One Pedal Drive Issue

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Could be why I never feel anything. I only charge to 90% so regen has somewhere to put the juice. That was something I learned from driving the Bolt. If it was fully charged regen braking was disabled.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I have charged to 100% when I was about to depart on a long trip. I never noticed anything different with 1PD / regen when I departed fully charged.

I assumed it was because even charged at 100%, there is still unused battery capacity. ?‍♂

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I have charged to 100% when I was about to depart on a long trip. I never noticed anything different with 1PD / regen when I departed fully charged.

I assumed it was because even charged at 100%, there is still unused battery capacity. ?‍♂
There is, a 10% hidden buffer. We don't know if it's on the top or bottom end. Most likely split between the two.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I tried it like you said. I have the AWD X.
No shake. No vibration. No noise. No wobble. No issues at all.

jdsimard2012

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
It's the deceleration when releasing the accelerator where I'm getting the shudder. It shakes really bad. Has to be something with the regen. Then it goes away after driving a while in one pedal mode.
Interesting - I don't get that on my car.

OP
OP
FME

FME

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD/EX
Country flag
I decided to wait for the car I ordered.

It's due the last week of July if they hold to their estimate. I guess I'd rather start new than with the demo car.

Not waiting for the tax credit would have been nice but I've waited this long I can wait another few weeks.

Thank you guys for trying this for me. The only time this has happened is when the battery was at 100% and I went right to one pedal drive and up to 50-60 mph and let go of the accelerator.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for that information.
You might be on to something.

Both times I noticed this the car was charged to 100% and as drove it, battery percentage went down and issue went away.

Actually the last time I drove it the percentage was 100% and showed like 320 miles remaining. I was thinking that's a lot better than advertised. The last person to drive it must of been very easy on it.

Makes sense… 100% charge and trying to force more into the battery. It doesn’t like it. Now I think I read something about this before.
If the battery is at 100%, then likely regen braking is disabled until the battery is "receptive". As a result all braking effort is achieved via the friction brakes. If the friction brakes haven't been used in a while they may have rust and the sounds your experiencing may just be a result of the rust being scraped off. It likely goes away after driving a little bit because: 1) the friction brakes have been sufficiently "cleaned" and 2) the battery charge has now decreased to re-enable regen braking.

I believe I've read about this on Tesla's where they won't enable one-pedal driving braking at all with a completely full charge. At least Ford's braking is smart enough to blend between friction and regen as needed (even when pressing the brake pedal it will still blend, unlike Tesla where the brake pedal is all friction).

Trains have a similar concept, the regen braking energy can only go back into the catenary if the line is receptive, otherwise it will just get burned off in a big resistor bank (which our cars don't have, so regen braking is just disabled).

wolmart2

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Infinity, 2017 Volvo
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am glad to see that most of the Mach E drivers are not having this issue. Unfortunately I am. MY 2021 Premium AWD shutters a bit when decelerating. It seems to be less prevalent at slow speeds but always there above 50 mph. I tried to explain this to the dealer when I had it in for service, but their remark was that it's inherent to one petal. I should use my breaks. (Not the resolution I was looking for)

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
... it's inherent to one petal. I should use my breaks.
That's utter and total hogwash! Your advisor is a shill for the brake pad company, clearly.

I'd guess either it's CHeil402's rusty brake issue (seems likely) or you've got a bad sensor telling the regen system the SOC so it can't decide if it can charge or not.

You shouldn't keep your car charged to 100%, in any case. I kept my Tesla set to 90%-95%, and only charged to 100% if I knew I was going to want/need the range. It's better for the battery, and better for regen braking.

My Tesla often reduced or disabled regen, but it usually let up quickly as things warmed up and the batteries lost some charge.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I am glad to see that most of the Mach E drivers are not having this issue. Unfortunately I am. MY 2021 Premium AWD shutters a bit when decelerating. It seems to be less prevalent at slow speeds but always there above 50 mph. I tried to explain this to the dealer when I had it in for service, but their remark was that it's inherent to one petal. I should use my breaks. (Not the resolution I was looking for)
Good afternoon! Thanks for reaching out to us about your Mach-E's one pedal drive performance concerns. I would be happy to look into this on my end. To get started, could you please send over the name/location of your purchasing Ford dealer and your Mach-E's VIN.

wolmart2

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Infinity, 2017 Volvo
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Good afternoon! Thanks for reaching out to us about your Mach-E's one pedal drive performance concerns. I would be happy to look into this on my end. To get started, could you please send over the name/location of your purchasing Ford dealer and your Mach-E's VIN.
Ford of Smithtown
440 Middle Country Rd,
St James, NY 11780

VIN: 3FMTK3SS9MMA05932

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Hi, thank you for your response. Can you send this info in a DM and I would be happy to take care of your concerns privately.
Aw, come on - we like to air everything out here- all the dirty laundry, all the time! Probably more efficient to not have a public conversation, but we expect a full report on our desk by close of business on the eleventeenth. With sticky notes and colored pens.
Sponsored