One Pedal Drive Inconsistencies

DRJJJJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium Std Range, RWD, LFP
Country flag
Hello,

I am observing inconsistent behavior with one pedal driving and wondering if it is normal. I keep car on engage mode and I find sometimes the car stops much quicker whens accelerator is released compared to other times when I have to actively engage the brake. I feel like this is speed dependent, and of course the faster you’re going the longer it takes to stop. But seems as if sometimes coast is much longer, as if same slow down rate not being applied. Makes it more difficult to learn. Any insights?
Sponsored

Tawna

First Name
Tawna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E premium
Country flag
I've not noticed this and I always drive in engage and 1 pedal. My brain is programmed to judge distance now for stopping. I rarely use the break pedal.

OP
OP

DRJJJJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am trying to train myself and for the most part I got it, then it decides not to stop as quickly and throws me off .

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
I don't think the same slow down rate is suppose to be the same. You dont coast or engage the mechanical brakes in 1PD. Once you lift its braking.

OP
OP

DRJJJJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right, and I try only use the accelerator pedal. When I release it stops relatively quickly 80% of time and other times it does not and I have to engage the brake. Trying to figure out why so I can better train myself.

Electrifiedsince2013

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MachE, 2020 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
health care
Country flag
I got my car in July 2022, drove exclusively with 1pd until the first snow/ice (Michigan) which was mid-November. I had a bad experience because when you release the gas, you are breaking…that’s bad on ice. I didn’t go back to it this spring.

however, I recall some inconsistency with 1pd. It was rare, but I agree, I was generally able to gauge the distance to stop, but there were a few times when I seemed to be slowing much less than anticipated and I required the brake pedal. That is one of the reasons I didn’t go back to it following winter this year.

OP
OP

DRJJJJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good point. Maybe it's by design, but trying to crack the code so I know when to expect it. I do really enjoy one pedal driving and live in the south so winter weather not a concern. Just want to be able to be confident in it.

Vgkfan

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mme premium ER AWD 2016 Kia, 2003 Honda
Country flag
I definitely notice the braking seems inconsisten. I thought possibly related to software updates. I mostly drive in unbridled mode.

OP
OP

DRJJJJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are driving in a slight upgrade or downgrade, it will affect the 1pd breaking.
I will have to pay more attention to that, but seems to be mostly flat when I notice.

Deleted member 16048

I will have to pay more attention to that, but seems to be mostly flat when I notice.
And also like others have said. If your battery is at a high SOC. (100% - 95%ish) you'll see a difference. This is because there isn't anywhere for the power to go.

I've only ever noticed a difference when going downhill or up, and at high SOC. All of which is normal behavior.

dono

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E select AWD SR, 1930 Model A Ford 427
Occupation
Retired oracle DBA
Country flag
I did some testing when I got my job 1 select SR awd in March 2021. I live on a dead end dirt road with a pretty steep grade. In the winter it gets icy as you don't salt dirt roads. I found that 1PD in unbridled was so aggressive it brought in the anti-lock brakes, not good. Running in engage mode was the best on the icy hill it would slow down faster and more consistently than I could with the brakes. Another plus to 1 PD is reaction time it starts to slow down as soon as your off the accelerator. Gives you a 3/4 second advantage maybe all you need to avoid hitting something.

Graction

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-e GT
Country flag
Interesting, I occasionally wonder the same thing. I’ve noticed sometimes it doesn’t stop as quickly as I expect, but then I’m not sure if it’s speed or hill related and chalk it up to one of those.
Sponsored