First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Just now got notification that my Ford pass has been activated. It can see where my MME is on a map. Hoping I will be able to see its progress from Mexico to Ottawa.

just got notification that my Ford Pass has been activated. I can see my MME at the plant in Mexico. Hopefully I can track it all the way to Ottawa!!!

B633C4F5-79B5-4205-ACF6-D5141703DDFB.png

D01CDF3C-DDFA-4627-84DD-6ABBB2261E06.png
This is really cool.

Except, this seems like a security problem to me. If I had or guessed your vin, I could see where it is on a map, and its battery status?

There's a trust relationship issue here. It shouldn't let us see this information until we've confirming pairing to our FordPass account while physically sitting in the vehicle.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
This is really cool.

Except, this seems like a security problem to me. If I had or guessed your vin, I could see where it is on a map, and its battery status?

There's a trust relationship issue here. It shouldn't let us see this information until we've confirming pairing to our FordPass account while physically sitting in the vehicle.
It's not like we have a spreadsheet tracking orders and vins or anything ?

And once cars are in owners hands, anyone walking by in any parking lot can grab the vin.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
It's not like we have a spreadsheet tracking orders and vins or anything ?

And once cars are in owners hands, anyone walking by in any parking lot can grab the vin.
Get some fake ID and get to the dealership first. ?

When I first heard about the app I thought maybe I could track my MME’s transport progress, then you guys with the first build dates crushed my dreams with your reports on the app and pairing details. Now I see it might be possible again.

This is such a rollercoaster of emotion.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This is really cool.

Agreed.
30km and it still is at the factory?
That vehicle must not be in Transport Mode like the others...

For what its worth, I am not able to see that detail on my vehicle. If I try and connect it tells me to start the car and enter the code displayed on the screen.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OKTB today..? Screenshot_20201118-222237_FordPass

Last edited:
Reactions: DBC

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is really cool.

Not sure what the security issue is here. Even with the VIN, you have to correctly log into your FordPass account in order to see any information about your vehicle. As long as you are not in the habit about giving out user names and passwords, no one else can access the data. (Does Ford have an administrator override for emergencies?) Even if Macchiaz-O has my VIN, he can't do anything with that information.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Not sure what the security issue is here. Even with the VIN, you have to correctly log into your FordPass account in order to see any information about your vehicle. As long as you are not in the habit about giving out user names and passwords, no one else can access the data. (Does Ford have an administrator override for emergencies?) Even if Macchiaz-O has my VIN, he can't do anything with that information.
I can pull up just about any Ford vehicle VIN from a car sales listing and add it to my FordPass account.

That's fine, it's just giving me information about the as-built vehicle associated with the VIN.

The problem becomes if I'm able to see live data from the vehicle itself, that I do not own. For instance it's location and charge level. I should not be granted access to that as a non-owner.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Agreed.
30km and it still is at the factory?
That vehicle must not be in Transport Mode like the others...

For what its worth, I am not able to see that detail on my vehicle. If I try and connect it tells me to start the car and enter the code displayed on the screen.

Screenshot_20201118-222237_FordPass.jpg
I wonder if someone at the factory saw the pairing request that @Thor188 initiated and they decided to approve it while they were coincidentally sitting in the car.

I am still puzzled that this would work though. IIRC, the 3rd party developer agreement makes clear that certain API calls are restricted to a geofence around the car. I'm surprised that the initial pairing wouldn't also have a distance constraint.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I wonder if someone at the factory saw the pairing request that @Thor188 initiated and they decided to approve it while they were coincidentally sitting in the car.

I am still puzzled that this would work though. IIRC, the 3rd party developer agreement makes clear that certain API calls are restricted to a geofence around the car. I'm surprised that the initial pairing wouldn't also have a distance constraint.
Perhaps a clue as to why OKTB hasnt been authorized yet?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

@Thor188's car is destination Canada I believe. I wonder if that has anything to do with this? I believe the Canadian cars were scheduled very early. Not built early....just scheduled for building. Not sure that matters at all but just throwing it out there just in case.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well I guess i'll have to bother my dealer again in order to get a build date and a VIN. :rolleyes:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
From the home page go to « vehicle details ». Middle of the home page.
Are you activated or have just been granted authorization to track (popped up)? Not sure how they authenticate your phone other than VIN and a possible new account. I have got I am not the primary user of the account and now just Error unable to complete when I tried to activate it. Out of range I thought but could not help trying as it is a button ;). What is new in fordpass, this morning, is in the my vehicle section it now shows a pic of my car (previously nothing). You were on the 23th me the 26th so if it pops up tracking would be kool ?:cool:. So where yours now; coming home yet?

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
when did you reserved?
Last january and order was place late june I believe by the dealer and I made nyself at the idea that I would get my car in march or april. In order to achieve that my car would need to be build in january or february cause of a +/-8 weeks of delivery. It's a bit frustrating right now seeing people who reserved/ordered later that have a build date and VIN , and that my dealer can't give me anything or not communicating. But I guess it's the name of the game and the season I suppose. :confused:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last january and order was place late june I believe by the dealer and I made nyself at the idea that I would get my car in march or april. In order to achieve that my car would need to be build in january or february cause of a +/-8 weeks of delivery. It's a bit frustrating right now seeing people who reserved/ordered later that have a build date and VIN , and that my dealer can't give me anything or not communicating. But I guess it's the name of the game and the season I suppose. :confused:
You need a vin from him. If all Canucks were scheduled early (not built) he should be able to get it and give it to you. Once you have that you can get a lot of info off the links posted on this forum ?. You can add it to the fordpass app also.
Sponsored