Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Select
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Country flag
I’m trying to determine what the difference is in the efficacy of regeneration braking when using “L” mode vs 1 pedal drive. My understanding is that standard mode yields the least amount of regeneration braking gains, and obviously One Pedal Drive yields the most, assuming you do it correctly. I guess what I am asking, if anyone knows, is whether or not “L” mode is almost as good as one pedal drive, or is it not even close in terms of extending range. As I play with the different drive modes I think my preference is using Standard Drive mode with “L” and i’m interested in how efficient that actually is.

Thanks for your responses.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Efficacy of regenerative braking is the same in all modes, regardless of L or no L.

It's all about how quickly you demand deceleration and acceleration. Larger negative and positive values of acceleration are generally less efficient than smaller values.

kgautam28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eco boost 2016, 2021 Mach e FE, 2022 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Efficacy of regenerative braking is the same in all modes, regardless of L or no L.

It's all about how quickly you demand deceleration and acceleration. Larger negative and positive values of acceleration are generally less efficient than smaller values.
Question was
One pedal drive with Regen v/s no one pedal drive and only mode L

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
L mode is more made for going down steep hills but you can technically use it whenever you want according to the manual.

"You can activate this position at any vehicle speed which provides an increased level of deceleration when you lift off the accelerator pedal. You can use low (L) at all times, if desired, but improving drivability while descending grades is the intent. Entering low (L) does not take any actions if one pedal drive is active."

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'm mostly driving in Unbridled. Selecting L on the stupid rotary dial (I hate that thing - I want a real linear shifter) doesn't seem to do anything (unless the increased amount of electromagnically-generated deceleration is so slight that you can't feel it by the seat of your pants) when in Unbridled. ?‍♂?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Question was
....and the answer remains the same. As macchiaz-o explained......regeneration occurs in all modes. It is not exclusive to 1PD. Therefore efficiency is the same with either setting.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I’m trying to determine what the difference is in the efficacy of regeneration braking when using “L” mode vs 1 pedal drive. My understanding is that standard mode yields the least amount of regeneration braking gains, and obviously One Pedal Drive yields the most, assuming you do it correctly. I guess what I am asking, if anyone knows, is whether or not “L” mode is almost as good as one pedal drive, or is it not even close in terms of extending range. As I play with the different drive modes I think my preference is using Standard Drive mode with “L” and i’m interested in how efficient that actually is.

Thanks for your responses.
There is no real measurable difference in efficiency. Operationally, you will need to use the brake pedal to bring the vehicle to a complete stop with 1PD turned off. Other than that, there isn't much difference except for the level of regen is generally greater in 1PD with foot off accelerator compared to "L" with 1PD turned off (which is the only way L functions anyway). Even then, the level of regen can be supplemented with application of the brake pedal to equal the amount achieved in 1PD.

If you like having your foot on the brake at stop lights, parking lots, parking ramps or places with lots of pedestrians or animals then you are fine leaving 1PD turned off and using L. No issues and range will be the same.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Question was
....and the answer remains the same. As macchiaz-o explained......regeneration occurs in all modes. It is not exclusive to 1PD. Therefore efficiency is the same with either setting.
Yes, exactly. ☝ What he said. ?

Mustang Mach-E regenerative efficiency peaks when the driver gradually adjusts the vehicle's velocity, aka small values of acceleration (and deceleration). The less regenerative and mechanical braking used, the better.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Above posters are correct that "efficacy of regeneration" is the same in all modes because of the Mach-Es blended braking. Meaning, even with 1PD off, when you press the brake pedal, the car first calls upon motor regen before seamlessly switching to the friction brakes. For this reason, it's impossible to brake the Mach-E without first accessing regen, even when 1PD is off.

You have to press the brake pedal surprisingly hard before the friction brakes are engaged, when 1PD is off. I'd say you can go up to moderate braking force without engaging the friction brakes at all.

That being said, I think what OP might have been asking about is how strong 1PD accelerator liftoff regen is compared to accelerator liftoff regen when 1PD is off but L mode is on.

First, OP should know that with 1PD off, the drive modes are ranked as follows as far as liftoff regen goes:

Whisper - No liftoff regen.

Engaged - A small amount of liftoff regen; think of those cars that can hold your speed automatically while going down a hill so you don't keep going faster and faster.

Unbridled - Moderate amount of liftoff regen. People describe it like driving a manual. I don't drive manuals so don't really know that sensation. To me it feels like someone mildly pressing the brakes if you liftoff the accelerator completely in Unbridled.

In any of these modes, activating L will add an additional amount of liftoff regen. However, I think the total amount of liftoff regen is not the same between the three modes when L is selected - I think (but am not sure) that the mode you are in impacts your total liftoff regen when L is selected and 1PD is off.

When 1PD is activated, I think (but again, am not sure, maybe someone who drives with 1PD can weigh in), that 1PD overrides your base mode and all three modes offer the same maximum liftoff regen when 1PD is active.

I also think (but again, am not sure), that L doesn't do anything for you when 1PD is active because 1PD is already giving you 100% of the liftoff regen the Mach-E is capable of. Indeed, the manual says "Entering low (L) does not take any actions if one pedal drive is active."

Colorider

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD
Country flag
Please don’t use “L” as a brake!

The level of regen seems to be on par with 1PD but it is very important to note that your brake lights DO NOT LIGHT UP IN L the way they do with 1PD.

My last car was a Mariner Hybrid and I had been in the habit of using L every time I stopped to increase my regen. At first I used the same technique in my MME and loved how responsive it was. However, after I got my bike rack, I was able to actually notice the brake light behavior (or lack there of) when the lights reflect off my bike. With 1PD, the light shines the moment you lift off the pedal and continues to shine. With L, the deceleration is nearly identical as 1PD but no brake lights so the car behind you doesn’t get a warning you are decelerating. It isn’t worth the risk of being rear ended!

I generally get ~98% recapture with just the brake pedal in Whisper mode which is enough for me. I get 100% in 1PD but dislike the overall experience. If Ford made the brake light logic similar in L as 1PD, I would use it frequently.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
However, after I got my bike rack, I was able to actually notice the brake light behavior (or lack there of) when the lights reflect off my bike. With 1PD, the light shines the moment you lift off the pedal and continues to shine. With L, the deceleration is nearly identical as 1PD but no brake lights so the car behind you doesn’t get a warning you are decelerating. It isn’t worth the risk of being rear ended!
Thanks for this! I have been experimenting with L and had a car ride up on my rear end quickly and the thought briefly crossed my mind of the brake lights. I didn't know 1PD illuminated them at pedal liftoff. Learned something new!

Colorider

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD
Country flag
Where are the measurements?
I wish we had something that actually showed what our energy usage/storage rate was real time! However, you can use Brake performance in Trip as a proxy. If your current trip is 100% on braking, there really isn’t anything to measure—the car is capturing all the energy it can so you can assume all modes are equal at that point. If perhaps one mode actually did generate a higher rate, the car can’t store it.

The moment you are a little heavier on the brake, that percentage will drop. It might go to 99% for a slight friction brake or it will go down quickly in a panic stop. You can watch the brake coach for an assessment of each individual stop.
Sponsored