Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended Range Space White
Occupation
Author
Country flag
It took eight days, but my Order Accepted finally showed a green check mark today. I suspected it was going to happen soon because I signed a pre order form on Friday that had all of my options for the car and the price we agreed to.

Now I can wait for the email from Ford showing that they received the order.

Patience does pay off.
Sponsored

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I’m hoping we get a few updates about where we are in the queue.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is tricky though since Ford does need the dealerships. If dealers went away overnight Ford would be in a lot of trouble as their sales would plummet to zero and it is extremely expensive to build up their own retail infrastructure from nothing. Ideally, they would want a very slow transition to online or direct sales.
Yep. But there is one aspect of dealerships that's still very big though -- immediate stock. Some customers are fine ordering a vehicle and waiting weeks for delivery, but many aren't that patient. They want to see the selection in person, fall in love with a specific car, and drive it away that day. That's where in-stock inventory at dealerships is a big selling point over ordering a vehicle.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m hoping we get a few updates about where we are in the queue.
I'm guessing that's not the way it will work, since I doubt the queue is really a sequential queue, but rather a more complicated series of "blocks" that would be very hard to explain to buyers. Instead, I suspect there may be a rough delivery date estimate for each vehicle.

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It is tricky though since Ford does need the dealerships. If dealers went away overnight Ford would be in a lot of trouble as their sales would plummet to zero and it is extremely expensive to build up their own retail infrastructure from nothing. Ideally, they would want a very slow transition to online or direct sales.
Not necessarily: Ford has a huge real-estate arm ("Ford Land") and suddenly there would be these parcels of land up for sale specifically set up to sell cars!? Who knew?

Not saying it wouldn't be tough and expensive though.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yep. But there is one aspect of dealerships that's still very big though -- immediate stock. Some customers are fine ordering a vehicle and waiting weeks for delivery, but many aren't that patient. They want to see the selection in person, fall in love with a specific car, and drive it away that day. That's where in-stock inventory at dealerships is a big selling point over ordering a vehicle.
Generally, that's me - nearly every car I've bought has been because it was there, on the lot, at that moment in time. The Mach-E isn't the first car I've ordered - my second Honda Civic Hybrid was in that category, because I wanted fully loaded and that wasn't a common thing around here - but it is the first one I've waited... [checks notes] 19 years for (*). The HCH was only a few weeks - pretty much was in the front of the queue so it was as much waiting for the boat from Japan and the shipping as anything else.

I suspect this is true for most people. In fact, I am pretty sure I've never met anyone in person that ordered a car, versus just buying whatever was there when they were looking. After all, you can't test drive an ordered car, and you can't make an emotional, immediate connection to an ordered car. ;)

(*) I'm exaggerating of course. (**)

(**) slightly
Sponsored