Optimal Battery Charge Level?

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
I'm having the same issues in the most recent Android update for the fordpass app (can't get to the max charge setting without crashing). In the interim, I've just had to manually disconnect via the app once I hit 90%. Not ideal but hoping a later app update fixes this
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I just went in to try this since I haven't been able to figure out how to change charge % and the latest version of Ford Pass app on my Galaxy S21 now completely crashes every single time I try to go into the Charge Settings ?‍♂. Why they didn't put the ability to do this in the infotainment is beyond me. My Bolt can get to this setting on the infotainment screen in 1 tap and there's a nice easy slider right there on the screen. Come on, Ford!
they do; that's where I set mine

Monkeyking

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC 60 recharge, Mach E AWD premium
Country flag
I just went in to try this since I haven't been able to figure out how to change charge % and the latest version of Ford Pass app on my Galaxy S21 now completely crashes every single time I try to go into the Charge Settings ?‍♂. Why they didn't put the ability to do this in the infotainment is beyond me. My Bolt can get to this setting on the infotainment screen in 1 tap and there's a nice easy slider right there on the screen. Come on, Ford!
I did this on the big screen in the car. Press the mustang on top left corner to open up the car menu. Press “setting”, then select “charge” on the left pane. This bring up the charge screen. Go to charge scheduling. It will allow you to set max charging and charge time.

Don’t use Ford pass. It hasn’t worked consistently for me.

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
I did this on the big screen in the car. Press the mustang on top left corner to open up the car menu. Press “setting”, then select “charge” on the left pane. This bring up the charge screen. Go to charge scheduling. It will allow you to set max charging and charge time.

Don’t use Ford pass. It hasn’t worked consistently for me.
Ugh thank you, I found this.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I've heard you're not supposed to charge EVs to 100% for your daily driving. Is that true? What should my charge level be?
Tips to prolong your EV battery’s life
While battery degradation varies by model and external conditions – such as climate and charging type – the majority of vehicles on the road today have not experienced significant decline. In fact, overall degradation has been very modest, with an average capacity loss of just 2.3% per year. Under ideal climate and charging conditions, the loss is 1.6%.

While some things are out of an operator’s control, there are ways you can extend the life of your EV’s battery.

Some tips for operating your EVs:
  • Avoid keeping your car sitting with a full or empty charge. Ideally, keep your SOC between 20–80% particularly when leaving it for longer periods, and only charge it fully for long distance trips.
  • Minimize fast charging (DCFC). Some high-use duty cycles will need a faster charge, but if your vehicle sits overnight, level 2 should be sufficient for the majority of your charging needs.
  • Climate is out of an operator’s control, but do what you can to avoid extreme hot temperatures, such as choosing shade when parked on hot days.
  • High-use is not a concern, so fleets shouldn’t hesitate to put them to work. An EV isn’t useful sitting idle in the fleet yard, and putting on more miles per vehicle is overall a better fleet management practice.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It is also recommended that cars be plugged in when temps are very low or very high. For the Bolt, the GM manual says to keep it plugged in when below 32 and above 90. They use the charger power for battery conditioning. I live in Phoenix and my Bolt has sat in the garage at 90% charge for the last three days, I have been enjoying driving the new Mach E. Periodically I can hear the cooling fan and pumps running on the Bolt, even though it is not charging. That said, I have never heard the Mach E fan come on when not charging, which seems odd to me. The temps here were recently 117 and up to 110 in the garage. The Mach E gives me messages to plug in due to the hot temperature, yet it does not appear to run the cooling system.

moocrab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
It is also recommended that cars be plugged in when temps are very low or very high. For the Bolt, the GM manual says to keep it plugged in when below 32 and above 90. They use the charger power for battery conditioning. I live in Phoenix and my Bolt has sat in the garage at 90% charge for the last three days, I have been enjoying driving the new Mach E. Periodically I can hear the cooling fan and pumps running on the Bolt, even though it is not charging. That said, I have never heard the Mach E fan come on when not charging, which seems odd to me. The temps here were recently 117 and up to 110 in the garage. The Mach E gives me messages to plug in due to the hot temperature, yet it does not appear to run the cooling system.
I'm really interested in this topic. I've only have my Mach-E for 4 days now and the GOM is wildy inaccurate due to the low mileage (<200), but it seems like I may have lost 4% charge between yesterday evening and this afternoon. I park in a garage so the ambient temperature should remain in the 90's. I saw the message to connect to a charger, but I have not yet had an l2 installed and didn't want to fiddle operate the l1. Still to new to this starting to get some anxiety.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
the GOM is wildy inaccurate
THIS. It has nothing to do with it being new. Unless you plot a course, the thing can only guess where you're going and how fast you'll drive - so it is generally very conservative.

Still to new to this starting to get some anxiety.
I did too at first, but it's a piece of cake once you get accustomed to it.
Sponsored