Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
If you could manage to add a "DC Charging View" I think a lot of people would be interested, especially if you could make it say "Limited by vehicle" or "Limited by charger" in regards to the charging speed. Also show current battery temp, kW, amps, volts, kWh added, time to 80% and optionally price.

I have to use Car Scanner when DC charging to keep an eye on things, but it would be nice to have an app that does it and makes it pretty.
That and a whole lot more can be done but I am just one guy in his basement banging my head until late into the night. o_O

Sky's the limit on features but I technically end at the end of the month and head outdoors for the summer. But I have to go back and finish OBD Record companion app so it works reliably and records the most useful trip and carrying data. Which means quitting on April 1st isn't going to happen.

I will hit you up for your list of CarScanner PIDs that you would like to see, once they are pushed to the cloud adding a viewer in OBD Play is pretty simple but to do this I need to sort out the CAN bus messages for the DCFC sensors.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just edited the original post on page one with a link to the OBD Play first beta:

Original Post (as an Update)

Update: Feedback has been positive and tester limit is now 25.

It is limited to just 10 25 but if the feedback is good it will be opened up to more, I just need to conserve everyone's time in case I made a major faux pas trying to manage everything.

Last edited:

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I just installed from TestFlight and am off to read the instructions.

Thank you!

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
ok so i installed it. just to understand, there's no point in setting up a private influxDB at the moment, right? it doesn't look like there's any way to connect to the OBD device.

edit: seems to work fine, no crashes on the test database and VIN.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ok so i installed it. just to understand, there's no point in setting up a private influxDB at the moment, right? it doesn't look like there's any way to connect to the OBD device.

edit: seems to work fine, no crashes on the test database and VIN.
Correct, the companion app OBD Record app needs a little more work before it is distributed the same way. I use it almost daily to record the trips and charges you are viewing but it does have a few glitches to be ironed out.

Which is why you have the demo vehicle/data source to play with for now since I will continue to improve OBD Play with any feedback I receive.

Edit: unless you wanted to download my data and upload to your InfluxDB instance (because you can), my data source is read-only for testers.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I played with the test data for a while. A couple of nits (no crashes, no major bugs). I will copy and paste this into a TestFlight report too.

Version 0.71.3 (cdd550c)
  • When I selected a trip in the Trips tab, and then a location in that trip that opened a new view, I had a tendency to swipe right to got back up a level. Just muscle memory and obviously I could go back from the left arrow at the top.
  • When in the Settings tab, when I select let’s say Vehicles, when I then go back to Settings, the table fills and then the title (Settings) draws and pushes the data table down. I tapped the same row a few times because I was faster than the Title drawing.
  • In Settings>General>System, Administrator is misspelled as “Administator”.
  • In Settings>Help>Trips Tab, under Active Data Source, it seems like that sentence should end with a “to”. “This is the data source OBD Play is currently connected.” feels strange. Same for Charges.
  • In Settings>Help>Settings, under General, ”OBD PLlay” has an extra “L”.
Thanks

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I played with the test data for a while. A couple of nits (no crashes, no major bugs). I will copy and paste this into a TestFlight report too.

Version 0.71.3 (cdd550c)
  • When I selected a trip in the Trips tab, and then a location in that trip that opened a new view, I had a tendency to swipe right to got back up a level. Just muscle memory and obviously I could go back from the left arrow at the top.
  • When in the Settings tab, when I select let’s say Vehicles, when I then go back to Settings, the table fills and then the title (Settings) draws and pushes the data table down. I tapped the same row a few times because I was faster than the Title drawing.
  • In Settings>General>System, Administrator is misspelled as “Administator”.
  • In Settings>Help>Trips Tab, under Active Data Source, it seems like that sentence should end with a “to”. “This is the data source OBD Play is currently connected.” feels strange. Same for Charges.
  • In Settings>Help>Settings, under General, ”OBD PLlay” has an extra “L”.
Thanks
Thanks, I need Xcode to spell check my strings. 😥 There is so much I don’t know and the UI/UX just sort of happened. I’ll fix what I can but since you can see these quirks the install and onboarding worked. Next up I need to get the Record app into the wild so you can work with your own vehicle data.

And I prefer to use the discussions page on GitHub so information gets posted in one place and I don’t miss anything important. Technically this works with any vehicle that you can pull the data, I can just as easily tracks trips on my Honda Ridgeline if I can access the key position, gear selected, and odometer.

Edit: Just saw your feedback in TestFlight which is nice. But only I see that so anyone with something to share publicly the GitHub discussion is the way to go. Perhaps why I posted the TestFlight link there to make sure you know it exisTs.

Last edited:

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thanks, I need Xcode to spell check my strings. 😥 There is so much I don’t know and the UI/UX just sort of happened. I’ll fix what I can but since you can see these quirks the install and onboarding worked. Next up I need to get the Record app into the wild so you can work with your own vehicle data.

And I prefer to use the discussions page on GitHub so information gets posted in one place and I don’t miss anything important. Technically this works with any vehicle that you can pull the data, I can just as easily tracks trips on my Honda Ridgeline if I can access the key position, gear selected, and odometer.

Edit: Just saw your feedback in TestFlight which is nice. But only I see that so anyone with something to share publicly the GitHub discussion is the way to go. Perhaps why I posted the TestFlight link there to make sure you know it exisTs.
I will share it on the Github page too. Like I said, they’re nits, not crashes, things seemed to work like I thought they would. Can’t wait to try it with real life data.

Thanks for doing this.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Nice! If you have any more invites, I'd love to try it out. We're testing a California Route 1 (vs our GT) this week and it would make it so much easier to track efficiency and energy used.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice! If you have any more invites, I'd love to try it out. We're testing a California Route 1 (vs our GT) this week and it would make it so much easier to track efficiency and energy used.
You can still grab a copy but it won’t help you this week since you are unable to record your own data until the companion app OBD Record is available.

It’s close and now my priority since nothing bad has shown up in the first release of the OBD Play app. 🤞

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Not sure if you noticed, but if you charge to 100% you will not really see more than about 80 kWh EtE (even when the pack is warm).
Last Spring I was able to measure over 90 kWh EtE, but that was when the battery SoH was close to 100%.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data Screenshot_20230315-105113_Gallery

Now that the battery SoH is 92%, I get around 84 kWh EtE. Maybe your battery SoH is lower than mine?

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data Screenshot_20230315-104911_Gallery

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Thanks, the first test is go live tonight. In case you are wondering we met at the Ford/Shelby show last June.

What I need is a F-150 Lighting since it should also work with minimal changes.
You had the red MME? I had some of those dust mats / inserts from AOSK I meant to give you if you had wanted. I forgot to even offer.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last Spring I was able to measure over 90 kWh EtE, but that was when the battery SoH was close to 100%.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data Screenshot_20230315-104911_Gallery

Now that the battery SoH is 92%, I get around 84 kWh EtE. Maybe your battery SoH is lower than mine?

How long have you had the car and how many miles on it?

I have to double check mine but I think it was 97% SOH with almost 13k miles and 1 year of ownership

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Screenshot_20230315-105113_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230315-104911_Gallery.jpg
SoC displayed has integer resolution and is the value you see in the instrument panel, there is another SoC PID that has 0.5 resolLutron. I suppose that 99% could be 99.5% or 98.5% depending on how afore rounds it.

I can make a shameless plug on tracking your SoH:

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1678895313603
Sponsored