J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Working with Ford and I will wait for results of this experience to determine if another EVSE is best. To date, using the supplied charger has been easy and effective. I'll only add another device to the mix if absolutely necessary.
Sponsored

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, report from Ford via case # suggested to check charging schedule and 240v supply.

The fact the vehicle is charging on 120v using same charging unit, just with 220v adapter vs. 240v adapter tells me there is no issue with charging schedule. Also, tested with second 240v outlet on different circuit and same problem.

Tried a live chat and call to attempt to troubleshoot issue with Ford and whole process left me very disappointed in support for EVs in general. Would be nice to have technical help outside of regular business hours.

So still looking for a solution. Thinking either 240v adapter, internal charger/controller, software or potentially a charging unit higher voltage issue.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, looking for a dealer with Mach-e or EV knowledge in the Southeastern, MA area.

Charging is kinda important in the EV arena, there should probably be some measures to easily test/swap gear quickly.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quick update. Ford suggested a few things to check all have been checked and problem persists. Was instructed to contact local dealers as next step. Was hoping to get 240v charging issue checked, window sealant recall and 10K mile tire rotation addressed at the same time. Also, anticipated that substitute transportation would be needed and supplied, as per, recall instructions. Here are my results from the closest Ford dealers to me:

Dealer 1. Have L2 charger onsite I can test with, will not do windshield recall as they are not equipped, can do 10K mile checks/tire rotation with appointment

Dealer 2. Have L2 charger onsite I can use for testing, will outsource windshield recall, said I have to rent a car from a rental company and submit receipt to Ford, can to 10K mile checks/tire rotation with appointment

Dealer 3. Have L2 charger onsite I can use for testing, said best bet to do all of the above at same time, will do windshield recall and 10K mile check/tire rotation, but are 3 to 6 months out with appointments.

So, it looks like I will be testing the MME to see if it charges at L2 to see if it is the charging cable. Some discussions on replacing that if that is where the problem lies resulted in confusion on if/when it can be replaced and if so, the amount of time it would take.

I guess I expect better from a company/dealer who released an EV version of a legendary car and is about to unleash an EV version of the best selling vehicle in the US.

PS. I'm getting 4 miles of range per hour of charging. Didn't have range anxiety, until now.

kungfutea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 DMG MME
Country flag
Can you please continue to update?

I'm having a similar issue, except that it will still charge on the 240V, but the amber light comes on after about 30 minutes. Had an electrician check out the 240V and said it was fine. I have no issue with 120V as well.

Thanks!

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Can you please continue to update?

I'm having a similar issue, except that it will still charge on the 240V, but the amber light comes on after about 30 minutes. Had an electrician check out the 240V and said it was fine. I have no issue with 120V as well.

Thanks!
Sounds like it's the mobile charger for you. Does the amber light pulse or stay on?

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just FYI. My 240v session shows pulsing blue as if all is normal. The lights on charge port door do not flash as they should on 240 either, as in charging next 20% they are just lit.

Ill keep update going, but there really should be better support for all this stuff by manufacturer or service network

kungfutea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 DMG MME
Country flag
Sounds like it's the mobile charger for you. Does the amber light pulse or stay on?
Amber light pulse and blue stays on. According to the manual it's overheating, and in fact the charger does heat up, so I thought it was somewhere in the line. But the electrician checked the line and breaker and they are good. The house is 3 years old and the 240V hubbell 14-50 is 4 feet from the main panel. 120V is totally fine, so it's very frustrating!

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Amber light pulse and blue stays on. According to the manual it's overheating, and in fact the charger does heat up, so I thought it was somewhere in the line. But the electrician checked the line and breaker and they are good. The house is 3 years old and the 240V hubbell 14-50 is 4 feet from the main panel. 120V is totally fine, so it's very frustrating!
It's the mobile charger itself. Take a video of the light sequence to have just in case but contact your dealer. Tell them the mobile charger is having issues. They should be able to reproduce it on a 240v outlet

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Check out my post below and spend some time reading forward. Our experiences a year ago may be applicable to your situation.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/home-level-2-charger-issues.3656/page-45#post-144677
Ouch. Big thread. What I read seems to focus on the power supply of the residence and/or issues with installation. All great info, but seems odd that we have been charging on 240v since September 2021 without issue.

Have not made it to dealer to test 240v (L2) charging there, but it will tell the tale when we do. Currently charging on 120v, slow but not a problem with our use case.

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
Ouch. Big thread. What I read seems to focus on the power supply of the residence and/or issues with installation. All great info, but seems odd that we have been charging on 240v since September 2021 without issue.

Have not made it to dealer to test 240v (L2) charging there, but it will tell the tale when we do. Currently charging on 120v, slow but not a problem with our use case.
Quality of commercial deliver not necessarily comparable to residential delivery. My equipment would work at the dealer but not at home. Once the patch was applied, all was well. My symptoms were the same with the charge port lights lit but no blinking.

If not already done so, has the Ford charger been eliminated as the culprit? Besides testing with the dealer, I went to other local owners who posted here as well. Thankfully we’re a cooperative group here in NW suburban Chicago.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quality of commercial deliver not necessarily comparable to residential delivery. My equipment would work at the dealer but not at home. Once the patch was applied, all was well. My symptoms were the same with the charge port lights lit but no blinking.

If not already done so, has the Ford charger been eliminated as the culprit? Besides testing with the dealer, I went to other local owners who posted here as well. Thankfully we’re a cooperative group here in NW suburban Chicago.
Have not been able to narrow down to mobile charger, in-car controller or service at home completely. Only options available to me are dealers or charging stations. If those are all commercial supply, then I'm not sure this helps me. What patch was done?

@kWhpony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired technology professional
Country flag
I will be back at our IL home next week and check then. In the meantime, you may be able to find something related to the patch that was given to us in the thread that I quoted earlier.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I will be back at our IL home next week and check then. In the meantime, you may be able to find something related to the patch that was given to us in the thread that I quoted earlier.
Ok, It was a big thread, but I will read when I have a few. Thanks for the insight.
Sponsored