astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
would we be able to build this from source and sideload with xcode?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
You should try navigating to a DCFC 20+ miles away with the built-in nav so the battery heating turns on as you approach (en-route preconditioning). See what effect that has on the energy consumption and how it compared to the built-in efficiency reading.
I’ll try to log a trip this weekend to DCFC site, I wonder if I navigate to one of the nearby Tesla Magic Docks it will register? Nah, that would be asking too much. Right now I don’t have DCFC support but I can kill two birds with one stone here since I need to figure out the PIDs I need to record during a DCFC session.

Another question, does this record charging activity as well? NVM, coming soon I see.
Later tonight or tomorrow, similar to trips but for changes.

Not sure if you noticed, but if you charge to 100% you will not really see more than about 80 kWh EtE (even when the pack is warm). Where did the other 11 kWh go? That's why I think some kind of correction factor has to be involved. Also EtE is not linear, if you go on a road trip at a constant speed you'll notice some curves in the EtE as it goes down. I'm not sure what the solution is to that EtE accuracy problem, it might require some kind of temperature compensation or lookup table for the curve. Just wanted to point out the pitfalls of using the EtE parameter and that it could introduce up to 15% error into the calculations.
i rarely charge to 100% so I have no data there for now. But I’ll change OBD Play category from a navigation app to a game so I can label it ”For amusement only” until such time there is a better option for calculating the energy consumed on a trip.

I know it’s a low bar, but if I can match FordPass I’ll be happy.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
would we be able to build this from source and sideload with xcode?
Once the code base is posted you can use Xcode to load your build but I hope to make this available to regular folk which is why TestFlight is so important. If you aren’t an Apple developer your builds must reloaded on your device very few days, in TestFlight they can be used for 90 days before they expire but new versions can be posted to replace them.

Then there is need for a hosted database which right now must be InfluxDB. I used to have a Raspberry Pi and VPN but for a $1 month or so (free if you only want 30 days of data) you can have it hosted with a secure connection with no need to have a database background (which I don’t and learning SQL was not on my need-to-learn list).

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
I used to have a Raspberry Pi and VPN but for a $1 month or so (free if you only want 30 days of data) you can have it hosted with a secure connection with no need to have a database background (which I don’t and learning SQL was not on my need-to-learn list).
yeah i wouldn’t want to host this at home. looks like influx’s own cloud solution would be cheaper than AWS or digital ocean.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I’ll try to log a trip this weekend to DCFC site, I wonder if I navigate to one of the nearby Tesla Magic Docks it will register? Nah, that would be asking too much. Right now I don’t have DCFC support but I can kill two birds with one stone here since I need to figure out the PIDs I need to record during a DCFC session.
I don't think those are in the Ford nav yet. You have to choose from the DC chargers they have in the Nav unfortunately to get preconditioning.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah i wouldn’t want to host this at home. looks like influx’s own cloud solution would be cheaper than AWS or digital ocean.
Choose between AWS, Google, and Azure, mine happens to be done by them on Azure which has been flawless.

And OBD Play can download your data and app settings for a cheap backup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think those are in the Ford nav yet. You have to choose from the DC chargers they have in the Nav unfortunately to get preconditioning.
But it is my to-do list to see if I can pull in and charge, as a former Tesla owner I think it is a stretch and the low lip on the front of the GT is an obstacle.

But DCFC charging will be coming otherwise my new map showing charging stations visited will be pretty sparse. This is a mock up with the two local Superchargers

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1678419012096

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
What happens to the data? Is everything stored on-device or does any data leave the device? If data leaves the device, what data, where does it go, and why?

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What happens to the data? Is everything stored on-device or does any data leave the device? If data leaves the device, what data, where does it go, and why?
No data is stored on the device, the OBD Record app collects the data and sends to a database that you create and control using a HTTPS connection. The OBD Play app pulls the data from the database and visualizes it but it is not stored locally again using a HTTPS connection.

The data collected is your location from your device and the same data you can view with any OBDII app - ignition status, charge plug status, speed, odometer, interior, exterior, and HVB temperature etc.

If stored on a device your couldn't collect on one device and view on another and you might wish to deploy an old phone to collect your charging data since it must be in the vicinity of the MME for the entire charging session so you might want to tie up your iPhone 14 Pro Max while sites L2 charging.

Is it a privacy concern you have? Here is the Apple-required privacy I created policy that Apple was happy with:

Privacy Policy

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
No data is stored on the device, the OBD Record app collects the data and sends to a database that you create and control using a HTTPS connection. The OBD Play app pulls the data from the database and visualizes it but it is not stored locally again using a HTTPS connection.

The data collected is your location from your device and the same data you can view with any OBDII app - ignition status, charge plug status, speed, odometer, interior, exterior, and HVB temperature etc.

If stored on a device your couldn't collect on one device and view on another and you might wish to deploy an old phone to collect your charging data since it must be in the vicinity of the MME for the entire charging session so you might want to tie up your iPhone 14 Pro Max while sites L2 charging.

Is it a privacy concern you have? Here is the Apple-required privacy I created policy that Apple was happy with:

Privacy Policy
Hey, thanks for the detailed response!

Yeah, I sometimes wear a tinfoil hat and worry about the secret space base at area 83, I know 😉

I’m not a security professional but I know for a fact that there are certain nation-state actors out there who are indiscriminately harvesting as much data as they can, through whatever sources are available. There are a bunch of valid counterpoints, but I’d prefer to lessen the leakage of personal information, when it’s practical and I know how to do so. Keeping data on one (fairly secure) device is one way to lessen the risk.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey, thanks for the detailed response!

Yeah, I sometimes wear a tinfoil hat and worry about the secret space base at area 83, I know 😉

I’m not a security professional but I know for a fact that there are certain nation-state actors out there who are indiscriminately harvesting as much data as they can, through whatever sources are available. There are a bunch of valid counterpoints, but I’d prefer to lessen the leakage of personal information, when it’s practical and I know how to do so. Keeping data on one (fairly secure) device is one way to lessen the risk.
I too am not a security, professional and having the data hosted in a location of your choosing pushes that responsibility on you to go with wherever solution makes you the most comfortable.

Eventually you have trust someone and in my case I would rather let it be a hosted solution rather than stored on a device. The database code is written to support multiple solutions, one of which could be stored on the device, but writing the code is going to be up to someone else.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are at the end of this thread the original post has been updated with the specifics of the OBD Play Charges and Settings tabs with a special look at points-of-interest. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If you could manage to add a "DC Charging View" I think a lot of people would be interested, especially if you could make it say "Limited by vehicle" or "Limited by charger" in regards to the charging speed. Also show current battery temp, kW, amps, volts, kWh added, time to 80% and optionally price.

I have to use Car Scanner when DC charging to keep an eye on things, but it would be nice to have an app that does it and makes it pretty.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Very cool. And you’re not that far fro. Me if you need another tester as you broaden things out. I’m up in Watertown.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Very cool. And you’re not that far fro. Me if you need another tester as you broaden things out. I’m up in Watertown.
Thanks, the first test is go live tonight. In case you are wondering we met at the Ford/Shelby show last June.

What I need is a F-150 Lighting since it should also work with minimal changes.
Sponsored