days.
The interesting part to all this is that the updates for the recall on the "recall modules" had an update for those same modules just 1 month prior. So unless you are carefully looking at the exact software revision, you would assume that the recall is available because the modules that require updating are likely showing has having available updates. This is because the May release wasn't OTA and due to its proximity to the recall version.

The issue that I've seen on one VIN and could be problematic is that a dealer might be able to issue a recall performed noticed thinking that they are performing the recall, when in actuality, they aren't. This is one that requires attention to detail and I'm not sure we can say that's a Ford tech's first quality.
Sponsored